Inside the Fox Five / Insider Advantage Poll

Fox Five and Insider Advantage released some polling of registered Georgia voters yesterday, notably on the proposed transportation funding bill and on the current favorites for the 2016 GOP primary election.

The poll’s crosstabs, as usual, are perhaps more interesting than the toplines. For instance, the question asking whether the individual supported the proposed $1 billion transportation funding act showed 21.7$ in favor, 48.1% opposed and 30.3% undecided. The age group most in favor of the proposal was millennials between 18 and 29 years old, while the strongest opposition came from those 65 and older. While most whites opposed the measure, African-Americans were evenly split between supporting, opposing and being undecided about the proposal. Support from Republicans was the weakest, with only 13.1% in favor, while Democrats had the most support at 35.6%. Only 15.5% of independents like the idea.

46.5% of respondents indicated they would vote in the Republican presidential primary next spring, while 39.5% planned to pull a Democratic ballot, and 13.9% were undecided. Going along with the conventional wisdom, older and white voters planned to vote Republican, although more women than men planned to vote for the GOP, the opposite of what one might expect. Who would they vote for?

Jeb Bush: 22%
Scott Walker: 17%
Ben Carson: 16%
Mike Huckabee: 16%
Rick Perry: 7%
Rand Paul: 4%
Marco Rubio: 4%
Chris Christie: 3%
Donald Trump: 2%
Other/Undecided: 9%

While those results somewhat reflect the currrent zeitgeist of national polling, looking at the crosstabs, you have to wonder. 18-29 year olds split 50-50 between Bush and Huckabee? Every Hispanic planning to vote for Rand Paul? Those may be the results, and the 200 person subset of the original 431 people polled would have a much wider margin of error than the 4.7% in the broader poll.

And on the possibility of moving the cutoff date for entering kndergarten from September 1 to August 1, which Teri wrote about here, only 32.5% like the idea, with 39.5 opposing it, and 28% undecided about the issue.

The crosstabs are below. What else to you see in them?

Download (PDF, 29KB)

1. TuckerDawg says:

Why are the 65+ so opposed to the transportation bill? Seriously, my grandmother has a 1993 Saturn with less than 30,000 miles on it. She drives to church and Publix.

• FranInAtlanta says:

That’s why she doesn’t want to spend a large sum on transportation. I am retired and have almost forgotten 5 miles taking 45 minutes between Thanksgiving and Christmas. But the potholes still get me (although that’s a county and city thing).

• Will Durant says:

And under this bill she wouldn’t be spending a large sum. Only a paltry amount since it is only when you purchase gasoline. If you drive less, you pay less.

• TuckerDawg says:

First of all, the sums of money are not changing under this bill. It is not a tax increase, but a shift from a variable tax to fixed tax. Prepaid state and local taxes are based on average fuel prices, which fluctuate, thereby causing revenue to fluctuate. Excise taxes are fixed. Also, the bill makes the revenue more restrictive in how it can be used; i.e., transportation purposes whereas the current tax regime allows for discretionary expenditure for much of the tax revenue. But it is not a tax increase.

That said, I thought my point was obvious: the cost to propel a Japanese economy car ten miles per week is essentially the same one way or another. She isn’t bearing the cost of tax, so why should she so overwhelmingly and unnecessarily dilute the vote? Principle?

• Will Durant says:

Perhaps due to grandma getting a robocall to her land line with buzzwords built in to the question?

What is your opinion of proposed legislation that would raise $1 billion for transportation in Georgia by replacing the state sales tax on gasoline and motor fuel with an excise tax of 29.2 cents per gallon and by establishing fees on electric vehicles and providing $100 million in state issued bonds that would provide for $100 million for mass transit in 2016?

• TuckerDawg says:

Just to clarify, since I can’t edit, Georgia already has an excise tax of 7.5 cents/gallon. This bill would increase the excise tax and eliminate/phase out the variable taxes.

• Dave Bearse says:

Poof! FM! The bill would increase tax revenues by $800M – $1B by without increasing taxes. People claiming the bill is not a tax increase only undermine other arguments in favor of the bill.

