Obi’s Sister Says: Go Tech; Enjoy the Reads!

Obi’s Sister is travelling home and wanted me to relay the above message to you.

“Come on Home” by Lambert, Hendricks & Ross (The hottest new group in jazz, doncha know).

1. FBI looking into Moore’s Ford Bridge mass lynching.
  2. A good preview of the upcoming season for Georgia’s most important football team.
  3. More objective proof that our reliance on driving is bad for consumers.
  4. Tim Cook says you should read the graphic novel about John Lewis’ life.
  5. Kelvin Cochran ups the ante in his persecution complex.
  6. Stacey Abrams responds to CL NGP story.
  7. Atlanta’s Lusca, Savannah’s The Grey are both James Beard semifinalists in the Best New Restaurant category. Lots of other Atlanta-area restaurants nominated.

1. Teri says:

Some people love movie award season; I love food award season. All the Georgia nominations are well-deserved. Aaaaand, it’s 7:28 AM and I am thinking mainly about dinner and a cocktail. #thanksed

• Ellynn says:

The Grey is very good. And I can state Back In the Day bakery deserves its nod too. I’m addicted to the lavender shortbread cookies. And the bourbon bread pudding. And the whole lofts of rye and multi grain bread. And the bacon chedder scones. But mostly the lavender shortbread.

2. blakeage80 says:

Reaping as one has sown doesn’t really have a statue of limitations. I just hope the FBI doesn’t put a lot of strain on a bunch of very old people based on 70 year old hearsay and rumor.

• Ed says:

” I just hope the FBI doesn’t put a lot of strain on a bunch of very old people based on 70 year old hearsay and rumor.”

I would generally agree but there was a murder committed. And not just any murder, a heinous one.

• blakeage80 says:

The FBI reopened the case in 2007 and have nothing more than they started with except a very unreliable video testimony. I (and the rest of the world) will be shocked if they secure a conviction at this point.

• Ed says:

I’m not saying I’m confident in anything, but I just don’t want any leads for a murder case to not be investigated…. certainly not because people are old.

• blakeage80 says:

I agree with one amendment, the lead should be credible. This guy in the video seems to have very little of that.

• gcp says:

We have many unsolved murders. Why reopen this one when its been investigated numerous times including GBI investigation during Barnes administration?

• benevolus says:

Because if you have guys whose job it is to look into cold cases, and this one has what may be new evidence, than that’s what you do! Why would someone even question that?

• blakeage80 says:

I struggle with his approach on occasion, especially when their NIXLE alerts contain superfluous statements trying to get a laugh. The OCSO should be careful they aren’t just seen as a bunch of comedians. I think it could create problems for their deputies trying to seriously enforce the law.

• xdog says:

It’s a facebook page not a brief for law enforcement. Besides, I doubt one percent will read it. Lighten up a bit. No one I know takes them for comedians, mainly because most crimes in the county end up with timely arrests.

3. saltycracker says:

Paradoxes of everyday life: after a few experiences yesterday it was observed that we distribute public monies while permitting the recipient to reject solutions.

Ag and industry manipulate via lawmakers, the corrupt and sorry manipulate the system. Our legislators might want to look into a better delivery system.

What prompted this was a delivery at 7:30PM last night by 3 men. Two spoke in an eastern European language and only the driver spoke English. They said they were putting in up to 80 hour weeks and short on help. My guess was the helper pay was $10-$15 hr for a lot of hauling. We seem to have a lot of non English speaking folks taking jobs from able bodied English speaking folks.

If the wages are under the welfare benefits perhaps we need to qualify the welfare applicant and require those capable get subsidies thru an employer. With millions in GA getting some support a better delivery system might save hundreds of millions and allow monies to flow to the truly needy.

• saltycracker says:

McDonald’s raising pay will cause them to restructure work assignments, cut staff, hire better employees and raise prices. A lot of low wage workers will be unemployed and won’t want that delivery job over collecting welfare.

