The Senate Convenes With New Faces and a Birthday Celebration

Monday was the first day of the 2015 legislative session. It was also the birthday of Lt. Governor Casey Cagle. One of the first motions on the floor after the Senators were sworn in was to sing Happy Birthday to the Senate President. After some hemming and hawing about rules related to singing on the floor, the Lt. Gov relented, and we had this:

The first day of a new session in a joyous time, before legislators get around to dealing with the state’s business. Family, friends and hangers on are let into the Senate and House chambers to celebrate and to congratulate those newly sworn in.

Below the fold, some pictures from the first day in the Georgia Senate.

Senator William Ligon and family  talks to Lt. Governor Casey Cagle prior to the start of the session.
Senator William Ligon and family talks to Lt. Governor Casey Cagle prior to the start of the session.
Former Congressman Jack Kingston was in attendance as the Senate gave the Pledge of Allegiance.
Newly elected Senator Michael Williams of Cumming takes the oath of office.
Newly elected Senator Michael Williams of Cumming takes the oath of office.
Lt. Governor Casey Cagle addresses the Senate.
Lt. Governor Casey Cagle addresses the Senate.
Senate Majority Leader Bill Cowsert nominates David Shafer as President Pro-Tempore.
Senator David Shafer shares some thoughts with the Senate.
Senator David Shafer shares some thoughts with the Senate.
Senator Elena Parent was sworn in, after she won the Decatur-based seat previously occupied by Jason Carter.
He's got a Democratic sounding name, but Senator John F. Kennedy, who was first elected in November, is a Republican.
He’s got a Democratic sounding name, but Senator John F. Kennedy, who was first elected in November, is a Republican.

• Noway says:

Who else would you put out there, too, John? I haven’t really thought about it from the Repub side. Cagle surely would be strong.

• TheEiger says:

Sam Olens and Brian Kemp will both run. I think a member of the congressional delegation will run as well. Look to Austin Scott or Tom Graves. Please save us if Paul Broun decides to run. Jack Kingston looks to already be looking to the the Governor’s race. There is a reason he isn’t a lobbyist already. He wants to keep himself clean for another run.

Cagle will probably be the front runner from day one, but the rumors that came out when he ran last time will come back. Doubt that will ultimately hurt him though.

• John Konop says:

Noway and Eiger,

1) ….Sam Olens and Brian Kemp……

My 10 cents opinion, cannot raise money like Casey, and do not have the same ability to communicate.

2) ………Austin Scott or Tom Graves, Jack Kingston……..

Do not have statewide network as effective as Casey….

3) …..Who else would you put out there…..

Obviously we have other names….in all due respect cannot think of a better candidate for either party let alone GOP? Education always polls high, and Casey has done a great job on the issue…..soccer moms like him….He also comes across well in person…..just my 10 cents…

• TheEiger says:

I wasn’t supporting anyone with my previous post. I was simply saying who I think will run.

And to say that Jack Kingston doesn’t have a statewide network on par with Cagle’s is laughable John. I was by no means a supporter of Jack’s in the primary, but he has a statewide network.

It’s four years a way. I’m not going to debate who will win. We may not have even heard of some of the people who may run. We understand you support Cagle. We will start the debate in a few years. Not now.

• John Konop says:

LOL…..I have not committed to any candidate…..I have only met Casey a few times, I would bet he has no idea who I am, and really does not care…I was merely speculating, and made it clear, it was just my 10 cents….I was also only using deductive reasoning skills….. I like Jack Kingston, and met him a few times as well….Obviously he must have some kinks in his statewide network, via the results in the run-off verse someone who never ran for anything before beating him. Meanwhile Casey by all measures ran a great campaign, and has won statewide races….I guess you are the expert…….since this is your business, not mine….I just put my pants on everyday, one leg at a time, trying to make a few bucks, so guys like you have a job….:)

• TheEiger says:

Casey didn’t beat Ralph Reed. Ralph Reed beat himself by being so closely associated with Jack Ambramoff. Just ask everyone that worked on Casey’s first campaign. They knew it was a long shot and needed something big to happen to even have a small chance of winning. That big thing was the Ambramoff. Since then, how many tough campaigns has he had? Zero.

Keep putting your pants on one leg at a time and opining. I’ll keep you straight and make sure you don’t put them on backwards.

• John Konop says:

…….how many tough campaigns has he had? Zero……..

Not getting your point? Casey won an upset election, and since than has built a strong statewide network. Sounds like you agree with me….not smart enough to understand this inside baseball talk….

……..Keep putting your pants on one leg at a time and opining. I’ll keep you straight and make sure you don’t put them on backwards…..

LOL

• Will Durant says:

Kemp has hit his Peter Principle ceiling. Only thing to ponder is if he is smart enough to realize it. If he shuts up and doesn’t rock the boat he has a great gig that he could stretch out to 30 years or so like Ben Fortson. Most Georgia voters are fine with incumbents they never see on the tv.

1. Noway says:

Agree with Kingston. I think as close as he came to the senate race, he’ll be the front runner over Casey.

• TheEiger says:

Probably so. He has to find a way to stay relevant over the next two to three years or he will quickly fade away. I think state party chair would be a great place for him to spend his time for the next two years.

• TheEiger says:

If he did a good job and registered 250,000 or more people in north georgia and started a “real” minority outreach program. Sure. And he would make a lot of friends. If he just got the position to have it in name only he will quietly fade into obscurity. It has the potential if he wants to work. The paycheck isn’t big enough for him so I doubt he would even think about it. UGA could offer him something that keeps his name in the paper as well.

2. Salmo says:

Not the first time they’ve broken the rules to allow singing in the Senate. The “Pants on the Ground” guy of American Idol fame also did it a few years ago.

• xdog says:

There’s singing and there’s singing. Some years ago Ray Charles sang ‘Georgia’ before the General Assembly.