Does Georgia Need Another TEA Party Group?

In yesterday’s Daily Jolt by the AJC Political Insiders, it mentioned that outgoing Congressman Paul Broun (R-GA-10) is looking to be hired to begin his post-congressional endeavors. He’s said that he’d be interested in a paid board position of a corporation or even a leadership position in an existing organization if it is offered to him. If not? He’d be willing to go it alone and create another TEA Party-type organization:

If an organization doesn’t offer me that opportunity then I’ve begun the process of even starting my own – Restoring Liberty in America.

He went on to say that he’d be willing to join on in a leadership position for existing TEA Party-type organizations like FreedomWorks or Americans for Prosperity.

Congressman Broun has a passion for liberty and freedom, but does Georgia need yet another TEA Party/Liberty organization? The organizations, in my mind, have the same goal, but have different faces and names.

This isn’t critical of the passion or objective of the movement, but at what point do you stop and ask yourself “how many TEA Party meetings and organizations do I need to belong to in order to prove that I liberty enough?”

Serious talk though since we will see plenty of these booths surrounding the vestibule of the halls of the state convention.

Of course, the cynics in the crowd may point to the fact that he hasn’t ruled out a run for office in the future, and that him leading a TEA Party/Liberty-type organization will keep his name out there…at least, among those of his supporters and folks who follow the inside baseball of politics, but not necessarily the voters at-large.

1. TheEiger says:

“Does Georgia Need Another TEA Party Group?” – No

Let’s play would you rather.

1) Have the flu again or have another Tea Party Group run by Paul Broun? Flu
    2) Colonoscopy or Tea Party Group run by Paul Broun? It’s a tough one, but I’ll take the colonoscopy.
    3) Athlete’s foot over your entire body or a Paul Broun run Tea Party? I would load up on tough actin Tanactin.
    4) Having a chicken farm built behind your neighborhood or a new Paul Broun Tea Party? Chicken crap smells like money to me so that’s an easy one.

2. Ellynn says:

It has been my observation that outgoing congress types normally have jobs in the works, have offers they are fielding or have professional talent firms looking or making the rounds on their behalf – QUIETLY. He is risking his capital and noctiation strength by tell us what he will and will not do for a job.

He can always work for a min. wage job, like he expects other jobless drains on socity to do.

3. NorthGAGOP says:

We already have enough factions of the Tea Party, we don’t need another Tea Party group.

Good luck to Congressman Broun with his future endeavours.

4. Noway says:

One would be hard pressed to find a person inherently more stupid than Broun. Seriously. No serious organization will offer this clod a job. A leadership position? To quote John McEnroe, “You cannot be serious!!” He needs to go back to Backwoods, GA and get a volume discount on powdered latex gloves and K-Y.

• Lea Thrace says:

I think I read somewhere that he surrendered his license as a result of a malpractice suit, That could be very wrong though.

• Andrew C. Pope says:

If I remember the word going around the Athens old biddy gossip mill, he didn’t surrender his license but he doesn’t have admitting privileges to any hospital in Georgia, which makes it pretty hard to do your job as a doctor. When he was running for office he always boasted of being the only doctor in the state to do exclusively house calls (which was the result of not having admitting privileges), so I guess he could always go back to that.

5. Jon Lester says:

I guess nobody likes to downsize, but if it were me, I could get by just fine on his pension, and I believe I’d be content to write a book in the comfort of home.