Morning Reads – Thursday, February 26, 2015

On this date in 1907, the U.S. Congress raised their own pay to $7500. I’m all for reverting back to that.

Peaches

Jimmy Carter

Sweet Tea

Liberty Drum

1. Michael Silver says:

Someone needs to remind the Republican Senators that their oath is to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

The oath does NOT include a duty or obligation to “govern” or even to keep the government operating.

MCCONNELL CAVES, BUT REID WANTS FULL SURRENDER FROM BOEHNER AS WELL

2. saltycracker says:

The guarantor of student loans, the taxpayer, will ultimately take the hit as it is now in vogue to say “you should not have loaned us the money”‘. The students add in defiance by saying they would pay it back if they weren’t promised better jobs.

Solution, the government needs to get out of guaranteeing loans, they have printed enough green to go around.

• blakeage80 says:

This paragraph almost tells us everything we need to know about this woman featured. Her entitlement mentality has clouded her sense of right and wrong.
      “I’m not going to pay anything,” Suggs said. “I had perfect attendance, graduated when I was supposed to, and this is what I get in return for trying to better myself. I have nothing, and it’s not my fault.”
      The rest of what we need to know is in regards to her intelligence level: She borrowed over 70k (probably around 7% interest) with the hopes of becoming a probation officer. They must make a lot more wherever she is from than they do around here.

• saltycracker says:

The Feds are not big on qualifying loans, it might hurt someone. Farm loans, home loans, student loans. A track record of trllions. Now they will spend hundreds of millions searching for a flaw in the originators process.
        You have to give a cyclist 3 feet, can you do that without crossing the center line ?

• blakeage80 says:

That’s true. I was shocked at how much my wife and I qualified for with a home loan. I never could have made that monthly payment and that was with a rather large (not anywhere near 70 grand) student loan as well.

Since a bicycle only has two pedals, why do they need 3 feet?

• saltycracker says:

🙂

And thus I did a 180 turn on “personal responsibility” with bank lenders that took full advantage of B Frank and friends total irresponsibility.

3. saltycracker says:

The relationship between Armadillos, red squirrels and the leprosy bacteria has been known for decades. More concerning, the internet is always looking for a viral email as a carrier, who knows what lurks embeded in it.

4. Scott65 says:

Seems Rep. Barry Loudermilk didnt see a need to vaccinate his kids….”they’re just fine”. Thats because the rest of us were. He also thinks the CDC is falsifying the data.
    This is such yahoo dangerous disgusting pandering. Let me remind people that measles is 1000 times mire contagious than Ebola which I’m sure Barry was up in arms about.
    Putting your kids in harms way…aren’t you glad he is in congress

5. Noway says:

Just watched a DVR’d program Fox did on 2016 Dem contenders. Do any of our Dem posters like anybody other than Hillary and wish that person would run? They did an in-depth profile on Jim Webb. I actually like that guy.

• benevolus says:

I’m OK with Hillary, but I’m OK without Hillary too.
      I like Elizabeth Warren although I know nothing about how she would be on foreign policy yet.
      I remember liking Brian Schweitzer a few years ago, haven’t kept up with him lately though.
      But my best choice would be… Howard DEEEEEEEEAAAANNNN!

• Dr. Monica Henson says:

I like Hillary, a lot. Biden would be disastrous. Elizabeth Warren is very popular among progressive & liberal Dems, but I believe she’s unelectable in a presidential race–too liberal to appeal to the general population of voters. Jim Webb has potential down the road, I think. It’s interesting to contemplate who might be Hillary’s running mate; I think she might choose a relatively young male of a different race than white.

• George Chidi says:

I’m looking for a good race, one with a real vetting of ideas. If the nomination of Clinton becomes a coronation, then we’re going to cede the electorate’s imagination to Republicans. That’s a slow-motion disaster in the making, no matter how prepared Clinton is.

Yeah. I want Warren to run. And I want her to be competitive. I want to see Clinton’s centrism challenged. If we really do have the electoral advantages we think we do in a presidential year, then let’s get something for it. 2016 is not 1992. The concentration of wealth today looks more like 1916, or worse. It’s a fundamental danger to the republic.

Jim Webb has a real point to make, too: the white working class cannot be an afterthought. I suspect he’s running for vice president.

I don’t think I’m prepared to take a Biden candidacy seriously right now, nor that of Sanders or any of the other also-rans.

• Harry says:

If you don’t like the concentration of wealth, don’t vote for Hillary. She is all about maintaining the Establishment’s status quo. Vote for Gov. Walker.

• Michael Silver says:

I could replace the names you listed above with Jeb Bush, Marco Rubi0, and Chris Christy and my thoughts aligned with yours … just from the Conservative side.

YUCK!

How did we end up with such poopy choices?

• Dr. Monica Henson says:

George, I don’t think Warren will run this time, and I just don’t see her as electable outside the Northeast. My concern for the Democratic Party is that if they swing too far back to the left, they’ll cede the White House for sure.

I’m not so sure that a Hillary coronation is a bad thing. After the midterm debacle of stay-at-home nonvoters, the DNC needs to focus on getting out the vote and building enthusiasm among younger voters. An exciting young minority VP candidate can be just the thing we need for that.

A bruising primary season will deplete war chests and potentially divide the Dems–something we can’t afford to do after the midterms, IMO.

• Dr. Monica Henson says:

While I agree that the white working class can’t be an afterthought, putting Elizabeth Warren before them isn’t going to get them to vote Democrat.

• MattMD says:

That’s true which is odd considering the fact she is much more aligned with their economic interests. But then again, most people are fairly ignorant.

6. MattMD says:

Well, Jesse, it seems to me that adjusted for inflation $7500 is consistent with what they get paid these days. Of course that doesn’t factor in their benefits which pushes their compensation well north of $200K.