Morning Reads for December 4, 2015

– Mayor Reed under fire.
Swimmin’ pools and movie stars. (Sigh.)
– And the circus begins…
Nobody Everybody saw this coming.
– RIP Alex Cooley

– Not The Onion. SecDef Ash Carter opening all combat jobs to women.
The gaffe heard ‘round the world.
– Is the cigarette-smoking man back?
– Just… creepy. (watch out for autoplay!)

Random Everywhere:
Batman vs. Superman.
– Not the Onion, again. CNN Christmas report on… Satanists.
– Now we all don’t have to resort to looking like Joan Rivers. Just take a pill, sweetie.

1. blakeage80 says:

This has been a tough week to be a Dawg. It will be a long time before I and many others get over the childishness displayed by ADGM this week. #FireMcGarity

2. Noway says:

I disagree with SecDef Carter on women in all combat roles. For reasons I stated several years ago on PP and was promptly pile-driven by Debbie, I believe, and a couple other of our female “brethren”. That debate was fun! Just say I’m old fashioned on this issue. Back in the day I worked with many female agents. Most were in better shape, could shoot the eyes off of our qualifying targets and were smarter that anything. But to a man (for lack of a better term) the male agents were protective of them. Maybe men are naturally disposed to be that way, I don’t know. I just know I am.

• Feeling the Bern says:

In the military we were taught to think of each other as a team, a single unit. This was critical in the 70’s when the military became more inclusive of different races. Kind of that ‘rally together’ thing ,to deal with post Vietnam military fatigue the nation was experiencing.

I see this as no different. If a soldier can pass muster and do the job effectively, what is or isn’t dangling between their legs is moot.

Stop focusing on the naughty bits and step back to see what contribution the soldier can offer their team.

• Noway says:

Fair reply. Women are surely able to contribute in all areas. Your logic is sound. Still, the emotional part of me goes back to my default position.

• Will Durant says:

The skillset needed to kill via drone is entirely unisex and that appears to be the direction we are heading. Hell, let’s just eliminate both sexes and turn it over to Skynet.

• Trey A. says:

It’s really a formality. Women are already doing combat support jobs (that turn into combat jobs all too often in places like Afghanistan).

As a fairly recent veteran (got out in 07), I’d say the military has been ready for this for some time. Now, we’re not ready for unisex berthing on ships or anything like that–nor is the real life version of G.I. Jane coming along anytime soon (I’d be quite surprised to hear of a woman passing BUDS and becoming a SEAL). But this was overdue.

• Feeling the Bern says:

I think both of them should be denied the right to drive a clown car.

Hillary is so Republican that Republicans will cross over to vote for her, because SOCIALISM BAD BAD!! BERNIE SCARY MAN!

• Will Durant says:

I just wish it was the type of BS I could use on my garden. Then I could convince the kids that it’s all organic, well ignoring the saccharine anyway.

• Feeling the Bern says:

Some intellectual honesty, please? It is clear to anyone that Clinton and Obama are both Center-Right Corporatists, based on their voting records and actions.

The GOP candidates are variously to the right of them. But hey all serve the same master.

There is only one candidate representing Progress(ives) and that is….well you know who.

Put that in your garden.

3. Feeling the Bern says:

This click here for a trailer that has been ‘fixed’ to remove a lot off the spoilers.

4. Will Durant says:

This notice appeared on the Georgia Secretary of State’s website yesterday:

The Georgia Secretary of State’s office has contracted with CSID to provide free credit monitoring and identity theft restoration services to all Georgia Voters.

Services will be available within 10-14 business days.

All Georgia voters will be enrolled automatically in free identity theft restoration services for one year. In addition, Georgia voters will have the opportunity to enroll in free credit monitoring services for one year.

When these services become available, direct links to CSID’s website will be listed here. Until then, if you have any questions, please contact the Georgia Secretary of State’s office at 404-654-6045.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and everyone of you for helping to pay for this clown’s blunders.