Morning Reads for Tuesday, November 18th, 2014

DSCN0135

This day in history: I was born. But that’s not important right now. My best friend of ten years, my dog Buzz, passed away yesterday. He was a beautiful soul who was my constant companion for the last decade. I’ll miss him always.

Georgia:

• A tribute to Governor Sanders (myajc)
  • Why bars should have million dollar policies (cbs46)
  • You know where you shouldn’t park your F-250? Gwinnett. That’s where. (ajc)
  • Get excited people within boundaries designed by an algorithm (myajc)
  • A good write-up of the Heyward trade (ChopCounty)

National:

• 28 Important Philosophers List the Books That Influenced Them Most During Their College Days (Demisiado)
  • In Oil’s Slide, Echoes of a Fall: Adapted From ‘The Frackers: The Outrageous Inside Story of the New Billionaire Wildcatters’ (WSJ)
  • Against Productivity: This Essay Took Four Years to Write (Medium)
  • The Unbelievable Skepticism of the Amazing Randi (NY Times)
  • How Jocks and Mathletes Are Alike: Seven Sports That Come Down to How Well Your Neurons Play (Nautilus)
  • The War of the Words: How Did Amazon End Up as Literary Enemy No. 1? (Vanity Fair)
  • Valerie Jarrett is The Obama Whisperer: Our Key To Understanding the Real Barack Obama (New Republic)
  • What Do You Do When You Think You Have a Murderer in the Family? (Vice)
  • Finding Marlowe: Did this man inspire two of noir’s iconic fictional detectives? (LA Times)

1. Noway says:

Sorry about your dog, Stefan. Pets are every bit as much a part of the family as anyone else. I know you’ll miss him.

2. Jon Lester says:

I know the feeling of losing a pet all too well, and I hate that it happened when it did, not that there’s any such thing as a better time for the loss.

The reading list provided by that Demisiado Aire post is very handy, but I don’t get why those 28 modern philosophers polled are “important.”

3. saltycracker says:

Pass the hemlock:
    Deep thoughts today quickly degenerate into emotional sensitivities involving lists, race and sex.

As we know: Our dog loves us unconditionally.

• saltycracker says:

Never mind -on the important philosophers list – just ran a survey/poll at a Peachtree intersection:
      What does Socrates mean to you:
      1. A dog’s name
      2. Something in Athens, Ga
      3. An old black guy
      4. Get the hell away from my car

4. Lwood says:

We lost our Bichon mix , Libby. To quote my eldest daughter, “I’ve lost a lot of dogs, but it doesn’t hurt any less”

5. Lwood says:

I ran across an article from the Houston Chronicle about something regarding the “Blue Wall”. What’s the proper way to post it?

6. PegM says:

The philosopher list: I ain’t read none of those dere books ‘cept Catch22. Guess dat mkes me a smartass too.

7. SallyForth says:

Happy birthday, Stefan – which I know is difficult on the day after losing your doggy family member Buzz. Just treasure the love and good memories, buddy.