Morning Reads – Thursday, October 22, 2015

This date in 1844 was day recognized as “The Great Disappointment” among those who practiced Millerism. The world was expected to come to an end according to the followers of William Miller.

Peaches

Jimmy Carter

Sweet Tea

Liberty Drum

1. Michael Silver says:

Is this the Ga Tech link you referred too?

Ga Tech’s fight song was “adapted” from the fight song of Colorado School of Mines, which began singing it in 1879. Mines’ song is called the Mining Engineer. Just a little background.

Onto changing traditions for the sake of political correctness!

• benevolus says:

So how does that work? Anything that is offensive is OK as long as it wasn’t offensive at some point in the past? Is not using the N word being “politically correct” and subject to scorn for changing tradition?

OK, so if one or two overly sensitive people have an issue with something maybe it’s not really all that offensive, but if thousands or even millions of people find something offensive, what could possibly be wrong with trying to rectify that?

I think somebody (probably Rush Limbaugh or one of his clones) tried to politicize politeness so that they could be as rude and offensive as they wanted to be and claim they were defending… I don’t know what, rudeness I guess.

It’s like littering to me. Rudeness and littering may not be big problems relatively speaking, but they both do show a disregard for a sense of community, a willful,callous ignorance for others we live among.

• blakeage80 says:

I know about 280,000 people who think its offensive. We are known as UGA alumni. Down with that hateful, sexist, of the devil ‘fight’ song!

• benevolus says:

Well being offensive isn’t a problem for y’all- unless you are playing Missouri!

P.S.- If anyone is going to the Tech homecoming game this weekend, they are supposed to do some kind of recognition of the GT Rugby team. I won’t be there but I was on the first rugby club team in 1975. So hoist one for me!

2. saltycracker says:

Puerto Rico bail out, start small to set a precedent for California, Illinois, New York….. It’s all about spreading leverage and risk around. And most importantly , keeping the price of our Bacardi Cuba Libre down.

3. saltycracker says:

Biloxi jailings: “The court has used community service in cases where defendants are unable to pay their fines.”
    Did the city circumvent the laws by not allowing community service to cover the private company “fees” ? Did the lady not show up for the community service ? Too many questions left in an article that incenses.

• Ellynn says:

Don’t know what they do in Biloxi, but I can tell you what they did in a small city in this state back in 2009. I got a speeding ticket. Didn’t see the speed change, my fault. Called in and asked the amount and was going to pay it off. They gave me the fine amount but I was told I had to show up for court, no excesses. So I drove the 2 hours back to the city. I was told by the judge I had to pay the fine and the now additional court cost of $45, or I could wave the court cost for 10 hours of community service. I do a lot of community service, so I waved the court cost and they set a date of 42 days for me to submit the proof of the hours, and the address to send the paper work. I did all of this about 30 days into the process. Three days after the deadline for the fees, I got a letter from a “probation” company confirming my paper work was completed but I owed them 1 month of ‘handling’ for processing the work, which was $22 and I needed to pay it in the next 7 days or I was violating probation. I called my friendly lawyer who told me yes it was all legal and yes they could send me to jail. There was no written explanation of monthly fees or probation in any of the paperwork I signed to set up the community service. However; ignorance of the law is not excusable blah blah blah, and lawyer’s advice is to always pay the fines and fees. The thing is there were people ahead of me in court that day that did large amounts of community service because they could not pay the full fines or asked to pay in monthly installments. How many of them knew they were adding an additional $22 a month to their fines? I was not upset about the fee so much as I was hopping mad that I was placed on probation without my knowledge.

• saltycracker says:

Sounds cheesy to me (pun intended). Over here in Cherokee County we have Holly Springs working the cash available folks for traffic infractions in their jurisdiction scrambled “turf”.
        I575 exits are a cash cow particularly WalMart and Home Depot.

Holly Springs will win the (sleazy) innovation award by getting a developer to pay for annexations rights to a sliver of an HOA property to annex land for a favorable zoning and some prime road to patrol. It was funny when residents complained about the zoning their own board took money to make happen.
        Proving residents and the County just can’t keep up wth the city and its developers even those producing NINE $$$$$$$$$ bankruptcies.