As a Republican, an American, and as a Christian, Donald Trump Does Not Speak for Me

This week, Donald Trump called for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States.”  I will not presume how this kind of rhetoric sounds to others but it does not fit with how I have always viewed my political party, my vision for my country, or my religious beliefs.

The National Republican Party 2012 platform states:

The Republican Party includes Americans from every faith and tradition, and our policies and positions respect the right of every American to follow his or her beliefs and underscore our reverence for the religious freedom envisioned by the Founding Fathers of our nation and of our party.

The U.S. Constitution states:

Article IV, Paragraph 3

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

First Amendment

The Bible states:

Leviticus 19:33-34

When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong.  You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Mark 12:28-31

And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all? Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

(emphasis to each added)

We live in dangerous times which require strong action by the United States to respond to the foreign and domestic threats to our country, but we should not abandon our political party’s principles, our nation’s laws, and our sacred beliefs in the process. Therefore, as a Republican, as an American, and as a Christian, Donald Trump does not speak for me.

1. Three Jack says:

Ed, Not sure if you saw Trump’s speech last night which MSNBC carried live (meaning not many saw it), but that crowd cheered loudly when he read from his no muslims presser. So there are a good number of GOPers / Paulheads out there who not only agree with him, but are coming out in droves to support him.

As long as the media keeps leading the scare machine, the crowd supporting Trump will only grow. It’s a sad but enlightening view of Americana 2015.

2. UrbanSuburbanist says:

Not wanting to turn this into a theological debate, but there is no honest way to interpret Leviticus 19:33-34 and Mark 12:28-31 in a manner that states that a country has no right to set immigration controls as they see fit. And if that is your position, then it means that you must be opposition to the fact that America had much more stringent immigration policies until a generation or so ago. Or over Mexico having much more strict immigration policies than we do. So does practically every Asian country, as does the Nordic social democracies whose economic policies Bernie Sanders would have us emulate.

I will remain agnostic – pun not intentional – as to Trump’s views on this issue. But please realize that applying those Bible texts in the manner that you do would mean an open immigration policy. And by this, I do not mean pseudo-open such as Germany and the other EU states do (because it is only open amongst EU member states, and high among nations that EU members formerly held as colonies). Instead, you would be advocating total, open border, unrestricted, unrestrained, anyone can come and go as they please sans frontieres policies. Since we know that an open border policy is not your position (it is not even the position of the far left … at least not yet anyway) then your purpose in citing those Biblical texts is to demonstrate the moderation of the mainstream “establishment” GOP is to swing voters. And Leviticus 19:33-34 and Mark 12:28-31 were not inspired and written for such vulgar (in the original meaning of the term) secular purposes.

• Edward Lindsey says:

U: I did not quote scripture as an attempt to advocate for any particular immigration policy (I have never supported open borders) and the quoted passages should be viewed in context with the other documents I have quoted. Taken together, they call for a political party respectful of men and women of different faiths, a nation that will protect the freedom of all religions, and a personal belief in caring for my fellow man rather than condemning him or her outright because of xenophobic prejudices.

If this makes me an “Establishment Republican” in your eyes, which I assume you did not mean as a compliment, so be it.

• UrbanSuburbanist says:

“Taken together, they call for a political party respectful of men and women of different faiths, a nation that will protect the freedom of all religions, and a personal belief in caring for my fellow man rather than condemning him or her outright because of xenophobic prejudices.”

Exactly. Which, as I stated, is not the intent or purpose of Leviticus 19:33-34 and Mark 12:28-31.

And as touching the First Amendment, it is only applicable to citizens, correct? Noncitizens do not (or should not) have the same privileges afforded to them that are enjoyed by the citizenry (voting and jury service among them). And by the way, if you wanted to be consistent in politicizing the holy texts, this principle is endorsed by both testaments. (It would have been impossible to maintain church-states otherwise.)

And I have no reason to cast aspersions on establishment Republicans. I was merely making a contrast between those who seem to actually want to win elections and govern as a result (those such as yourself) and people who (to quote Alfred Pennyworth in “The Dark Knight”) prefer seeing the world burn to actually living in it.

• Edward Lindsey says:

U: We will agree to disagree on the purpose and intent of the religious passages I have quoted. I think I stand on firm ground for my position but you do not agree. I understand. Personally, I rarely quote scripture in political settings because it often sets off this kind of discussion but I felt it appropriate on this issue.

As to the constitution, its protections under the 1st Amendment apply to citizens and non-citizens.

As to your quote from the Dark Knight, hat tip. I plan on using it myself in the future. Well done.

3. saltycracker says:

Sometimes the forest is lost in seeing trees. Fundamentalism and limitless tolerances are our national threats, both religious and political. This country was founded on individual freedoms bounded by regulation to keep others from infringing on those rights while existing as a community.

To open our borders with failed immigration controls, to stand down our law enforcement in riots and not controlling fraud and mismanagement in public programs is tolerance run amok. Governing by patronage, tribute and power for availability to government largess is corrosive. Fundamentalism and unregulated tolerance are both societal cancers.

“In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government that control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself”
    The Federalist essay

4. Wabbit Season says:

The disconnect between the establishment and the rank and file voters is mind-blowingly wide. Immigration, across the board, is a big issue in this election, perhaps the biggest one, and what the establishment doesn’t seem to get is that you aren’t going to shame anyone into voting for Jeb Bush. We don’t even take care of our own veterans and we’re opening the doors wide open to just about anyone…whether they got here legally or not…and a lot of folks are just sick of it. The world is a big place, and it’s a sad fact there aren’t enough bandaids. We have plenty of poor and sick people we don’t take care of already.

5. joe says:

I do not like Trump, and he does not speak for me. But what he said is:

“What I’m doing is I’m calling very simply for a shutdown of Muslims entering the United States — and here’s a key — until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on.”

If you leave out the last part of the sentence, then your argument does not hold water either.

6. Tea Party says:

Phase I

Last summer a few folks mused that the Donald was the Dems secret weapon. Anyone supporting his outlandish, bombastic rhetoric would be tantamount to supporting a GOP loss. Stay with me.

Now we see a predicted and perhaps, untenable gaff – the immigration remark. I don’t think most people are putting as much thought into the ‘figginess’ of the qualifier in his remark. BUT this may be a gaffe too far [Charlie and Co. certainly seem to believe so] …

Phase II

The Donald takes an unknown coterie of devoted voters away from the GOP nominee as an Indy candidate, depriving the GOP of a win.

We are seeing a phenomena occur, what remains to be seen is if the phenomena sputters and stalls. Regardless I don’t think the Donald is going down without a trace. What happens to his devotees is a valid question?

If Donald’s supporters sit at home in a Romney-esque pout-down we may get our first FHOTUS.

• benevolus says:

Hopefully what happens to his devotees is the that they realize they’ve been suckered, they don’t give their bank account number to Nigerian princes, and they retreat to their basements and bomb shelters and lay low until they pass away, realizing that the world is different than what their delusions had led them to believe.