• Dave Bearse says:

It will cost Granny an additional $3 more in taxes per year in gas taxes. The GaGOP is reaping what it’s sown.

2. blakeage80 says:

I think the big disparity between the 18-20 & 30-44 year olds is odd on the transportation approval question. Do 30-44 people want more free stuff? Commute less? Still think public transport is just a place to exchange germs and not a viable commuting option?

You know, I haven’t thought about what the increasing use of mass transit would mean to the health care industry. Is Purell really behind the whole mass transit thing? 🙂

Also, Huckabee and Carson beating…anybody? Seriously? That top line is weird in and of itself.

3. Will Durant says:

Unless his majesty, his minions, or other prominent elected officials get behind the transportation bill and counter the nattering nabobs, it ain’t happening. What good are lobbyists who can only sell it to the politicians? Who coined the “Eliminate the Birthday Tax” spin for the automobile dealers?

4. debbie0040 says:

House Republicans should pay very close attention to the poll regarding their transportation tax increase. The poll numbers will just get worse for the transportation bill..Vote on this bad bill won’t be forgotten

• Charlie says:

More threats. Empty and toothless ones.

While you’re down in Florida selling solar, please pick up a new bag of tricks.

Meanwhile, there are a lot of constructive Tea Party activists actually working at the capitol, learning, and trying to be helpful. I’m quite proud of them. Others, not so much.

• jmacs12000 says:

Charlie, REALLY?
        Don’t know who you are, but as a pundit? You don’t know JACK!

I’m not a TEA PARTY ACTIVIST but I can tell you, I’ve lived many places and without dumping on wasteful Education block employee spending, I can see lots of places to cut Georgia spending. Are you a lobbyist for the STATE education block?

• John Konop says:

…… I can see lots of places to cut Georgia spending……….

Show me the list? Please show me how that translate into a plan to pay for needed infrastructure? I am old school detail guy….

• jmacs12000 says:

Lets start at the top John – Education – funded by Property taxes? What’s the STATE or Federal for that matter got to do with local government?

• jmacs12000 says:

Dear John,
                Don’t make me laugh, Just read the gobbly gook above from Jon. You’re either the biggest JA or a Demo or both – “Just pass the bill and we’ll read what’s in it later”. Isn’t that what the Dems said about Obamacare? This is not the forum to quote line items. Suffice to say if the concept is too complicated for you, details are not going to change your mind. Jon’s article perhaps may point out the real truth. Taxes on top of taxes diffused over many items paid equal very high taxes. A flat rate to cover all these taxes scares many people. Maybe it will scare them enough to realize they’re paying a bunch of money in wages and retirement benefits to people, who in some cases, aren’t really needed. Let’s be like the Feds and keep it simple – 10-15% across the cuts in most departments both State and County. Rescind the taxing power of local School boards. Illegal immigrants pay more than citizens to work here. How’s that for starters?

• John Konop says:

Lol…Have you ever done a budget for a real business? Your comments sound like amature hour….call me whatever you want, but unlike you I have real background in understanding numbers….obviously you have nothing but talking points….people who read this blog will see it is bs from you….the more you guys post comments, the more it demonstrates your lack of understanding of what it takes to make a real budget…obviously it is hard work, and takes more than BS talking points….

• Charlie says:

“What’s the state…got to do with local government?”

I’m not sure what you learned in pundit school, but I’d suggest a thorough reading of the state constitution. There’s a very long and detailed answer to your question, and all of it is contained there.

Happy reading.

• jmacs12000 says:

Last time I checked folks had to go thru the State to create local government. The State giveth and the State can take away – cut State Education to local funding. True, easier said but somebody has to start thinking big – time for reform.

• debbie0040 says:

To begin with, a handful of tea party activists is not a lot. Of those, most don’t support raising taxes for transportation nor the current plan. 85% of tea party activists oppose the House Plan in its current form. The Senate is working on a plan that holds more promise. Julianne Thompson supports the House Bill and that is her right. She left Atlanta Tea Party last summer and formed a new conservative group.

David Ralston was forced to spend 900,000 defending his House seat , so I wouldn’t call that toothless. His money was tied up in his race so it made it harder for him to influence other races.

