Elbert Guillory: “We Will Have Nunn”

Elbert Guillory is a State Senator from Louisiana who wowed many conservatives by releasing a video last year called “Why I am a Republican.” In an apparent attempt to counteract some of the Democratic Party’s appeals to African Americans this election cycle, he has cut a number of videos for GOP candidates, including this one, which attacks Michelle Nunn:

Meanwhile some, Like the Washington Post’s Nia-Malika Henderson think Guillory’s move is a bad idea that will have the undesired effect of alienating black voters.

1. Michael Silver says:

Wishful thinking on Nia-Malika’s part. The only limitations on the impact of Senator Guillory’s videos is distribution and how to get them viewed in the Black community.

• David C says:

As someone who supports Democrats, please get this Republican turned Democrat turned Republican to be the face of your minority outreach. He couldn’t be a less convincing spokesperson if he tried. Talk about “overseers” and “plantations” doesn’t actually appeal to any actual African-American voter–and talking about high poverty in Georgia as a fault of who they voted for in the past ignores the fact that neither Nunn nor Carter is the incumbent. The African American voter in Georgia has plenty of politicians they trust and respect–some out of state local politico doesn’t register compared to either Presidents Clinton or Obama, or Congressman John Lewis. Those politicians know how to appeal to both the black lower class and the black middle class–the latter of which Atlanta has plenty of. The video traffics in stereotypes and ‘plantation’ mythology about the black voter that most black voters would find offensive no matter who’s saying it. If you think this is persuasive, you’re just as tone deaf as he is.

• caroline says:

Yep, like I said below it’s the same insulting message the GOP has been putting out for quite a while just put a different unknown character giving the same message and then there’s plenty of elected Republicans who undercut any message the GOP might try to reach minorities with.

• MattMD says:

Yeah, there isn’t anything quite like invoking chattel slavery in an attempt to make political points.

2. Three Jack says:

I agree with Michael, too bad this wasn’t distributed to those predominantly black churches voting the past couple of Sundays.

• Three Jack says:

Or you may want to check your thinking. Eventually blacks will stop blindly supporting Ds. Guillory’s message is spot on and if heard by thinking folks, will start to resonate.

For all those criticizing the GOP and Mr. Guillory, what message do you think will cause blacks to consider looking at the GOP?

3. caroline says:

Basically it’s stupid. It’s the same rhetoric the GOP has been attacking African Americans with for decades–you’re a bunch of idiots for not voting for the GOP is the message. So now put this guy with the same message and they think it’s going to work. The GOP has NO IDEA how to minority outreach. They really would be better going to MS and talking to Thad Cochran than wasting their time with this kind of ad.

• Noway says:

I can’t either, Chris. Everyone would like the gov’t to pay for their health care. Whether it’s Medicare or Caid, Promising a gov’t check is a no-brainer.

• To the extent that they get healthcare, the gov’t already pays for the Medicaid expansion crowd. The difference would be a consistent peace of mind approach instead of an oh-sh*t i showed up with disastrous complications from my untreated diabetes.

Conservatives love to pretend as if somehow the poor are ready to pull themselves up by their boot straps and pay for their own healthcare. Even the Price plan includes a generous subsidy for the poor to buy health care with. It’s maybe not as generous as what Medicaid expansion costs, yet it’s there.

So anytime I see something that’s like “How are we going to pay for this?” I have to just roll my eyes. The money is in the repeal and replace bill too.

• caroline says:

That’s got to be a first–the GOP using Malcolm X.

And the comments under that video are hilarious. It’s the end times and “I usually don’t trust black people”. This is a video that make white people think they are reaching black people and feel better about themselves.

4. greencracker says:

“Free at Last PAC?” This is like the Apple ads with Gandhi: when and why is co-opting dead heroes OK? ‘Specially these two, come on, they’re in living memory.

I guess it’s cheaper than live spokespeople, who cost money.

5. Baker says:

This may work in Louisiana where he may be a familiar name but I feel like in states where he’s going to be just viewed as some outsider it sounds patronizing and offensive.

• David C says:

Can’t imagine it would work in Louisiana either–I’d imagine people there would be familiar with his “I’m a Republican! Now I’m a Democrat! Now I’m a Republican again!” schtick and not find him a trustworthy voice.

6. PegM says:

I can only say “I’ve never seen anything like this before”, so it’s hard to take it all in and comment.