Our Opponents Are Not Our Enemies

David Barlow, a Fayette County Commissioner, has welcomed Pota Coston to the Fayette County Commission is a way that’d make anybody wonder if they’re welcome. Coston is the first black person to be elected to the Fayette County Commission. Barlow’s welcome refers to the Democrats as “Demoncrats” and calls them “evil.”

I am unsure if he next intends to burn a cross to keep Commissioner Coston warm in the Commission chambers.

This is really horrific coming from an elected official. Commissioner Barlow may be surprised to know, but the GOP did better with black and hispanic voters this year than any time in the past. His comments go a long way toward telling everyone that black and hispanic voters are not welcome with the Republican Party.

Equally troubling, Mr. Barlow says “conservative Christians have been unmercifully attacked by liberal demoncrats.” Note his spelling.

Jesus tells us to do under others as we’d like them to do to us. Does Commissioner Barlow want to be called a rethuglican? Oh wait . . . Republicans are. But Jesus said to turn the other cheek. Paul and Peter said to not seek revenge or to behave toward others in the negative ways they behave toward you.

We’re all sinners. We all like sheep go astray. But Commission Barlow could have set a great, Christian tone for this historic milestone in Fayette County. Instead, he behaved in the very way he is attacking others for behaving. He stooped to the level he accuses others of stooping.

I may not agree with Commissioner Coston on issues. We have never met. Being a Democrat, I doubt there is a lot we do agree on. But democratic organizations depend on respect between members of function properly for those they represent. Saying he prayed with the new commissioner really does not absolve Commissioner Barlow of the statement.

I hope he will apologize.

And perhaps Commissioner Barlow might want to take a deeper course in evangelizing, both politically and religiously. Christ said to go forth. Maybe Commissioner Barlow should go forth into Commissioner Coston’s district, spend time together, and understand the lives of others that do not look like him.

• Jon Lester says:

I don’t like most things Erick has said and done publicly, but founding Peach Pundit is the best of them, and the last couple things he’s posted here have been good.

1. jmacs12000 says:

I guess these kinda statements really bother this “lib” when he thinks it offends his side, but I guess I missed his denunciations of outrageous statements made by his fellow travelers against many republicans, theirs wives, etc, etc. Frankly I found it at worst a mild rebuke. Obviously this fella ERICK has a chip, more like a boulder, on his shoulder if he’s that thin skinned that he thinks the statement’s tied to racism. Politics is hard ball for sure. Perhaps it more of a sign from the opposition that the new fella has joined the club in Fayette Cty. Everyday this constant diatribe from the left regarding racism grows louder yet so little evidence is ever seen or proved. One is led to wonder who is benefiting from this?

• jiminga says:

You couldn’t be more wrong. Erick Erickson is a true Conservative, former office holder, blogger, radio personality, and is studying at seminary when he has time. Your comment reeks of a lack of knowledge and research, and is typical of the political “hate” that he decries.

• John Konop says:

………… ERICK has a chip, more like a boulder, on his shoulder if he’s that thin skinned that he thinks the statement’s tied to racism. Politics is hard ball for sure. Perhaps it more of a sign from the opposition that the new fella has joined the club in Fayette Cty. Everyday this constant diatribe from the left regarding racism grows louder yet so little evidence is ever seen or proved. One is led to wonder who is benefiting from this?……….

You are all over this! Erick is known as a radical left wing leader…..That Red State blog he has….nothing but a left wing propaganda machine….:) Thanks for keeping us all informed!

2. MikeS says:

I love Fayette County, I went to school with Charlie. It was and is a great county.

However it have always been a little provincial in a bad way. There are plenty of Democrats elected as Republicans though the years, but they were of the old south kind of Democrats and that was acceptable to some. Hopefully, the Republicans in Fayette County will remove the old South types and join the rest of the world in the 21st century.

