About Those GOP Fundraising Numbers

Almost predictably, after the news got out that the Georgia GOP is financially in basically the same shape it was back in February, I saw social media status updates decrying the financial stewardship of GAGOP chair John Padgett. The complaints were very similar to those made prior to Padgett’s re-election at the state convention. The gist of one was that the party had ignored its base, and the disappointing cash flow was the result.

I’m reminded of a conversation I had on the Sunday after the convention. It was with a big muckety muck who works at a major Atlanta based company. You would know the company if I mentioned its name.

“Who won the chairman’s election?” he asked. “Padgett,” I said. “That’s good,” he continued. “My company usually makes a big contribution to the Georgia GOP, but we were waiting this year until we knew the results of the election.”

He told me that had Alex Johnson won the chairmanship, the company’s money would have gone to a SuperPAC instead of the party. I asked him if he knew if other companies were doing the same thing. He allowed that his was not the only one to hold back. That made me wonder. “So maybe the complaints by Alex’s supporters that the party wasn’t raising enough money were the result of the fact that Johnson was in the race.”

“It was.”

I have no idea whether his company, or any of the others he referenced, made their contributions to the party yet or not. I’m not going to speculate as to why the party’s cash position hasn’t improved much in the last six months. I may not have quoted my conversation with the company exec exactly, but it’s pretty clear that those who think the party would be in a better financial position now if a different chairman had been elected back in May don’t understand where much of the party’s money comes from.

1. xdog says:

Interesting choice by the biz exec to divert funding but not very surprising given Johnson’s inexperience and lack of ties to established gopers.

But you guys should really settle up with Padgett. I know he can afford it but having the chair pay for the convention hall on his own doesn’t look right. Or solvent.

2. Stephen in Southside says:

We as Republicans need to hold ppl in leadership accountable. This is embarrassing to the GOP and everyone who is involved. You are making some “out there” excuses for the candidate most of you at PP supported.

3. rrrrr says:

So…
    The relatively poor state of affairs is due to the competition the party chairman had going into the convention?

Really?
    Is the broad money support the GA GOP enjoys really THAT shallow? (Chills up spine)

In the first cut after reading this article, the cynic in me wonders what IOUs would become worthless upon a change? If I didn’t know the author and have first-hand knowledge of his commitment, I’d be tempted to just write this one off as a kind of quick hit piece of sorts addressing social media chatter.

The reported act that the chairman fronted money for the convention hall in Athens – the location he supported and an expense he knew of well in advance can only make one wonder what unplanned spending occurred. EEOC or excessive consulting? Were Nov fees still being paid after he first of the year? If you want hire the best guns, sometimes you have keep them on retainer – but you don’t exhaust your seed money.

Considering that Saturday vote where some delegations refused to vote for either candidate, one might have hoped there would some serious, private, back- channel effort to consolidate going into 2016.

For all the talk of big tent and minority out-reach – to wrestle internally or publicly with a block worth north of 30 percent seems counterproductive.

But welcome to the supermajority GOP- till they’re not.

4. Newtster says:

Does anyone at Peach Pundit think for themselves ? Even the young Will Kremer seems to have been brainwashed with the typical “establishment” blather to attempt to cover for the Republican leadership which has long since lost the support of a significant block of grass roots conservatives. What is particularly distressing about the ignorance of leadership and the writers at Peach Pundit is you have not checked in with the reality that you cannot win ANY race, nationally or statewide without that block of support. Keep blaming your failures on the conservative base and you will soon be relegated to minority status. For you to blame Alex Johnson, who does not have a single finger print on ANY decision made by the state party over the past two years and who has not been charged with sexually harassing or racially discriminating against anyone is a complete lie and is reprehensible in the extreme.

• Jon Richards says:

I just went back and reread my post, and failed to find where I was blaming Alex Johnson for anything. I was simply relaying what I was told by someone whose company has made considerable donations to the GOP over the years.

Nor was this post a defense of John Padgett. I may be a party stalwart (Thanks, Malloy) but I too have had concerns about some of the things the GAGOP does. I chose not to discuss them in this post, though.

As far as the party’s ability to win any statewide races without the support of the “significant block of grass roots conservatives,” I seem to remember the GOP winning contested governor, senate and 12th district congressional races less than a year ago.

• Will Kremer says:

The most money Alex Johnson has ever raised is $10,000. Candidates aligning with his “Liberty” ticket at convention suggested using an Amazon affiliate program to raise money. It’s not “brainwashed,” it’s looking at the hard numbers and realizing Chairman Padgett is better for the GA GOP than Alex Johnson.

5. Stephen in Southside says:

Jon, your arrogance is getting the best of you on this. Deal and Perdue would’ve won by the same margin if they only spent 1 mill each. Instead they spent MILLIONS and won by 7% and 8%. That’s a good margin but look at who they were up against…Carter and Nunn who were horrible candidates. We all need to find a way to to come together bc the GA GOP is trending downward. It’s scary to say that the Democrats could control this state by 2020. Of course, a lot of GOPers will blame the minority growth but we shouldn’t embrace excuses, we should embrace solutions.

• Salmo says:

I’ll give you Nunn as a weak candidate given her lack of experience. I was actually surprised she did as well as she did, but you could tell that none of the stars on the relatively shallow D bench wanted to take the chance, whereas she had very little to lose.

Carter, though, was arguably one of their two brightest stars (along with Kasim Reed) going into the race. I can’t think of any Democrats who would have performed better than he did in 2014. Stacey Abrams is potentially a stronger potential seat-filler, but demographically-speaking, Carter had a much better electoral shot last year.

The only other potential star I see out there is David Adelman. He could make a heck of a Senator for the Dems (says this Republican), but he’ll probably have to wait until at least 2020 because he’s not beating Isakson.

• benevolus says:

What exactly is scary about Dems controlling this state? Dems controlled this state for most of our lives and our parents and grandparents lives, and the state thrived and prospered. Dems run things in many places very successfully. It’s really nothing to be afraid of.

• JPTSR says:

What’s scary is the thought (and unfortunate reality) of anyone “controlling” the state. I prefer to be represented by my government officials rather than controlled.