Morning Reads for Tuesday, August 25th, 2015

Paris was liberated by the Allies on this day in 1944 (above). Springsteen’s “Born to Run” was released in 1975, in 1950 President Harry Truman took over the railroads to prevent a strike, and in 2009 Ted Kennedy died. On the the reads…

• Krugman: Debt Is Good (NYTbut see Collender: Paul Krugman Is Wrong (Forbes)
  • 16 Startup Metrics (Andreessen Horowitz)
  • How Autistic People Helped Shape the Modern World (Wired)
  • ‘Peak TV in America’: Is there really too much good scripted television? (Hit Fix)
  • The 10 most cringeworthy Fox News interviews of the last decade (Salon)
  • Science Isn’t Broken: It’s just a hell of a lot harder than we give it credit for. (FiveThirtyEight)
  • How is the Apple Watch doing? (Benedict Evans)
  • Meet the Most Powerful Political Players in Silicon Valley (Re/code)
  • Check out these photos taken from the same spots immediately after Katrina and now (nola)
  • Atlanta’s parking addiction (Clatl)

• benevolus says:

Stefan would make them rhyme
      If he had the time.

Alas, the boy is busy
      Drinking something fizzy
      After spending his nights
      Drinking too many Miller Lights,
      And… Dancing to Thin Lizzy?

Disclosure: i have no idea what Stefan did last night!

1. Dave Bearse says:

The GOP’s Trump problem is that Donald Trump is attitude as much as policy/position. There’s no dearth of politicians on either side of the aisle serving and posing for photos with celebrities and the well-connected.

Billionaire Blank pockets a quarter billion as a result of establishment politician’s largesse with public money. Ahhh, the public benefits of tax-subsidized car leases of Mercedes employee’s.

Makes the $20M Blank collected from DeKalb taxpayers look like chicken feed.

2. Noway says:

It seems that Fox New’s resident shrew, Meghan Kelly, is back from her spell in the Re-Education Camp. Trump is already busting her a$$! Hysterical!

• Noway says:

LOL! B, did you just cut and paste that from the last time I made a post like that? You libs need a sense of humor! Did you take Erick’s place in putting on the Superman cape in order to “defend the girl?” He showed himself to be a complete horses ass when he stepped in to defend “poor widdle Meghan” and disinvite that big, bad Trump! Sheesh!

• TheEiger says:

“The bimbo back in town . I hope not for long .”

You honestly think the person that said that deserves to be president and would be a good president? If your answer is yes then that tells more about you than you will ever know. Also, you have lost your mind if you think Trump will ever be president. The Republican nominee? Sadly that is a possibility. President….not so much.

• TheEiger says:

“So true. Jeb Bush is crazy, who cares that he speaks Mexican, this is America, English !!” – Trump

Should I go on or do I need to continue to post more of this ignorant ass’s comments to convince you that he would be the world’s worst president? Unlike you, I want a Republican to win next year. Not a liberal with a big mouth that likes to trash talk. He is playing to the stupid vote. And some people are falling for it hook line and sinker.

• TheEiger says:

“If Hilary Clinton can’t satisfy her husband, what makes her think she can satisfy America?” Admittedly that one is funny, but not something a President should say.

“The final key to the way I promote is bravado. I play to people’s fantasies. People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That’s why a little hyperbole never hurts.” (“Trump: The Art of the Deal,” 1987) This one applies to you Noway. He’s playing to your fantasies and admits it.

“Do you mind if I sit back a little bit because your breath is very bad. It really is.”

“#JebBush has to like the Mexican Illegals because of his wife.”

“Oftentimes when I was sleeping with one of the top women in the world, I would say to myself, thinking about me as a boy from Queens, “Can you believe what I am getting?”

“I’ve always had a great relationship with the blacks.” Sure you do Donald.

“You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass.”

“Listen you m—–f——, we’re going to tax you 25 percent!” That’s the way to negotiate.

“I will build a great wall — and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me —and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.” Make Mexico build it. If you believe that load of crap you are dumb as a brick.

“The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yamakas every day.”

“If I were running ‘The View,’ I’d fire Rosie [O’Donnell]. I mean, I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers, I’d say, ‘Rosie, you’re fired.'”

[email protected] is unattractive both inside and out. I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man- he made a good decision.

