Doug Collins to Jonathan Gruber: “I’m done with you”

There were a number of moments during Tuesday’s House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing on the transparency failures of ObamaCare. Republican members took turns grilling Jonathan Gruber, the economist who worked with the Obama administration to craft the law, and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Administration Marilyn Tavenner.

Toward the end of the hearing, Rep. Doug Collins (R-GA) got his chance to question Gruber, who has come under fire in recent weeks for calling voters “stupid” on a few different occasions. Unlike many of colleagues, Collins didn’t spend much his limited time grilling him. Instead, he spent under a minute with a short but pointed statement to Gruber.

“I, frankly, didn’t think it could get worse,” Collins told Gruber. “Congratulations, it got worse, coming in here with the attitude you had.”

“I’m good to know one thing,” he said. “By implication, voters who did not like the ObamaCare plan, did not vote for it, were probably not the stupid ones. And so my district, which voted against the president [with] almost 80 percent [of the vote], is full of, what you would consider, non-stupid people.”

“I’m done with you,” Collins told Gruber, before turning his attention to Tavenner.

Gruber has a sad.

• Ahhh…to be honest? I’ll take the degreed economist MIT professor’s word over a preacher/salesman of hazardous material/sometimes lawyer on economic issues.

Qute the Christian attitude displayed by Brother Collins, I must say. A true representative of the Children of The Lamb. He’s justifiably upset that his plan for healthcare didn’t get pass…ha! what am I saying??

I’m confident you will all agree with me on this.

• Jon Lester says:

H.Res 758 proved that it’s hardly limited to just our delegation. Others around the world have noted that we, as a nation, can’t seem to elect more than 10 intelligent people to the House.

Having said that, Gruber is on his own.

1. I am ashamed that this man is now my congresscritter. Cements my distrust of any Christian politician. Over 80%? Nope more like 75%

What percentage of your district is white? I’d venture 95% +

What percentage of those whites live here to get away from the “Fags and Thugs”™ in Atlanta, ergo, intolerants of diversity? At least 60%. In my city of East Ellijay there is one black family out of over 400 residences.

This entire district is becoming like the panhandle of Idaho. I see KKK flags openly flying in homes in the 9th as well as a slew of die hard ‘flaggers’ and their tattered bars of bitterness.

So shut up, sir. You speak for an echo chamber of fear and ignorance; and of descendants of Cherokee land thieves, moonshiners and rebel apologists. There is nothing smart about that at all.

• Don’t tell me, I’m not the one who uses such words in comment sections. I just quote the others. Must I fetch 40 or so examples from the internet as proof? I can probably find some on any story about gay rights or Ferguson.

• TheEiger says:

1) “(Obama’s) a nice person, he’s very articulate this is what’s been used against him, but he couldn’t sell watermelons if it, you gave him the state troopers to flag down the traffic.” — Dan Rather

2) “White folks was in the caves while we [blacks] was building empires … We built pyramids before Donald Trump ever knew what architecture was … we taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it.” — Al Sharpton

3) “‘Hymies.’ ‘Hymietown.’” — Jesse Jackson’s description of New York City while on the 1984 presidential campaign trail.

4) “A few years ago, (Barack Obama) would have been getting us coffee.” — Bill Clinton to Ted Kennedy

5) “The Israeli puppeteer travels to Washington and meets with the puppet in the White House. He then goes down Pennsylvania Avenue and meets with the puppets in Congress. The Israeli leader then ‘brings back millions of dollars’ in aid to Israel.” — Ralph Nader

6) “(Harry Reid) was wowed by Obama’s oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama — a ‘light-skinned’ African American ‘with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one.” — Harry Reid’s comments reported by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann

7) “I do not think it is an exaggeration at all to say to my friend from West Virginia [Sen. Robert C. Byrd, a former Ku Klux Klan recruiter] that he would have been a great senator at any moment. . . . He would have been right during the great conflict of civil war in this nation.” — Former Democratic Senator Christopher Dodd (D.,Conn.)

