Morning Reads – Thursday, December 11, 2014

On this date in 1816, Indiana was admitted to the Union as the 19th American state. Happy American state birthday, Indiana.

Peaches

Jimmy Carter

Sweat Tea

None for you today.

Liberty Drum

1. BriscoeDarlin says:

Senate retribution in the CIA report. Running a drill next to a terrorist’s face and sleep deprivation? I’ve heard of worse stuff at a fraternity initiation. What else can you expect from a democrat report?

2. blakeage80 says:

Guns: Poor Mustapha is gonna get it when he gets home. This is exactly why I plan to teach my son how to responsibly handle a firearm.

Retread Presidential Candidates: Come on! Santorum is only going to drag votes away from a legitimate primary contender. I can only hope that conservatives will coalesce around one candidate. Otherwise, its the establishment’s to lose. I really don’t want to have to vote for Bush or Christie or Romney just to keep whatever darkhorse candidate the Democrats put forth next time around out of the White House.

3. drjay says:

i’d have thought for sure that someone would have posted something about paul broun basically begging for someone to , you know, offer him a leadership position or put him on a board of directors somewhere…

• xdog says:

Broun’s 8 years of plenty are done. He scuffling for an endowed thimk tank slot or a consultancy or a start in a lecture tour. He’s 70. He’ll get by.

Sadly for us in the 10th, Hice is just as loony as Broun but 20 years younger. He could be a generational rep.

4. saltycracker says:

Muddy: why not extend the time limitations to civil lawsuits on convicted felons later hitting the lottery…..? Trial lawyers would be happy too.

5. saltycracker says:

Good Fortune article by Nina Easton “tired of the endless gridlock in Washington ? Blame the primaries”

The incredible silent majority – worst voter turnout in history -some states had less than 1% of eligible voters choose their party’s rep.

Result: more extreme candidates

Advances in technology enable legislators to gerrymander congressional districts with impeccable precision. Result swing districts declined from 168 in ’98 to 99 in ’12 and will be fewer this year. Result: primary winner is most likely in.

6. Will Durant says:

Takes a lot of gall for the worst President we have ever had to label a report about the actions of the CIA or NSA a “load of crap”.

• John Konop says:

In truth both sides have a blind loyalty which creates memory loss issues ….The financial crisis started with Clinton irrationally deregulating government backed credit default swaps and was put on steroids by Bush 2…..which as I predicted lead to the last melt down. As far as Iraq…..the war was a mistake made by both parties…as far as the treatment issues….nothing came out new in this report…key members of both parties knew what was going on….I have said I have mixed feelings about the issue….but instead of debating it….we are into pointing fingers….And both sides have selective memory….just my 10 cents.

• Will Durant says:

Cheney responded to parts of the report that asserted then-President George W. Bush was kept out of the loop on exactly what techniques were being used. “He knew the techniques; we did discuss the techniques,” Cheney said. “There was no effort on our part to keep him from that.”

He added, “I think that what needed to be done was done. I think we were perfectly justified in doing it, and I’d do it again in a minute.”

• Will Durant says:

Lookit here son, I say son… That’s a joke, son. A flag waver. You’re built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin’ ’em and you keep missin’ ’em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is. — Foghorn Leghorn

• TheEiger says:

You could have just said “I accidentally forgot to type the word vice in my original post.” That would be more believable than you intended it as a joke. Which you mostly clearly did not intend to be a joke. But whatever. Funny. Haha.

• Will Durant says:

Actually it was intended as sarcasm but I kept the Foghorn Leghorn quote intact. The real joke was on the American people in the previous administration. As to intent, you have wildly misconstrued many other statements I’ve posted and you are welcome to continue to do so, whatever floats your boat.

• xdog says:

Day job? Floats your boat? You both might consider new material.

btw I was in Norcross yesterday and listened to WMLB. They ran a short Jackie Mason bit that was first-rate. So’s WMLB in everything except signal strength.

• Will Durant says:

Well I wasn’t exactly being original with my implication on Cheney either if you want to pick nits.

• Ellynn says:

I don’t believe President “Doughface” Buchanan was even alive when the CIA was created… however, I didn’t think Ben Franklin was ever president or John Quincy Adams a founding father prior to reading the new text for the common core US History standard, so I could be wrong…

(written using invisable sarcasm font)