Thank You, I Must Be Going.

As much fun as I’ve had, the time has finally come for me to sign off here at Peach Pundit. I’ve enjoyed my time here as participant in Georgia’s best political conversation for at least a decade, and especially enjoyed serving as an editor for the last five years.

Whether getting lessons in libel laws from Pedo Bear, trying to find Paul Broun a job, discussing Georgia Power’s menu, or interviewing the former governor who invented Common Core, I’ve tried to keep it entertaining and provocative. (And who could forget the jet packs?) Some of you have appreciated my point of view, others not so much, but thanks to all of you for reading and responding.

I want to leave this space making sure to thank Clayton and Erick for putting Peach Pundit together and letting me be a part of the conversation. I also owe a great deal of thanks to Charlie, who “elevated” me to the role of “front pager” and then editor. But I especially want to thank you commenters -who laughed at my jokes, challenged my positions and made me defend my arguments. The comment threads here have been raucous and  sometimes rude, but they never failed to teach me something. There’s an internet rule to “Never read the comments.” Y’all have always been the exception to that rule, and proven that conversation, dialogue and debate are always valuable.

As far as what’s next for this site, that’s not up to me, but I encourage anyone who wants to write about Georgia politics at the most public place on the internet to do so to contact Clayton (via clayton -at- peachpundit.com) and offer up your services. Peach Pundit is a highly visible platform under a white-hot spotlight, so bring a big soapbox and sing your best song. I recommend being able to write and having a thick skin. And I hope the next set of contributors will take good care of Peach Pundit -I’m kind of fond of it.

My plans include more of the same, only elsewhere. The Peach Pundit Daily will continue, although obviously under a different name and probably with less frequency. Look for it in your inboxes later this week. As much as some of you might not like it, you’ll continue to hear from me. I hope you’ll keep reading and listening and arguing back and calling me out when I make you mad and laughing when I deserve it.

Thanks again. I’ll see you on the other side.

1. Feeling the Bern says:

This talent bleed-out is worse than a wedding party in “Game of Thrones”.

All this, on top of David Bowie’s sudden demise.

le sigh

2. seekingtounderstand says:

Where everyone knows your name…………Peach Pundit Cheers!
    This site always felt like folks (some stranger than others) bellying up to the bar to discuss politics with the other locals. And you knew you where going to learn something you didn’t know, laugh, and maybe be annoyed.
    Damn now where will people go to chat about local political gossip. Those in power must be so relieved that this site is closing…………

3. Tea Party says:

Love from PeachPundit, now there’s a striking post, Ms. Scarlet Hawk – Now there is an endorsement of how PP has impacting individuals. I’d like to point out and impactful, but overlooked, consequence of the site – charitable advocacy.

I came to know and use PP for effective and FREE pol advocacy, as a freshly minted government relations volunteer with major, national illness support charity. The organization was able to successfully fight a House bill that would have cratered Georgia’s 30 year, multi-million dollar investment in medically ethical stem cell research using PP as a venue for distributing factual information.

Before that, I was able to vet ideas and gauge opposition in the Dunwoody cityhood debate.

These are two real examples whereby a person with knowledge of pol advocacy techniques was able to advance public policy conversations. This site provides an ability to easily communicate policy positions with policymakers – access, to all.

If anything else is to be done with Peach Pundit, please continue to make it a place where public policy, as well as, politics, may be discussed – with vigor and civility.

Best luck moving forward,

LML

• BonnieK says:

Enjoyed keeping up with Georgia as well as local politics via your columns. Best of luck in your newest endeavor!

4. KD_fiscal conservative says:

Mike, your posts, all full of some combination of hilarity, sarcasm and cynicism, will be missed.

5. NoTeabagging says:

Thanks for all your work and posts and lively discussions that followed. I am just checking in to PP after a long absence. I came here to read real issues and get info from serious, well informed commenters. Thanks to all that added to the discussions and helped me understand political and real world issues in our state. Where will we go from here?