Morning Reads for Tuesday, October 27th, 2015

Happy Birthday to the first rapid transit subway (the IRT in NYC 1904), Silvia Plath (1932), Philadelphia, and Teddy Roosevelt (1858). It’s also the date of the first Federalist Paper, the speech that launched Ronald Reagan’s political career, and when, after too many margaritas, the United States annexed West Florida. Nevertheless, on to the reads!

1. Noway says:

Carson is leading by a bunch. How does someone effectively attack him without sounding like a prick? Inexpereince in things political? Because at this moment, there is nothing character wise to nail him on. Pass the popcorn.

• Three Jack says:

It will be easy to knock off Carson. He just got to the front of the pack, now the scrutiny begins. Let’s see where he is a month from now.

• Scott65 says:

Lets see…eliminate Medicare/Medicaid. Comparing everything to Nazi Germany. Would never increase the debt limit EVER and allow the US to default. This is Michele Bachmann crazy territory. Look under the hood and there is no “there” there. He wont be the nominee. He looks much more Herman Cain-ish to me. He has no grasp of what being President entails

• Dave Bearse says:

Carson’s only qualifications are being self-made and accomplished (as if that’s pre-requisite for knowing what’s best for the nation), and an outsider. He’s a superlative brain surgeon, but I’m not sure I’d want him walking the dog on his own.

Carson words of wisdom….all stuff I think he said AFTER he became a candidate…

“I think the likelihood of Hitler being able to accomplish his goals would have been greatly diminished if the people had been armed.””

“Guy comes in, put the gun in my ribs, and I just said, ‘I believe that you want the guy behind the counter. I redirected him.”

“You know Obamacare is really I think the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery. And it is in a way, it is slavery in a way, because it is making all of us subservient to the government, and it was never about health care. It was about control.”

“I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that.”[…]

In response to the question of whether being a gay is choice. “Absolutely. Because a lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight — and when they come out, they’re gay. So, did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question.”

• Lea Thrace says:

If I recall correctly, Charlie called him on some bs he was spouting that was not based in facts or reality and he didnt take too kindly to it.

• Ellynn says:

Want me to spout off something I know you will disagree with to make you feel better? Tell us what we can do to entertain you? We want you to feel the love…

• Noway says:

LOL! No, it’s not me that needs the love!! I genuinely miss Harry’s comments!! Thanks anyway for offering to get under my skin for a response, though! I’m sure you or B will say something “librul” soon enough to raise my hackles!

• Ellynn says:

What’s funny is if you talk to members of my family I can be a right wing hack and a “f”ing Liberal” all based on the same comment. Family gatherings over Christmas can be fun. Always love watching my survivalistic Libertarian “I can own a ‘nuke’ under the Second amendment” brother and my great uncle the Jesuit priest, who knew Dorothy Day personally and runs a food pantry, go at it.

2. benevolus says:

Interesting story: A woman who had received death threats had planned to give a lecture in Utah, but state law prohibits them from banning weapons on the campus. So she canceled.

“A 2004 law prohibits Utah’s universities from enacting policy that “in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms.””

Sad that threats of violence can stifle free speech like that, but reasonable precautions should be allowed. This law leaves no room for exceptions or exceptional circumstances. Stupid.

I hesitate to bring it up, but this story has its roots in Gamergate, which is an interesting story in it’s own right, but apparently dangerous to talk about online.

• ATLguy says:

Yawn. I will believe that progressives care about free speech on campus when they begin to criticize the very common practice of shouting down conservative speakers, disrupting their speeches, charging exhorbitant security fees for them that the campus organizations trying to bring them to campus often cannot afford, and canceling them when students claim that the speakers and their “offensive” views “create a hostile climate” and “make them feel threatened.”

As far as Gamergate goes, I will not defend members of that oft-odious community, but I will point out that the left very often does the same (online and in person) and their squealing smacks of being unable to take what they have been dishing out for many decades.

• benevolus says:

I didn’t perceive this as being a left-right issue, but since it deals with gun laws I can see why it might get some saliva going.

The interesting question to me is; Is Utah right, there should be NO restrictions under any circumstances? What about airports and airplanes? Why shouldn’t a state allow localities or organizations to make their own rules in this case?

3. saltycracker says:

The 1810 West Florida annexation was the Short term Republic of Florida, now a piece of Louisiana. A most interesting history as France, Spain, England and the colonies fought and settled the area.

The Republic of Florida flag was the single (lone) star Bonnie Blue late resembling the Texas Flag and the first flag of the Confederacy.

4. Dave Bearse says:

“The first federalist paper, the speech that launched Ronald Reagan’s political career…”

Picked my curiosity as to content of Federalist No.1. It argued the existing national government was broken and centralization and it having more power was the fix.