• WesleyC says:

I’m from Fayette as well and agree that it was a wonderful place to grow up. But at the same time it was definitely one of the ground-zero counties for white-flight in the ’80s and ’90s, which fueled most of its exponential growth and put an indelible stamp on its political culture. I can remember in the mid-90s when Fayette was one of only two or three counties statewide that refused to approved an E-SPLOST, because apparently public schools are a socialist plot or something. And resistance to the T-SPLOST among white voters in Fayette was among the strongest in the metro region.

Of all the inner-metro counties, Fayette probably ties with Cherokee as the most resistant to being considered part of the metro region at all (even more-so than Cobb!). With the rapid demographic change in the north part of Fayette, it’s politics have been on a collision course like this for a long-time.

3. AdamTheLawyer says:

It’s not often you come across a freshly minted epithet, but this is my first encounter with both “Demoncrat” and “Rethuglican”.

“Rethuglican” is better … “Demoncrat” changes the cadence of the whole thing.

I vote we just change the names of the major parties to “Demons” and “Thugs”. Takes the sting out of it, and makes us all sound way more badass.

4. Keep in mind all of that anger comes from the fact that a court required them to district their 5 commission/school board districts so that the black minority (which mostly lives in one part of the county) could elect a candidate of their choice to *1* of the seats. The good ole’ boys club still has 4/5, and also from what I’ve seen at least 1 of the other 3 members publicly does not agree with this guy’s opinion.

5. Elliott2483 says:

I once believed such nonsense and it may have been true in the day of JFK demoncraps but with this vile criminal in the whitehouse and his lemmings in control you can only conclude that yes they are the enemy of America.

• Will Durant says:

“I will work tirelessly to see that in 2016 the GOP regains the Presidency thereby nullifying the evil that has been proliferating throughout our great nation. I declare this, in the mighty name of Jesus.” — David Barlow as quoted by the AJC

So let me ask you Harry, since you want to deflect all things to Obama, and since you and Barlow think God, his Son, and presumably the Holy Spirit are Republican. How did these prescient, omnipresent, and omnipotent incarnations of the “one true God” allow “our enemy” to become President of the United States in the first place?

• IndyPendant says:

You know, much the same way Harry believes that it rained for 40 days and flooded the world, yet denies that climate change is real.

The Lord works in strange and wondrous ways!

6. mr_snarkey says:

I expect such pathetic name-calling from anonymous blog commenters like some of the wingnuts above…not a county commissioner like Barlow. As an elected official, even if you disagree with someone you should be able to maintain a veneer of civility, but Barlow just isn’t that mature. He just whines about attacks by the media and labels his opponents as evil. What a sad, lame person he is.

• Baker says:

“I expect such pathetic name-calling from anonymous blog commenters like some of the wingnuts above…not a county commissioner like Barlow.”

Or sometimes hosts on talk radio…

See Glenn Beck:

“I wish I could go back and be more uniting in my language because I think I played a role, unfortunately, in helping tear the country apart and it’s not who we are and I didn’t realize how really fragile the people were. I thought we were kind of a little more in it together. Now I look back and I realize if we could have talked about the uniting principles a little bit more, instead of just the problems, I think I would look back on it a little more fondly.”

I stopped listening to several talk radio shows because they had gone so off the rails. Just as liberals had “Bush derangement syndrome”, many on the right are apparently suffering from the same about Obama. I’m no fan of his policies and think he is a bad president but so much of the criticism has gone way over the top (when I heard “terrorist fist jab” I think that was when I realized some had lost their minds).

Maybe seminary attendance is mellowing the esteemed founder of this here website but a lot of what I hear on there is pretty divisive and incendiary.

7. Bobloblaw says:

The left hates America. They hate its history, traditions and institutions. They are determined to unmake the United States and then remake it as a socialist multicultural noneuropean nation. A nation with collectivism and no individual liberties. A nation run and planned by progressives to create a utopia on earth. They see America’s history and culture and traditions as an impediment to their vision of utopia.

Not ever member of the Democrat party believes in this but these people today control the Democrat party as well as academia and media.