I could certainly go on, but I’m tired and now even more depressed that this guy is being taken serious by republicans. The only way Hillary becomes president is if Trump is our nominee. Do you not see that?

• Noway says:

Eiger, they’re falling for it, as you say, because the Repub politicians have lied their asses off to the voters to get elected. “Just, just give us the House…and we’ll do X” We gave them the House. “But, But, just give us the Senate…and we’ll do Y…” We gave them the Senate. They did and continue to do nothing, even symbolically. They are lying sacks of s**t saying anything to get elected and enrich themselves. Don’t be ticked off when a non-pol says what a great number of folks want to hear and gets their support.

• TheEiger says:

I know. And I get it. Honestly I do. More than anyone will ever know. I get it.

But Trump is not our “savior.” He is a guy that is playing to your anger and my anger. We need a leader that will bring our party together. That is not Trump. If he was running for dictator he may be able to do the things he’s talking about. He is going to have to go to DC and work with 535 politicians. Whether you like it or not that is what he is going to have to do. Calling someone a moron or telling Mexico to pay for a wall won’t do it. If you want to make sure a republican is never elected as president ever again then vote for Trump. If you want a leader that will help lead a leaderless party right now then please look at someone else.

• Noway says:

I agree. My earlier posts have never said that I though Trump would be prez. To the contrary, I have always thought he’d fall short. He has no one in the House or Senate to carry his water on legislation. But, it’s non debatable that he’s tapped into a literal fury amongst millions of voters. One of the other more likely candidates needs to take up that mantle of anger and intelligently run with it.

• TheEiger says:

It just frustrates me to see republicans being fooled by this snake oil salesman.

“One of the other more likely candidates needs to take up that mantle of anger and intelligently run with it.” Agree, but it needs to be done with the tone of a leader and not a school house bully.

• xdog says:

“some people are falling for it hook line and sinker.”

Those people are called Republicans.

Here’s a question. If the so-called electable candidates–Bush, Rubio, Walker–continue to spin their wheels and the choice comes down to Trump or Cruz, which way do you jump?

• TheEiger says:

I would look into moving to Belize and just giving up. But if I had to choose between Cruz and Trump. I would have to vote for Cruz because at the end of the day he is a Republican. Trump is not. It won’t come down to that though. Bush or Walker will be the nominee. I hope it isn’t Bush.

• benevolus says:

Insults are not the same as a sense of humor.
          I’m not defending anything except the idea of a decent conversation.

3. gcp says:

It took Jebby three days to articulate a position on the war in Iraq, Walker still can’t give a consistent position on illegal immigration and Fiorina mainly wants to tell us that she is not Hilly so just maybe that’s why Trumpet continues to win the popularity contest.

Meanwhile on the other side you got 72 year old Joe B who played a buffoon for the past seven years and has no constituency considering a run for president.

• SallyForth says:

Oy! What a fine mess next year’s presidential election is shaping up to be! Please Dems, don’t put a socialist on the ballot. And please Repubs, anybody but another Bush!

• benevolus says:

Question for you: Politicians talk the way they do because that is what allows them the chance to win elections. If it didn’t they wouldn’t do it, and they spend lots of money on consultants who test out their words and positions (ref: Frank Luntz) . Therefore, we can conclude that the type of political speech you are referring to is at least tolerated by enough people to be successful. It follows that the type of speech you wish to hear from them is not what they think most people respond to. So, to take it one more step, if one responds to Trump-speech, what can we conclude?

As an aside, I feel certain Frank Luntz is right now analyzing what Trump says and testing it and massaging it so that he can sell it to some other candidate so they can tap into that gestalt without pissing off the other 95% of the human population.

• gcp says:

As I said above, right now its a popularity contest, no more. Will it still be a popularity contest when voters vote in the various primaries? I doubt it.

As for Luntz, I am not sure of his function or why folks pay attention to him.

• benevolus says:

He’s just one of many of course. We libs have George Lakoff and locally Drew Westen. Interesting psychological stuff.

4. saltycracker says:

My thoughts on this thread drift to the words of Janisse Ray, Baxley gal, wonderful author of “Ecology Of a Childhood Cracker”

“Of what use to humanity is a man that cannot see beyond his own hurt.”