Morning Reads: Final Campaign Push

10314766_866289736718270_1255726695890658019_nHEAVY READING FIRST, BECAUSE TOMORROW IS ELECTION DAY …

Win or lose, Georgia GOP leaders say the party needs a new strategy for the future.

The rise of early voting.

One thing to keep in mind when reading polls.

Dems, GOP clash over Obama in final weekend of campaigning.

Obama makes some last-minute campaign appearances.

Even CNN is thinking its going to be a GOP tidal wave.

Nunn vs. Perdue: The Final Round?

TIME may be right. Rand Paul may very well be the most interesting man in politics.

Georgia’s best elections coverage (OK, I’m partial. But be sure to listen Tuesday night for real-time coverage and analysis as results come in).

MEDIUM WEIGHT …

Did CNN’s Paul Begala really say that some states hunt Democrats down with dogs?

Brookhaven is a little behind the eight-ball on this proposed redevelopment referendum.

Here’s something a little embarrassing.

The return of Jim Crow? Of course, this is Al Jazeera, so take it for what it’s worth.

Found this observation about capitalism on Facebook.

And now, just relax …

Japanese company creates a real-life Transformer.

A little gallery I did over the weekend on snow in Jaw-Ja and the Southeast.

Reality check in Athens.

Nik Wallenda makes Chicago high-wire walks.

1. Noway says:

The terminally ill woman in Oregon ended her life this past weekend. Prayers for her and her family. Gutsy act. Good for her to be able to choose. Is our legislature listening?

2. Harry says:

Top 10 Reasons to Vote Democrat
    #10. I vote Democrat because I love the fact that I can now marry
who, or whatever I want. I’ve decided to marry my German Shepherd.
    #9. I vote Democrat because I believe oil companies’ profits of 4% on a gallon of gas are obscene, but the government taxing the same gallon at 15% isn’t.
    #8. I vote Democrat because I believe the government will do a better job of spending the money I earn than I would.
    #7. I vote Democrat because Freedom of Speech is fine as long as nobody is offended by it.
    #6. I vote Democrat because I’m way too irresponsible to own a gun, and I know that my local police are all I need to protect me from murderers and thieves. I am also thankful that we have a 911 service that gets police to your home in order to identify your body after a home invasion.
    #5. I vote Democrat because I’m not concerned about millions of babies being aborted so long as we keep all death row inmates alive and comfy.
    #4. I vote Democrat because I think illegal aliens have a right to free health care, education, and Social Security benefits, and we shouldtake away Social Security from those who paid into it.
    #3. I vote Democrat because I believe that businesses should not be allowed to make profits for themselves. They need to break even and givethe rest away to the government for redistribution as the Democrat Party sees fit.
    #2. I vote Democrat because I believe liberal judges need to rewrite the Constitution every few days to suit fringe kooks who would never gettheir agendas past the voters.
    #1. I vote Democrat because I think it’s better to pay $billions$ for oil to people who hate us, but not drill our own because it might upset some endangered beetle, gopher, or fish here in America. We don’t care about the beetles, gophers, or fish in those other countries.

3. Ed says:

Reasons to vote GOP:
    1) I think chain emails have some relevance.

In case there were any doubt that the SEC is not the behemoth it was once believed to be, there is no mention of it in the MRs anymore.

#caseclosed

• blakeage80 says:

This post is two steps back after the step forward you took the other day, Ed. I thought you were on your way to becoming a convert. I guess this weekend was like giving a sip of bourbon to an alcoholic.

Reason to vote GOP:
      2) Old candidates.
      3) Crazed primary voters

• Ed says:

FWIW, I don’t say one loss/win changes the entirety of your season so I’m not willing to write off UGA but one more loss from them (and frankly, they might have three more–Kentucky is a perfect trap game, Auburn is who they are and that option from Tech can mess with anybody) and the SEC East as a whole can be said to be awful and its getting worse.

Look at the West–Ole Miss is fading, MSU is struggling against bad opponents, LSU I’m still not sold on but Arkansas and aTm are mediocre. There’s eight bad teams in the SEC, let’s see how UGA shakes out before deciding they’re good.

• blakeage80 says:

UK might have been a trap game if we hadn’t lost to UF this weekend. AU: Yes, I’m worried. Tech: PUHlease…of course, I was thinking the same thing about Florida this past weekend. *sigh* Outback/Liberty Bowl, here we come.

• MattMD says:

It’s just mindless, isn’t it? At least try to make it funny and don’t keep us in suspense. Did the guy/gal who married the dog (that is about how far I got) consummate the marriage? I wouldn’t exactly be surprised if people who circulated those emails did in fact have had some unusual relationships with animals.

4. Noway says:

You’ll be sad when that Pale Stale Male beats your sister, Michelle. Seriously, Briget, your support for her primarily because she’s female is surprising.

• “You’ll be sad when that Pale Stale Male beats your sister” heh.

I’ve said (and defended and explained) repeatedly – it’s not JUST because she’s a woman. I supported plenty of male GOPers… until I didn’t. Some of them are in office. Some of them lost.

But look at the “Unity” photo above… WHERE. IS. PERDUE?? He’s simply not a good candidate.

• Jon Lester says:

We regulars here at PP probably all vote in primaries, but we really need to encourage more people to do so in 2016, provided the state parties can run some good candidates (which shouldn’t be asking a lot, but they sure make it seem so).

• Will Kremer says:

Further proof the GOP needs to improve how we communicate to female voters. I don’t see how snide remarks such as yours will encourage Bridget to vote for Republican candidates again.

• Bobloblaw says:

Actually the GOP has won the white female vote every election since 1992. The GOP’s problem isnt non whites, it isnt women.

• saltycracker says:

Further proof the GOP needs to focus on the positive – individual rights – and not try to manage or gerrymander groups by race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, culture……it is not in the public/communities best interest.

5. Jon Lester says:

You’ve probably seen reports of the US, EU and Kiev regime calling yesterday’s Donbass elections “illegitimate,” even though they generated greater turnout than recent polls for the rest of Ukraine, which barely drew 40%. Once again, the powers that be have dispensed with that whole notion of self-determination, and expect us to accept it, our own history notwithstanding.

Make of that link what you will, but if those turnout numbers were demonstrably untrue, Western media would have said something, rather than leaving it out completely.

6. MattMD says:

I don’t see why Georgia fans are so surprised as if y’all didn’t think Richt had one of these games in his back pocket? I was thinking either UF or UK. They will show up to play Auburn and Tech. UGA could easily lose all three, IMO.