I am sure you wish I would just focus on other states.

• Charlie says:

Julianne is working hard and effectively on many issues, but isn’t the only one, by far. If you were around instead of flying off to all points to sell solar you would know that.

By the way, Georgia Solar Freedom is doing a good job moving that issue here. They actually understand the value of building relationships and not just showing up for cameras to pull criticisms of bills and/or issues you haven’t studied out of their hip pocket on cue.

It’s amazing what people can accomplish when they decide to be constructive.

• debbie0040 says:

I am around Charlie. Don’t think I don’t know what is going on. I have talked to legislators about what would be unacceptable. Just because you aren’t aware doesn’t mean I am not doing it.

You have made it impossible for us to ever work together again.

• debbie0040 says:

I have studied the issue and bill so you can stop being so elitist. We have a group that is analyzing the bill and implications. We are using facts and figures and analyzing what the Georgia Constitution says Very detailed group.

You have made it impossible for us to ever work together again.

• Charlie says:

Now you’re just repeating yourself. Which is standard M.O.

You’re also calling names, also standard.

Anything you don’t like or don’t understand is “elitist”.

The facts that I answered your question with on your Facebook page came straight from an appropriations Chairman. You decided to delete the comment, then repost calling them “chamber aligned talking points”.

You blocked me and deleted others’ comments similar to mine, because you said we were putting “propaganda” on your facebook page.

Yet, you’re still here.

We’re not afraid of facts, and I overcame my fear of those who would call names in kindergarten. Sticks and stones and all.

Here’s a fun fact: If you’re still analyzing the bill (congrats for finally making the effort!), why did you have to get a press release out criticizing it minutes after it was released? Wouldn’t a prudent person wait until they had analyzed it?

But then, you might have missed seeing your name in a headline. Can’t have that now, can we?

• debbie0040 says:

Because the part we completed analyzing was something that needed to be pointed out. We are still finding portions that are troubling.

I knew what the bill contained. I had the confidential memos sent to House members

House Leadership lied about it not raising taxes

How many people have you blocked from posting on a Peach Pundit ?

• Charlie says:

“I had the confidential memo sent to House members…”

That “confidential” memo was also sent to the press. I guess that’s the easiest way to keep something secret.

Everything isn’t a conspiracy Debbie, but I understand that makes it easier to sell your leadership services if you remain consistent with that schtick.

• debbie0040 says:

The memo I had was sent by the House Leadership and contained the fact gas prices would increase by 7.7 cents per gallon. Don’t recall that in memos sent to the press or if it was, they didn’t report it

I am not getting paid one dime to oppose this plan. Are you getting paid to support it ?

I have a right to determine content on my personal FaceBook page. People that sent me friend requests just so they can post their support of the plan on my page are going to get blocked.

5. jmacs12000 says:

Another worthless poll which shows nothing. Thanks Peach Pundit for generating comments on BS.

I’m 65 and drove a lot more than anybody around up till 2 months ago and our transportation system needs big time improvement. Just get the darn trucks on a dedicated two lane thru Atlanta. See NJ Turnpike/I95. Create an alternate around Atlanta for the rest of us. MAKE COBB AND PEACHTREE CITY JOIN MARTA and invest the money NEEDED into Cobb and Forsyth counties. Peach Pay is currently a joke.

• blakeage80 says:

If your road rage is as bad as your comment rage, I feel safer knowing you’re not on the road so much.

• Charlie says:

….and then we have this gem:

“MAKE COBB AND PEACHTREE CITY JOIN MARTA and invest the money NEEDED into Cobb and Forsyth counties.”

From the same person who said this 31 minutes later:

“What’s the STATE or Federal for that matter got to do with local government?”

You want to understand what elected officials have to put up with? Morons like this who demand the state push solutions on local governments, then at the same time ask what business the state has to interfere with local governments.

And then when you try to point out the obvious cognitive dissonance/lack of intellectual coherence, they’ll yell “BUT I AM THE BASE!!!!!!!”

Seriously JMACS, hang around a bit. You’re helping the cause a lot more than you probably realize. Just not the way you’re intending.