Why I Support Governor Deal

The fact that I support Governor Deal for re-election should surprise no one, so let me do more here and explain why. As a State Representative and House Majority Whip, I had an opportunity to work with the governor and his team over the past four years. In so doing, I have seen Governor Deal exercise vision, tough leadership, and savvy determination to meet the needs of our state. Here are just a few examples:

It is always good politics to appear to be tough on crime; however, good policy requires you to also be smart on the issue. Governor Deal took the lead on revamping Georgia’s criminal justice system. The goal for the reforms is to distinguish between people that we are afraid of from those with whom we are merely mad at. The latter are often made up of folks who have been busted for drug related crimes. Through the expanded use of drug courts and alternative sentencing we now have a real chance at keeping a youthful mistake from becoming a first step towards a lifetime criminal profession.

In 2011, we faced a crisis in the HOPE Scholarship Program – revenue was simply not keeping up with expenditures. Governor Deal assembled a bi-partisan group of legislative leaders who included Republican Speaker Pro Tem Jan Jones and the Democratic Minority Leader Stacey Abrams to fashion a rescue plan. A Zell Miller Scholarship was set up to provide a full scholarship to our state’s top high school students (3.7 GPA or above). The HOPE scholarship for the remaining eligible students (3.0 or above) were pegged to Lottery revenue to insure its long term economic viability. Without these changes, the HOPE Scholarship would be in a precarious position now.

Governor Deal also took head on the issue of dysfunctional school boards. In 2011, he supported a bill that gives the Governor the power to step in when school board operations threaten the accreditation of school systems. He then deftly used the law in two different ways to restore confidence in two different urban school systems. In the case of the Atlanta School Board, he pursued bi-partisan monitoring that assisted the school board in restoring accreditation. In the case of the DeKalb School Board, he recognized that a tougher move was necessary and chose to remove and replace the school board all together. Once again, this move led to this school system’s being freed from its accreditation probation status.

In 2012, Governor Deal took the lead in fighting for the Constitutional Amendment approving the statewide charter school commission. This proposal faced strong opposition from the forces of the status quo and it took political courage to take on these forces. In the end, Georgia became the first state in the country to pass on its first try a constitutional amendment in favor of charter schools and we did so by a wide bi-partisan margin.

Last month, we finally began the dredging work on the Savannah harbor. Economic experts predict that it will have a potential long term economic impact in Georgia similar to the Atlanta International Airport. Putting together the necessary bi-partisan team that included Mayor Kasim Reed and others to secure the necessary funding did not just happen. It took a governor who understood the economic importance of the project, how Washington works, and how Georgia works to make it happen. It took Governor Deal.

By contrast, you may ask where was Senator Carter on these issues?   In fairness, he voted for the criminal justice reforms although he offered no meaningful input in committee or on the Senate floor. He voted against the reforms to the HOPE Scholarship arguing instead for punitive income caps for recipients – a position he has now repudiated. In the struggle to fix his own DeKalb County School Board, Senator Carter refused to stand with other bi partisan county public officials who supported the Governor’s actions. On the Constitutional Amendment for Charter Schools, he voted no. On the dredging of the Savannah Harbor, Senator Carter voted against this year’s state budget which includes the vital necessary final state funding needed to procure federal assistance.

In short, we need Governor Deal to continue working for Georgia, and I urge you to join me in voting for him on November 4th – if not before.

• MattMD says:

This. I really don’t quibble with Deal’s record as Governor, it’s just that he has little ethics when money is concerned. Yeah, sort of axiomatic but whatever.

Deal is the kind of guy mentioned in Full Metal Jacket who doesn’t have the courtesy.

1. Bill Arp says:

Edward, Since you have endorsed only one statewide candidate does that mean you are not endorsing Lt Gov Cagle, Sec. kemp, commissioner butler, richard woods, commissioner Hudgens, or commissioner Black?

• Bill Arp says:

Charlie,

What is your issue withe asking Edward if he supports the other candidates. If his opinion was so important that you post it on your blog I do not know how you could have an issue with my question. If he wants to add value he can respond. I am surprised that I have to say this to a journalist!

