Josh McKoon Proposes State Version of First Amendment Defense Act

State Senator Josh McKoon was one of the speakers at Saturday’s 8th Congressional District GOP Fish Fry in Perry. While most of his speech was devoted to his effort to pass a state version of the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act, Sen. McKoon also announced his intention of introducing a state version of a proposed federal law known as the First Amendment Defense Act.

He repeated his intention this morning in this Facebook post:

Thought for the Day: Every Republican in Georgia’s Congressional Delegation has co-sponsored the First Amendment Defense Act. If Georgia’s Supermajority Republican General Assembly fails to pass a state FADA in January, it will be clear proof that Elected State GOPers are to the left of our own U.S. Congressmen and Senators.

I wrote about the First Amendment Defense Act last month. The federal version of the legislation would prevent the federal government from discriminating against individuals or organizations because of their belief that marriage is between a man and a woman. Presumably, passage of the act would protect an organization from losing its tax exempt status or federal funds because of it’s religious or moral beliefs.

The federal version would not apply to state law. If a state version of the act were to pass, it presumably would protect a baker or florist who prefers not to participate in a same-sex marriage from a discrimination claim.

Assuming Sen. McKoon follows through with his intention to introduce the First Amendment Defense Act, Speaker Ralston pushes for passage of the Pastor Protection Act, and efforts to pass the religious liberty bill continue, that will mean there are three separate bills before the legislature in an election year dealing with the aftermath of June’s Supreme Court Obergefell decision.

1. Enjoy the Silence says:

“My religion doesn’t allow me to serve black people.” OR “My religion doesn’t allow me to serve Muslims.” OR “My religion doesn’t allow me to serve Christians.”

Your response Sen. McKoon?

• John Konop says:

How about divorced people as well? I guess McKoon is ok with refusal of service based on being divorced.

………”I hate divorce,” says the LORD God (Malachi 2:15-16)…….

…….What God intricately joins together physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, separated (or ripped apart) by man can leave a scarring only He can heal and maybe that’s why He is so stringent on the topic……

…….But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery (Matthew 5:32)……

• TheEiger says:

I just find it hilarious that you defend Donald Trump for saying a woman was on her period and that was why she asked difficult questions. Then come to a post about Josh McKoon and continue your months long bashing of him.

The hypocrisy runs deep with you………………………….

• John Konop says:

You would have a point if you could show me when Trump said that? I agree with many like Morning Joe, a rather bizarre overreach to take what Trump said and think that….

“Morning Joe” Scarborough: Media Overreacting On Trump’s Demise

Also the person making the claim whom you support with no real facts has his own issues:

1) Erick Erickson cheering Fox for promoting the Rosie situation with Trump. Mind you this was what the question was about from Kelly.

……..How awesome is Fox for letting Trump come on and bash Rosie!! Awesome…….

2) If Erick was really concerned about what his daughter and wife would hear from Trump, does he allow them to listen to his show and or read his tweets?

Hillary Clinton “Is Going To Be Old” In 2016, “I Don’t Know How Far Back They Can Pull Her Face.”

That Michelle Obama public service announcement on Haiti is not very flattering. Move the camera back please

Good thing I didn’t suggest the feminists . . . you know . . . shave. They’d be at my house trying a post-birth abortion on me.

You Can See More:

The most bizarre part is Erickson put a spin on his comment, and Trump denies the spin, how does Erick have any credibility on his spin? I heard the comment, and it never was in my mind that is what Trump was talking about via the Kelly comment.

BTW I am not a Trump supporter, just not a lynch mob type person like you. I do think Trump has been way over the top on some comments. It has hurt some bigger points he was trying to make.

• TheEiger says:

You are the one that called Josh McKoon gay not me. I was just reminding the world.

I also wanted to make the point that it makes me laugh that you defend Trump then attack McKoon. That is all. It’s not slander if you actually said it John. That may be hard to understand.

• John Konop says:

I never called Josh McKoon gay, I only pointed out studies show many homophobic people are gay. I made the point defending gay people from gay bashing legislation. Finally on this topic, if someone is gay, I told you I have no issue with it. Not getting why you think it was insult, are you homophobic?

Your last point about Trump is meaningless, because you refuse to read the facts, only spew insults.

• TheEiger says:

You know what you said and when you said it. Everyone that reads this blog knows what you said. Even Charlie said that you went over the line. Until next time, good day.

• Lea Thrace says:

You’re both pretty. Now give it rest.

Yalls squabble is really starting to stink up the place. Ugh.

• Better yet, how about an orthodox Muslim business owner who refuses to serve women who aren’t sufficiently covered up?

Is Sen. McKoon prepared to let Sharia law trump Georgia’s anti-discrimination law?

• Enjoy the Silence says:

The response you usually will get is “well that business wouldn’t stay in business for long”

Effectively, the argument you will get in response is one endorsing a theocracy.

• saltycracker says:

Ok, put it on the business license, post it, then we will know where not to eat and what businesses not to have an A/R with, as they will not make it in most places. Lots of unintended consequences forcing someone to do something they don’t want to in business.

2. Nefarious H. says:

Is serving a cake to a gay couple a sin? Is the baker somehow a proxy to the sin, or is he just baking a cake?
    If writing a man’s name on a cake is not a sin, I don’t see how writing two men’s names on a cake is a sin.

If it’s not a sin, then the baker that turns a gay couple down is just being a jerk.

3. Enjoy the Silence says:

If I was a devout Christian would I be able to use my religion to not serve someone that may be a glutton, Senator?