Admin will just have to sort out the legit reasons……

• saltycracker says:

Thanks – got a link ? – I did watch a few of the analysts and commentators and list of Wal-Mart challenges which reinforced my post of their proactive approach to slow growth in economy and internal issues. Assume the CEO must put a happy face on community responsibility.

The stock market reacted negatively but I think in the long run they will be winners. Lots of folks will compete for a Wal-Mart job with this.

• Ellynn says:

I’m not a on system that will let me pull up a vidio link, but I will post you one later. The think I item I took a way from the interview was how he was doing this to improve emplyee retension and to compete with other retailers who do pay more. Also look at the numbers. A 1.75 raise at 30 hours a week per employee ( part time and full time) for 52 weeks is going to cost Walmart around $26 million. There profit last year was $132 billion last year. This will effect the bottom line by .019%.

• saltycracker says:

Thanks. Well said. Smart company. They need to improve their efficiency with better performing and better paid folks and as sales grow more will be employed and the revenue per employee is going to increase.
            Do we need to point out that this is not an everyone wins game ?

• Dr. Monica Henson says:

We have a quite a few “able bodied English speaking folks” who will not take low-paying jobs. They won’t take any job at all, regardless of the pay. They simply do not want to work and will not work as long as they don’t have to. I have seen this in my own family and acquaintances, by the way, so I’m not speculating on mythical examples. There are “a ton of non English speaking folks” who will work two and three “menial” jobs in order to put food on their children’s tables and pay the bills. They are not “taking jobs away” from able bodied English speaking folks. They are taking the jobs that those able bodied English speaking folks WILL. NOT. DO.

• Noway says:

Very true! If we’re speaking of Latins who don’t speak English very well, I lived in Colombia for four years. Those folks are the hardest working people I’ve ever seen. I’d ship our gold-brickers down there and to Mexico for a straight one to one trade for their workers! All.Day.Long.

• Noway says:

Quick example: I’ve seen Colombians “cut the grass” of a several acre field with dull machetes! Now, THAT is work!

• saltycracker says:

Exactly why we do not want to fix the immigration policy, we must change the opportunity they snuck in for to acceptance of exploitation from the right and embracing socialism and government care from the left.

And when we fix immigration we will still have a massive exploitation of our system by “illegals”.

• MattMD says:

What were you doing in Columbia for four years? I assume it was a mission trip or you were involved in the drug trade. The latter would make sense to me.

Four years would be a very, very long mission.

4. Will Durant says:

Kelvin Cochran’s “persecution” will be a supplement to his early retirement at 55 doing the church circuit on behalf of the Alliance Defending Freedom (née Alliance Defense Fund). A symbiotic relationship needed to keep those “love offerings” flowing. You see they are needed to make sure the will of the “moral majority” overrides the civil rights and liberties assigned by the Constitution’s Bill of Rights so that certain individuals may suffer their persecutions.

• Noway says:

“Don’t throw me in the briar patch,” says Brer Rabitt Cochran. He’ll get paid on the church circuit and from his winning his court case. Win-win for him! That rascally 1st Amendment!

• Will Durant says:

Nah, he’ll just have to rely on the rubes. If the 1st was actually involved I would be concerned and it would be the ACLU behind him rather than the ADF organization. You do realize in addition to Georgia’s employment at will statutes he was in an appointed position and served only at the Mayor’s pleasure?

• gcp says:

This case is intertwined with Cochran’s 1st amendment rights and the power of government. There is more here than just “insubordination” or an employee “at will”. Reed is gonna need outside high-price counsel to prevail on this one.

5. saltycracker says:

Just talked to a friend doing volunteer tax returns. ACA is the big challenge and a lot of low income folks estimating the impact may be in for some rude awakenings. Plus the preparers are not just able to let the computer do the figuring.

The GOP might want to ease up on front row attention about the ACA. Some times it is best to let controversial matters just evolve. The mistake would be not having a plan in place to fix it.