Morning Reads – Thursday, December 4, 2014

On this date in 1945, the U.S. Senate approved American participation in the United Nations. Thanks, y’all.

Peaches

Jimmy Carter

Sweet Tea

Liberty Drum

1. Noway says:

I had not been paying any attention really to the Eric Garner case in the last few days other than to hear that the cop who put him in the choke hold was not charged. But as details come out and I do a bit more research on my own the more ticked off I become. Garner’s offense? Selling “untaxed” cigarettes! Well, isn’t he a “clear and present danger” to the neighborhood!!! This is disgusting!! The God-dam** “revenuers” gotta get their freaking cut don’t they!!! Makes me physically ill! And it takes three or four cops to take him down? Are you joking? For a man selling cigarettes?!?!?!? I don’t give a rat’s a$$ if Mr. Garner grew a specialty tobacco in his own back yard, rolled them and went outside to sell them. THIS, this is just plain wrong on any number of levels. Law enforcement, government, or whatever you want to call the authorities are way, way out of control!

• Jon Lester says:

And the guy who made the video did get indicted.

All because of Bloomberg’s exorbitant cigarette tax. The same guy who bought his third term for $100 million and thinks he knows better than you what your gun rights should be.

• Ellynn says:

He was charged by a seperate grand jury a month later in a unrelated felony weapons charge based on a eyewitness account that he slipped a firearm to his friend to avoid a criminal firearm posseccion. He claims the police are rail roading him based on his involvment in filming in the Garner case.

Basically in New York City eye witness tesimony to a grand jury will lead to an inditment and a trial, but a video showing some one using an illegal choke hold is not enough to warrent an inditment.

• saltycracker says:

Might make a case for tasers with heavy sin taxes, cops expected to enforce and 300lb guys not taking kindly to it.

• saltycracker says:

Just to add for info: NYC Police take pride in the large reduction of major crime in the City and frequently point out that the primary reason is they nip matters in the bud early by being tough on petty crime.

2. blakeage80 says:

Why do people go into a profession (teaching) where they know the opportunities for advancement are not plentiful and the pay is never going to be executive level and then they complain about it? Someone answer this question: How much is enough for teachers?

• saltycracker says:

The study didn’t consider the 30 or so years they will be retired and drawing far more than their average working salary and benefits. Get that in line with the private sector and working pay can be increased substantially. It may attract more and 401ks let them not be holding on when burned out in 10-15 years, if they choose.

• Dr. Monica Henson says:

This usually draws plenty of online fire when I make this statement, but in my professional opinion, the average teacher is actually compensated quite handsomely when you factor in the days they are required to be on the job (190 in a school district, sometimes more in a charter school, but usually not more than 200) compared to about 240 for the average worker who works year-round with two weeks’ vacation plus corporate holidays. Teachers with kids also have much less daycare expense because they have the same holidays and vacation schedule their school-age children have (a major driver in many folks’ decision to go into teaching, along with the ten-week summer break). I was a classroom teacher for eleven years before losing my mind and moving into school administration. I taught high school English and coached basketball and track. I have been a principal at the elementary, middle, and high school levels and a teacher at the junior high and high school levels. I respect and support teachers. The teachers in my charter school centers work 45 hours a week year-round, with two weeks’ vacation and corporate and traditional school-year Thanksgiving and winter breaks. However, I am here to tell you that typical district school teachers do NOT work endless hours every night and all weekend long. They don’t spend their entire summers planning eight hours a day for the next school year. That isn’t to say that the dedicated among them, me included back in the day, didn’t spend some after-hours time grading papers, planning lessons, and making phone calls to parents, or that they don’t put in a week or two in the summertime getting ready for the next school year or participating in some training. But it’s not a 60-, 70-, or 80-hour a week commitment (unless you’re a coach, in which case you’re working sixteen-hour days during your sports season). School administration, on the other hand…

3. Ed says:

“Atlanta, not typically known for having an abundance of green space”

wat.

“there is no dispute that FSU is a top-notched school when it comes to landscaping and lawns.”

lol.

“You’d expect a huge University in Orlando to be beautiful.”

LOLWAT.