Morning Reads for Tuesday, December 29, 2015

It’s time to plan your New Year’s Day dinner, and that means black-eyed peas – or Hoppin’ John – (for luck) and greens (for money). How you prepare your greens is entirely up to you, as is which kind of green you choose to prepare (we are a cabbage family). Hopefully, you saved the bone from the ham you served with your holiday dinner, because there’s no tastier way to cook your beans than with a leftover ham bone (pro tip: you can buy just a bone at any Honeybaked Ham store).

Less cooking, mor(ning)e reading:

For the comments, what’s your favorite Georgia (mis)pronunciation? I knew I’d lived in Georgia for a long time when I wanted a Martinez and asked the bartender for a “MAR-ti-nez.”

1. xdog says:

Teri, you can also buy ham hocks for seasoning at your favorite market. I prefer the fresh hocks but smoked are available too.

2. saltycracker says:

debt leveraged capital = bipartisan delusion followed by government bailout

The Big Short – Michael Lewis
    A few years ago I recommended this book. It is now a must see movie but overshadowed by Star Wars. He followed the book with another “Boomerang”. Lewis uses real characters to make his points. They make the movie entertaining but do not let them distract from the reality of the situation.

If you haven’t seen the movie, go today. We learned very little because it is not convenient.

3. Dave Bearse says:

I learned I was sometimes using capitol when I should have been using capital.

Pole workers seek new jobs has two meanings too.

The Treasury should redesign the $20 instead of the $10. (And when are we going to eliminate minting the penny for general circulation? The nickel and paper dollar bill should go too. Pricing and transactions could still be to the penny, particularly since most occur electronically or by check, but cash payments would generally round to the nearest dime.)

It’s a tough call between Vienna and Cairo, but my vote goes to the former. Taliaferro is a favorite for a more state-based pronunciation.

4. northside101 says:

Hmmm—I guess we have already passed into 2016, right? After all, we must be past the “12 days of Christmas” since I don’t hear any more Christmas music on the radio….so it must be January 7……

5. TheEiger says:

I find it quite amusing that the people who want Trey Gowdy to be speaker because they thought Paul Ryan was a RINO are now losing their mind because Gowdy endorsed Rubio.

• xdog says:

They’re ragging on Chaffetz too, just because they think he might possibly someday consider backing Rubio. Proof that no one can ever be pure enough for those guys. It’s a wonder they don’t establish re-education camps. At some point the last loon left will run out of moons to bay at, declare what’s left to be abomination, close his eyes and disappear. Maybe next year if we’re lucky.

6. SallyForth says:

I’m sort of partial to the town of Kay-ro myself. House-ton County gets a vote too.

But what’s that cabbage heresy? You have to eat black-eyed peas and turnip greens on New Year’s Day or suffer a poor year. And those Christmas decorations better be down before midnight on 12/31, or it’s bad luck for the next 12 months. These are some of the traditions our Georgia grandparents taught us to carry on.

• joe says:

As a transplant from Texas, I always found the House-ton pronunciation funny, until I discovered that the county was not named for Sam Houston, but for John Houstoun. Now I understand the pronunciation, and wonder about spelling.

• Teri says:

Joe – I never knew that and it explains so much! That particular (mis)pronunciation drove me nutso when I moved here from Houston (which I was always told I mispronounced as “Yoo-ston” – I can’t hear the difference) in the mid-1990s.

I am also partial to Byooona Vista.

• Teri says:

Midnight on 12/31? That’s basically blasphemy. Everyone knows that your decorations stay up until January 6, the Epiphany, which is when the Wise Men finally made it to the little baby Jesus. And then, Mardi Gras starts and you hide your little baby Jesus in some delicious king cake.

Cabbage = Irish.