Why I Voted For Nathan Deal And David Perdue

Tomorrow is election day, but I have already cast my ballot. I’m obviously one of the resident Republican partisans here on Peach Pundit, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on why I voted for both Governor Nathan Deal and David Perdue.

Georgia has shown to be a very pro-business state, a fact that has been shown time and time and time again. That’s a point of pride for our state, and I believe that points to the leadership of Governor Deal and our state’s legislature. That’s something to think about. I know our governor doesn’t single-handily create jobs or spread out seeds that magically make businesses pop up all over the state, but he helps set the tone of what sort of policies should be implemented.

I know there are a lot of self-identifying Republicans (both implicit and explicit…that includes folks who show up to county party meetings on a regular basis, participate in the convention process, and/or get elected as officers in the Republican Party at some level) who have said that they will vote for the Libertarian candidate for Governor for various reasons. That’s fine. That’s your choice. You have the freedom to make up your mind since whomever you vote for is between you, the voting machine, and God. I will say, however, that if we see tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning with the headline “Another Carter Heads To Governor’s Mansion”, then you can expect a lot of conservative legislation coming from the Republican legislature will arrive on a Governor Carter’s desk to arrive DOA. If you’re a self-identifying Republican who is contemplating voting for the Libertarian, then you will only have yourself to blame if this scenario comes to fruition.

I’ll be honest. I didn’t think David Perdue had a shot at winning the Republican primary. He is a man who hasn’t been in the Republican ranks until he declared that he was running for Senator Saxby Chambliss’ seat. He’s positioned himself as an “outsider”, so now we have an “outsider” v. “outsider” campaign. Soon, one of them will no longer be an outsider. Michelle Nunn has stated that she would vote for the best Democratic leader that she believes would best get the job done. That’s a bit ambiguous, but that leaves enough room to say that she believes, in her judgment, the best Democrat to lead is Harry Reid. The same Harry Reid who has refused to bring up a large number of House bills for a vote in the upper chamber. Will David Perdue vote for Mitch McConnell as leader when the next Congress convenes in January? I’m not sure, and there’s a possibility he will, but that may not be an absolutely horrendous thing that folks have been crying about. (see the Mitch-Rand bromance that has blossomed this election cycle). When it comes right down to it, I would bet that David Perdue would vote for conservative legislation more often than Michelle Nunn would. Can I guarantee it? No, but party identification is a start.

If Republicans fail to retain control of either the governor’s mansion or the US Senate seat, then you can expect the Democratic National Committee to be licking their lips in 2016. They’ll see the Peach State ripe and ready to pick as another southern state that they can put back into their blue basket. Elections have consequences, and having a Democratic governor and/or US Senator would certainly have some ramifications for Georgia’s political landscape in the future.

It’s your choice. I encourage you to choose to vote Republican on Tuesday.

1. gcp says:

Pretty much agree. You got to go with the better of the candidates that have a chance to win; in this case its Perdue and Deal. I stuck with Perdue all along but I was a Pennington supporter in the primary.

For those that thought Kingston was the best primary choice; all we would we have heard from Nunn camp would be “career politician.”

2. WeymanCWannamakerJr says:

A vote for Deal could work out the same as a vote for Cagle, so there’s that.

I hope the Tea Partiers are happy now. I seriously doubt Perdue’s voting will differ more than a percentage point from those Chambliss would have made. Seniority does matter in the Senate. Georgia saw a lot of benefits from having Senate Armed Services Chairmen for a large part of the second half of the 20th century.

• Noway says:

I’m unsure why you’re mad at Tea Partiers. Are you suggesting that they caused Saxby to retire? He could have simply stayed and kept his seniority….

• WeymanCWannamakerJr says:

I guess I just dreamed about the TPP calling him Taxby, Debbie Dooley bragging about booing him from the stage in a convention, threatening to “primary him”, and openly seeking Republican opponents before he even announced the retirement. Don’t you think that just may have weighed in on his decision?

The Senate is a different animal from the House and Senators can’t stay at loggerheads with fewer numbers leaving little room for obstructionists. I’m not saying he is the best Senator Georgia has ever had or the like but the biggest difference between him and Perdue will be lack of seniority. Which is a bigger deal than most wanting term limits are willing to admit.

• blakeage80 says:

How is Perdue’s nomination the Tea Party’s fault? Yes, I consider it a fault that he was nomin-ated, but the Tea Party’s?

• James Hall says:

I think he’s referring to the Tea Party’s tendency to want to vote out ALL incumbents. As the GOP Run Off came down to a choice between veteran Congressman Jack Kingston or “outsider” David Perdue, many within the Tea Party rallied behind Perdue. This, of course, was a significant factor with Perdue’s win.

3. Three Jack says:

If Carter wins…”then you can expect a lot of conservative legislation coming from the Republican legislature will arrive on a Governor Carter’s desk to arrive DOA.” Good! If we had known all it took for ‘conservative legislation’ to be passed, we could have elected a dem governor last time.

Also, those in the GOP who continue the pre-blame game of ‘if you vote for the Libertarian then you can blame yourself when Carter wins’ should just stop. It’s a tired old tactic that wouldn’t even be an option if the GOP put forth decent candidates who actually served the public instead of the opposite. Blaming those of us who became frustrated with GOP arrogance for the GOP arrogance is almost funny if not for how ignorant it makes you sound.

