Morning Reads for the Start of Christmas

I’ve already dusted of the Christmas playlists and sent out my cards.

“This Time (I’m Gonna Try it My Way)” by DJ Shadow. (Man was that album disappointing).

1. On the epidemic killing middle-aged white folks in Georgia.
  2. On life, gangs and deaths in South Dekalb.
  3. ^A compelling, all-too depressing and alarming story. What can we say about ourselves that we’re powerless to stop such senseless violence?
  4. On Fulton County’s efforts to eradicate AIDS.
  5. On the death of Southern Comfort, one of Atlanta’s best bars and institutions.
  6. Goodness this is a soul-killing MRs, Ed.
  7. On Donald Trump’s con game on display for 6,000 in Macon.
  8. On why Democrats should learn from Pres. Carter’s public religiosity.

1. Noway says:

Genetic ethicists are all up in arms about wanting to ban gene modifications in humans. If It were possible to eliminate diseases in future generations I’d do it in a second. Yall’s opinions?

2. David says:

When quotes matter. From the AJC article on dying middle age:

“And there’s a difference if you blame yourself or others for your lot in life. If you internalize, you drink and become depressed; if it’s other people’s fault, you vote for Trump.”

I can’t tell if that was a quote from somebody the author was interviewing or his own opinions injected in a news story.

• Feeling the Bern says:

The next time someone wants to argue about many southern cops not being racist, or that the WOD has been effective, throw out that link.

There is not much there to argue against.

3. saltycracker says:

Health care continues to consolidate

As we approve these mega consolidations do we get agreements for satellite clinics in rural areas or wait for the locals to ask for state funding?

The insurance companies complaining about exchange rates costing them hundreds of millions were assured by Obama that Federal assistance was set aside in the event that happened and assured the public no problem. Turns out Obama did not read his bill. Nor did we until……good news…..

The insurers asked for $2.8 billionaires, the DOH had $300 mil and Rubio saved us the $2.5 billion so far. Will rates or taxes or debt fill this one ?

Fox News
    “Marco Rubio’s Republican presidential bid is getting a surprisingly big boost from a little-known legislative tweak he helped tuck into last year’s spending bill — one that ObamaCare critics are crediting with shielding taxpayers from jittery health insurance companies that may be eyeing shaky bottom lines.

The provision, similar to one he’s pushing this year, prohibits billion-dollar bailouts for private insurers under the Affordable Care Act. “

• saltycracker says:

No edit, no unread post guide for follow up……this site continues the be tilted to front pagers, readers and quick snarks, not discussions

• Will Durant says:

Keep on posting salty. I enjoy reading ’em all. Even when you’re wrong 😉

I know nothing about WordPress but would not only like to have the unread posts highlighted again but the ultimate PP Christmas gift would include the return of the “New” button within the threads.

• analogkid says:

Could not agree more about the “New” labels on comments. I was very sad the day those went away.

• benevolus says:

“The insurance companies complaining about exchange rates costing them hundreds of millions ”

I haven’t been able to find any evidence that premium rates are capped. As far as I can tell it’s just that- since no one really knew exactly who would sign up at first- that if their costs went up higher than expected then the government would help them out during this beginning transitional phase (seems reasonable). But I don’t think there is anything other than competitive pressure to keep them from raising rates.

That being the case, Rubio’s little trick is really only another attempt to injure the program, not protect anyone.

• Will Durant says:

Many memories, ahem, a few fuzzy ones too, were presented by this guy. I was at Hampton and Byron and even worked with him obliquely on a couple of projects. Let’s just say control of remote ticketing locations was a real challenge back in the day. Met him a couple of times and he was the quintessential promoter. I’m glad he didn’t delve into politics.

• gcp says:

His longevity in the Atlanta scene was amazing. Started out with the pop festivals you mentioned, concerts at the old Municipal Auditorium, Electric Ballroom, Music Midtown and bunch of other stuff.

• xdog says:

I suppose ‘Burgler’ is a sad attempt at humor.

Last month the Japanese government awarded Sandy Berger the Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun, an award I would like very much to win someday.

• Noway says:

No more so than your flipping 999 to 666 with regard to Herman. You are soooooooooooooooo clever, x…
        Sandy Burger was a thief who was a Clinton stooge. And he thankfully got caught. Smoooooth….
        You might want to change role models.

• xdog says:

Either you have two handles or you just can’t resist leaping to thestr8talk’s defense.

As for the 999 vs 666 business, that wasn’t original with me and I never claimed it was funny, just evidence of the fraudulent Cain campaign. There was plenty more to choose from. Of course, maybe Cain knew his audience all along and figured it wouldn’t matter what numbers he used.

None of my role models are pols or wannabe pols or advisers to pols but I do know enough about civility to keep my mouth shut when someone has died.

• Noway says:

I still fail to see anything “fraudulent” about Cain’s plan. It was his way of packaging his idea. You might not have liked or agreed with his data, but it wasn’t fraudulent. Post more, please.

• benevolus says:

When I was a kid me and my sister had rooms across a hall from each other. My father would sometimes bring home these giant reams of computer paper all in a big perforated folded stack. We would take long sections of that paper and tack them to the outside of our doors and write nasty names for each other on them so the other would have to see it. Big long lists of insults and slurs.

You remind me of that.

• Feeling the Bern says:

Who said anything about role models? I swear “you people” are the worse at putting words in other’s mouths.

Cut it out. It is immature and does not lead to substantive dialogue on the subject.

4. Noway says:

Trump just did Alex Jones. It’s worthwhile to listen to it. Jones is probably correctly described as fringe, but his audience is big. What is it that will eventually make him really drop in popularity? Who, right this minute, can stop him?