Landmark: Hice Has Big Lead

A poll by Landmark Communications of 500 likely voters conducted October 30th shows Republican Jody Hice with a substantial lead over his Democratic rival Ken Dious.

If the election for US Congress were held today and the candidates were Jody Hice, the Republican, and Kenneth Dious, the Democrat, for which candidate would you vote?

Hice: 60.6%
Dious: 32.2%
Undecided: 7.2%

Landmark’s Mark Rountree said:

“Jody Hice has successfully consolidated Republican voters after a bruising primary. Self-described Republicans are supporting him by a 93-3% margin, which is actually remarkably a high percentage. The only way a Democrat would have been able to win an election in the Tenth would have been to win a significant number of Republican votes. That just hasn’t happened here.”

Another result of note is the poll shows Hice pulling 10.9% of the African-American vote. Are African-American Christians tired of seeing a Pastor bashed for his beliefs? Just a theory.

Cross tabs here (pdf).

Discuss.

1. Bobloblaw says:

I dont get it. How does a congressional district with a major state university vote for Broun and Hice by such large margins?

• Will Durant says:

Political Science 101 taught at said university covers it in the chapter titled Gerrymandering. It may be traditional but that don’t make it right.

• Bobloblaw says:

You cant gerrymander from a loss to a 60-40 win. And gerrymander from where exactly? Should Athens be in Hank Johnson’s district?

• I think they had a draft map that put it in the 13th before it ended up in the old 12th.

It’s easy to get to 60% Athens is surrounded by Barrow, Oconee, Jackson etc not exactly places known as liberal bastions.

• Will Durant says:

It also has NW Gwinnett to near Augusta without Richmond County all the way down to near, but not including Dublin. That is all good deer hunting land on the Piedmont but also lots of Bible thumping territory. A few perfessahs can’t hold a candle to that many hardshell Baptists.

2. Harry says:

The above comments prove once more that Peach Punditeers are completely out of touch with the large majority of Georgia Republican voters.

• Robbie says:

If the majority of Georgia Republican voters agree with the many, many, many absurd and offensive things Hice has said, I have absolutely no problem being out of touch with them.

• Dave Bearse says:

Indeed, agreeing will someone less than 90% of the time is no different that not agreeing with the absurd or offensive.

• Robbie says:

Sure, I don’t agree with every candidate I vote for 100%, but then there are other candidates who are so off the wall I’ll vote a write-in before I’d ever consider voting for them. Hice is one of them.

• Will Durant says:

I don’t know what the percentage would be as I didn’t get past square one, as in the 1st Amendment.

• Andrew C. Pope says:

The comments prove that a large number of Republicans in the 10th District are willing to support a bigot and an intellectual midget because of the R next to his name. Its a shame that the 10th will once again be left without effective representation in Congress.

• First of all, Hice’s beliefs are well further from the mainstream than John Lewis or Hank Johnson’s. Secondly, I doubt a majority of voters in the 10th know anything about Hice other than that he has an R next to his name.

Thirdly – Democrats have been much better at defeating extremists in primary (Cynthia McKinney?) than Republicans have.

• Three Jack says:

Chris,

Look back at the McKinney election. It was actually GOPers crossing over during the primary to support Majette. Otherwise McKinney wins. Dems didn’t knock her off.

• Yeah but there were way more Democrats voting than Republicans. Democrats may have ended up around 55 McKinney 45 Majette in 2002, and Republicans and independents put her over the top.

Compare that to the CD 10 primary in 2008…
              Broun 71
              Fleming 29

I rest my case.

• Three Jack says:

So you’re resting your case by agreeing with me. That’s an odd twist.

According to your numbers, without GOP crossover, McKinney wins because dems could not ‘defeat extremism’ in that race or pretty much any other.

Bottom line, neither party is especially good at eliminating extreme wackjobs.

• I’m saying that we’ve defeated Mckinney not once but twice in primaries. In 2002’s district you had a lot of Dunwoody sure. In 2006 you did not – you had a much more black core district and some white areas of Gwinnett and Newton that aren’t known for crossing over. And yet the Dems got it close enough that crossover voters could deliver the fatal blow.

In the 10th district primary I referenced, crossover voters would have to outnumber Republicans 2:1 to win.

• NoTeabagging says:

McKinney was already showing CRAZY in 2002. She drove enough faithful away to vote for Majette. Associate the Majette votes to Dems or crossover conspiracies or whatever. Just know her district didn’t vote because of team loyalty. Scary that Hice’s district has a large percentage of zombie (R) voters.

