Number of the Day: One in 288,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

On Thursday, the prosecution in the APS cheating trial presented testimony from their expert, University of Michigan professor Brian Jacob. He said the odds that one of the fourth-grade classes at Dobbs Elementary School could have made the gains that they did on their 2009 standardized test scores was 1 in 288 septillion.

A second fourth-grade class at DES saw dramatic gains and Jacobs testified the odds of that class’ scores increasing were 1 in 4 quintillion.

Just for reference: the odds of winning the Powerball Lottery is 1 in 175,000,000.

The prosecution will call their final witness on Tuesday and the trial will conclude by as late as April.

RICO attorney David Hungeling spoke with WABE on Thursday and said there is a chance the state could expands its use of RICO if the prosecution is successful and have a big impact on other white-collar crime cases. As a non-lawyer I found the interview really good.

1. Dr. Monica Henson says:

Beverly Hall needs to stand trial, if they have to haul her in on a gurney, and serve time in the federal pen.

• John Konop says:

I was attacked rather harshly by the Cox/Hall crowd….when I spoke up about how their numbers made no sense….as you know….we have not even got into the manipulation of cut number scores….ie lower the number of right answered needed on a test and claim you did a better job….The harsh treatment I got was nothing compared to what the students, parents, teachers who spoke up got….

With all this aside…if Beverly Hall is dying soon from what I read….I think it is waste of tax payers dollars to pay for her short stay….we all have made mistakes in our life….but this is a big one…..dying with this on your shoulders would have to be very rough….I may be to forgiving…

2. Will Durant says:

The length of the trial striving for longer potential sentences under RICO is not warranted. They did wrong and potential sentences of 1-5 years sounds reasonable, but 5 to 20 for cheating on tests?

• Ed says:

Eh… it was a lot more than just cheating on tests… there was harassment of teachers, bullying administrators to get teachers to fall in line, destruction of documents to prevent investigations proceeding, violation of state documents… and all created and enforced by a cadre of top brass operating a well oiled system. I don’t know about you but that to me sounds like a corrupt organization designed to break the law (allegedly).

• Ed says:

Also fwiw an entire generation of students at select aps schools were truly failed and allowed to matriculate for a few individuals private gain. I mean there were entire districts that were corrupted. This was a major major failure and saying it was just some test cheating fails to recognize the severity of what happened.

• Will Durant says:

I didn’t mean to belittle the crimes so much as wondering why they are piling on with the RICO statutes, even after listening to the interview. I don’t know how many of the accused are up for multiple counts but there is potential for some heavy sentences and possibly a juror or two dying of old age before this is done (I know, too much, but dang this thing is dragging on). RICO has been heavily abused by the feds and applied far afield of its original intent to take down the organized crime. I’m not too excited to see the state run amok with it as well.

3. saltycracker says:

What’s crazy is if you polled the APS employees would they take about 27 zeros off those odds?

4. Dave Bearse says:

For context, those odds are significantly less than the odds of buying one ticket for each of the next three Powerball or Mega Million drawings, and winning all three.