• blakeage80 says:

You know, Three Jack, I do wonder how much longer it will be before America becomes a 2+ party system. As the GOP drifts to the center, eventually, they will alienate enough of us that there will be a third (and maybe 4th?) party with major influence by numbers of members elected, instead of being the loser that helps determine the winner. The transition will be painful, I’m sure.

• Baker says:

Not implementing conservative legislation doesn’t make you a centrist. More likely you are someone who is just trying to be a politician as a career and are afraid of putting yourself out there as a real leader or about upsetting too many folks who may or not be loud (the difference between Nathan Deal and Scott Walker is coming to mind here). The GOP is not drifting to the center. Between Scott Walker, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, who else?, all those guys are the “frontrunners” for the 2016 nom and definitely not center.

• blakeage80 says:

I think the GOP leadership is already firmly centrist and fighting to rid the party of those ‘too far right’. I wish more conservatives had thought two more seconds before breaking for Perdue from the ranks of Broun and Gingrey…etc. We could have retained a little credibility in the Senate by sending a long time congressman over there.

• Three Jack says:

I’m guessing you believe ‘centrist’ means somebody who doesn’t focus on social issues the way Broun, Hice, Gingrey, et al do. So that would mean in your world I am a ‘centrist’ because I am pro-choice, pro-immigration reform and pro-gay marriage.

If Broun or Gingrey had won the senate primary, we would be discussing who will run against Nunn in 2020 right now instead of following a close race with Perdue slightly ahead. Those guys along with Hice are the GOP’s problem, not ‘centrists’ like myself trying to move the party into the 21st century.

• Baker says:

@blake: I feel like what you are saying may have been true in 2010ish but is not nearly the case now. I’m not as anti-social issues as Three Jack is, regarding abortion mainly (you can be pro-life & pro-gay marriage…they’re not really related), but those issues should be so far down the priority list right now. We are a long way from the free-spending Bush Congress days and have Republicans in leadership and with support to push real reform on things.

Paul Ryan did not magically become a centrist overnight. In 2011, the base loved that guy. Mitch McConnell’s lifetime ACU rating is 90. Lynn Westmoreland is 76. Tom Graves is 91. Just because McConnell didn’t want to shut down the government doesn’t mean he is a centrist.

• blakeage80 says:

I have made an error by bringing the political spectrum into this and you guys assumed I am talking about social issues. I am talking about shrinking government as opposed to wanting to grow it a certain way to favor certain people. I would have preferred Kingston to Perdue because The Senate is more about state representation than representing groups of people in a state. I think. as stated above, that seniority matters there and can really help a given state (like military base re-alignment) I am not in any way pouting because Broun (the guy I voted for) lost. I liked him mainly because he wanted to do a lot of government shrinking.

Three Jack, it should not be up to politicians or government to change your thoughts on any given social issue.

4. Trey A. says:

Perdue & Nunn are running for an office where the little letter next to their name possibly means control of the U.S. Senate. That’s a big deal.

The little letter matters a lot less for the office Carter & Deal are running for. A vote for Deal is a vote of confidence in an elected official with a long pattern of corruption an unethical behavior. As my mom likes to say, “If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.”

5. NoTeabagging says:

I find that sentiment rather sad. As if you are saying, Republicans cannot (or will not) create legislation that can be approved by anyone on the other team. If my assumption is true, you and many party fans have decided to continue the obstructionist MO of the Big Two. Why must it always be a one party victory or nothing?

Why not expect our legislators to create good legislation based on the needs of the citizens?
    Something both teams would be proud to pass.

• Engineer says:

Considering Republicans control both chambers by nearly 2/3rds of each, is everybody forgetting about the simple idea of overriding a veto (After all, all they need to do to override a gubernatorial veto with a two-thirds majority in each chamber)? Would it really be hard to bring a 2-3 dems over on a few bills now and then if this was the case? Just a thought.

6. eddiep says:

One GOP KoolAid too many. If Carter wins the general, voting Libertarian or Republican doesn’t change the outcome. Dem gets over 50% then all the other votes could be Republican and the result will be the same. However, after a common core education that math may change.
    From original post:
    ” I will say, however, that if we see tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning with the headline “Another Carter Heads To Governor’s Mansion”, then you can expect a lot of conservative legislation coming from the Republican legislature will arrive on a Governor Carter’s desk to arrive DOA. If you’re a self-identifying Republican who is contemplating voting for the Libertarian, then you will only have yourself to blame if this scenario comes to fruition.”

7. South Fulton Guy says:

Republican candidates are surging. Not only do they look poised to win the Senate, but it looks like their majority in the U.S. House will be bolstered as well.

But polls are just polls. They mean nothing if we don’t get out and vote tomorrow, and make sure that people in our own spheres of influence vote as well.

8. seenbetrdayz says:

Well, gee, I don’t want it to be my fault that republicans don’t win if I vote libertarian, so I’ve decided to sit this one out and not vote at all.

9. Dave Bearse says:

My recollection is that Perdue categorically stated at a debate that he would not vote for Mitch McConnell, as did at least three other candidates. Kingston and Gingrey had enough sense to answer in a manner that would allow them to vote for McConnell.