• James Hall says:

Three Jack,

That’s not entirely true. My Republican family crossed over to vote for Majette over McKinney in 2002. In fact, that primary was the first election I ever voted in. As it turned out, the numbers indicated that Majette could have soundly beaten McKinney WITHOUT the Republican crossovers.

Essentially, that’s what we saw four years later when Hank Johnson challenged McKinney. He knocked her out with less crossover voters then Majette had!

• Bobloblaw says:

Johnson can’t get much done for his district. There in lies the irony of racial gerrymandering. More minorities in congress, but they are so safe, that the voters end up electing incompetent and corrupt representatives. Shelia Jackson Lee and my fav Alcee Hastings.

3. Jon Lester says:

Truthfully, a plurality of GA-10 voters really do back Hice’s stated views, and few question if that’s what he really thinks, or if he’s just used to saying what he must to keep people coming to his church and listening to his radio show. A larger number of right-leaning voters just don’t care enough to vote for some anonymous Democrat whose name they’ll forget as soon as they cast their ballots. Worse, Hice probably won’t get any primary challengers in 2016, and the state Democratic party likely won’t come up with an inspiring alternative, even if Hice has everyone missing Paul Broun at that point.

4. Thadius says:

At Andrew C. Pope et al…
    The man offered himself as a candidate knowing that anonymous, arrogant, wannabes would likely ridicule him and do everything within their power to discredit him.
    He took the hits through the primary, and he won.
    He has managed this in the general election as well. It looks like tens of thousands of Georgians are going to give him their vote of confidence and elect his as a US Congressman.

So, what have you been up to lately?

• Andrew C. Pope says:

What have I been up to lately? Well, I’ve been kind of busy with not being a horrible human being. Not being a bigot is really time consuming, but hey, someone has to do it.

Tens of thousands of Georgians aren’t giving him a vote of confidence, they’re clicking the name with an R next to it. People are voting for him because they either:
      a) agree with his lack of moral compassion;
      b) don’t know that he’s a bigot but do know that he’s a Republican;
      c) know about his racism, misogyny, homophobia, etc. and are ignoring it because there’s an R next to his name; or
      d) figure that a bigoted fool like Hice isn’t going to accomplish squat in Congress anyway, so may as well let him collect paychecks and a pension than elect a Democrat.

Even if he wasn’t a bigot, I still wouldn’t vote for him. That is because I think he’s a Grade A moron. This is an opinion formed after trying to listen to his radio show. Seriously, I’ve heard 4th graders with a better grasp of logic and reason. I guess the silver lining is that he’ll be nothing more than wall decoration in Congress, since no one with a lick of sense will associate with someone like him. The 10th will continue to limp along without a representative in Congress while this guy gets to collect government paychecks for doing a whole lot of nothing (look who is the moocher now).

5. Thadius says:

or, perhaps:
    e) Understand who the man is and find themselves more aligned with him than any of the several opposnents he has faced. 🙂

That’s how elections work, see… Everybody gets a vote, and the person who is known to be more closely aligned with the most voters, well… they win, see…

That’s why I don’t bad-mouth John Lewis even though I disagree with many of his policy positions. I respect that he is an accurate reflection of the electorate who appoints him to his position. And I have enough respect for said electorate to accept their decision as informed based on the worldview and motivating factors which drive them. It just seems like it would be bigoted and closed-minded of me to judge them (or him), don’t you think?

• Andrew C. Pope says:

Ah, well that’s where you and I differ. I draw a line if a candidate has serious ethical or moral flaws. Even if a candidate and I agree on 100% of the issues, I can’t bring myself to vote for people who are just terrible human beings. But, if you want to vote for bigots and misogynists and racists and homophobes because you agree with their position on other issues, be my guest.

• Jon Lester says:

At today’s happy hour, at my favorite bar on the west side of downtown Athens, I got immediate unanimous agreement that we should all more forcefully encourage primary voting in 2016, because we sure did get some bad nominees this year.

• Andrew C. Pope says:

Jon, what bar? I’m a now-relocated Athens native and longing for home. Is Copper Creek still kicking?

• Jon Lester says:

I hesitated to name the Manhattan, but on second thought, maybe Joey doesn’t mind a little more free advertising.

I don’t go to Copper Creek because those people cut down the tree that was in the back throughout the Uptown, Shoebox and Atomic eras.

Are you the same Andy Pope I know through music circles?