8) “Civil rights laws were not passed to protect the rights of white men and do not apply to them.” — Mary Frances Berry, former Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights

9) “Tainting the tea party movement with the charge of racism is proving to be an effective strategy for Democrats. There is no evidence that tea party adherents are any more racist than other Republicans, and indeed many other Americans. But getting them to spend their time purging their ranks and having candidates distance themselves should help Democrats win in November. Having one’s opponent rebut charges of racism is far better than discussing joblessness.” — Mary Frances Berry, former Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights

10) “Well, because the Arabs who were involved in 9/11 cooperated with the Zionists, actually. It was a cooperation. They gave them the perfect excuse to denounce all Arabs. It’s a racist sort of thing, really racist – you know, picking out these 19 or 20 terrorists – they were terrorists – and saying all the Arabs are like them.” — Former Democratic Senator James Abourezk on Hizbullah TV

11) “Let me see one of you adopt one of those ugly black babies.” — Abortionist Ashutosh Ron Virmani

12) “There’s no great, white bigot; there’s just about 200 million little white bigots out there.” — USA Today columnist Julienne Malveaux

13) “Them Jews aren’t going to let (Obama) talk to me. I told my baby daughter, that he’ll talk to me in five years when he’s a lame duck, or in eight years when he’s out of office. …They will not let him talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is.” — Jeremiah Wright

14) “There’s white racist DNA running through the synapses of his or her brain tissue. They will kill their own kind, defend the enemies of their kind or anyone who is perceived to be the enemy of the milky white way of life.” — Jeremiah Wright

15) “The white man is our mortal enemy, and we cannot accept him. I will fight to see that vicious beast go down into the lake of fire prepared for him from the beginning, that he never rise again to give any innocent black man, woman or child the hell that he has delighted in pouring on us for 400 years.” — Louis Farrakhan

16) “White people shouldn’t be allowed to vote. It’s for the good of the country and for those who’re bitter for a reason and armed because they’re scared.” — Left-wing journalist Jonathan Valania

17) “(Joseph Lowery) said that when he was a young militant, he used to say all white folks were going to hell. …’Then he mellowed and just said most of them were. Now, he said, he is back to where he was.’” — The Daily Mail quotes Joseph Lowery, who gave the benediction at President Obama’s inauguration

18) “We are owned by propagandists against the Arabs. There’s no question about that. Congress, the White House, and Hollywood, Wall Street, are owned by the Zionists. No question in my opinion. They put their money where their mouth is…We’re being pushed into a wrong direction in every way.” — Helen Thomas

19) “You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent.” — Joe Biden

20) “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.” — Joe Biden

21) “I give interracial couples a look. Daggers. They get uncomfortable when they see me on the street.” — Spike Lee

22) “I want to go up to the closest white person and say: ‘You can’t understand this, it’s a black thing’ and then slap him, just for my mental health.” — New York City Councilman, Charles Barron

23) “We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops. They ought to go.” — Marion Barry

24) “The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person…” — Barack Obama

25) “That’s just how white folks will do you. It wasn’t merely the cruelty involved; I was learning that black people could be mean and then some. It was a particular brand of arrogance, an obtuseness in otherwise sane people that brought forth our bitter laughter. It was as if whites didn’t know that they were being cruel in the first place. Or at least thought you deserving of their scorn.” — Barack Obama

• Yup. I could go and rebuke each one, but that would make you assume that I am, ahem, a Democratic apologists. Your fallacy lies in ignoring there are more than the two answers (your way, or go to hell way) exist. I am not a liberal and I am not a conservative. I am a US citizen who sees the bad in both the major parties, and make no apologies for either set of racists that dwell within the Duopoly.

Can you say the same? Only this time, try to use, you know, YOUR words?

• TheEiger says:

Please show me were I have 1) defended anything Doug Collins has said on this thread. 2) That I have ever said there are two answers (my way or go to hell) 3) Show me where I defend every word that a Republican politician says. You will find in your research that I have been quite critical of many.

I was simply pointing out that your use of the term bigot needed to also be used when referring to members of the party you most closely associate with and to say I will pray for you and your anger issues. Which I will. Bless your heart. It must hurt to be so angry all the time. Do you have a dog or a cat. They tend to help with anger issues.

• TheEiger says:

My favorite quotes are Vice President Joe Biden’s. Do you lump him in with the rest of the people you are calling bigots?

2. I, for one, think Rep. Collins remarks to Dr. Gruber were perfectly appropriate and spot-on. You don’t get elected to p–s on the people who trusted you to represent them. You shouldn’t sell Obamacare as a pig-in-a-poke and then laugh publicly about how “stupid” the people who couldn’t see through the sack are. And if there were any justice in the Universe, Gruber would be tarred and feathered.

3. MattMD says:

When do voters ever get to vote for any legislation, period?

Collins could have acted more professionally. Frankly, I don’t see how he gets off lecturing anybody on attitudes.

• Dave Bearse says:

Acted more professionally? He’s a newby representative of party that hasn’t demonstrated any ability to govern since years before he was elected to office, doing what the GOP does best given an opportunity—grandstanding.

4. seenbetrdayz says:

Stupid isn’t the right word for it. But I’d love to remove the labels from the ballots and see if they even know who the hell to vote for.