• uh..troll? One one hand, it seems a fair question to me. But I can sense some trollishness here because none of those other offices are going to be as competitive as the governor’s race.

Obviously OP is going to press the screen straight down for the Guys in Red, Bill. That he felt the desire to articulate and expound on the reason why his partisan choice is the right choice (other than being partisan) does not, in my opinion, require him to lay down his slate in a public manner than which is designed to remain secret – his vote. That would be trolling.

• Edward Lindsey says:

All:

1. Is Charlie right and is Bill a Troll and has he been trolling in this post? Yes.
        2. Do I care? No. In fact, I feel honored that now that I am once again a private citizen that Bill would still bother trolling me.
        3. Am I going to vote the Republican ticket in 2014? Yes. However, I reserve the right to vote for whoever I feel is the best candidate. Sorry, my Democratic friends, this year you did not nominate anyone who tempted me.
        4. Are we off topic? Absolutely. As CMCR points out, this is the most competitive state race and that is why I felt it was important to outline why I felt not just Republicans but all Georgians — including Independents and open minded Democrats — should support Governor Deal. My hope is that this post would generate a discussion as to what issues PP comentators believe should be pushing to entice voters to their side.
        5. Finally, Bill, once again, thanks. It almost chokes me up that you still care. 🙂 Now, let’s get back to the issue at hand.

• Demonbeck says:

And going further along with this line of thinking, Rep. Lindsey, you did not mention the Georgia Bulldogs in your post. Are we to assume you are pulling for Florida this weekend?

• Edward Lindsey says:

From that great Southern Humorist Lewis Grizzard: “What do you get when you cross a pig with a Florida Gator? Nothing. There are somethings a pig just will not do.” Free Gurley. Go Dawgs.

• He also didn’t mention Georgia Tech, and since he told me his father took him to Tech games to root for the other team, I’ll assume he’s pulling for the wine and cheese drinkers from Virginia this weekend. 🙂

2. Three Jack says:

Why I wouldn’t vote for Deal if he were the only candidate running:

– Asleep (literally) at the wheel 1/27 when we were snow jobbed
    – All of his ethically challenged shenanigans that will be addressed if/when he wins a 2nd term. Talk about a storm.
    – The ‘ghetto grandmother’ comment during his first run
    – Ethics reform that wasn’t
    – Tax reform that wasn’t

Georgia can do better than this. I would rather see 4 years of Carter to help galvanize a coalition of fiscal conservatives determined to elect an ethical representative of these ideals in 2018. 4 more years of Nathan Deal might very well do irreparable harm to the GOP in Georgia.

• blakeage80 says:

Three Jack, that was the conventional wisdom with Obama on ’08. I’d rather not go down that road here if we can help it. Let’s vote in Gov Deal because he has done many positive things. (education funding, sentencing reform, charter schools to name a few I like) Then, let’s concentrate in 2018 on finding someone that can move our state forward from there. Sen Carter will at least be the cause of 4 years of gridlock and at worst cause great economic harm to our state with his proposed policies.

• Three Jack says:

Sorry Blake, but the lesser of 2 evils in my opinion is Carter. And for years that has been the mantra of the GOP, vote the lesser of 2 evils including the Obama election you cite. At least with McCain 08, you knew he was an honorable man with very few if any ethical lapses.

Not saying I will vote for Carter, but he is the least likely to seek personal enrichment from public office as we know Deal does and will continue to do unabated with no more eletions after this one. High risk, no reward.

3. Bill Arp says:

I love it….I ask a man, who has just written an article supporting the Governor, if he is blindly supporting the Republican ticket and he claims I am trolling. Your right Edward, no one does care what you think now that your a private citizen. Thus writing the article supporting Deal was a complete waste of time. I knew we could agree on something!

• John Konop says:

Agree or disagree with Edward Lindsey is your right…..I will say he has the guts to debate people on blogs like this….which is way more than many office holders…..you being a jerk about it said more about you then him.

• Edward Lindsey says:

Bill: I did answer your question and even showed a little levity in doing it. The question now is, are you going to join the substantive discussion or keep whining on the sideline that Charlie and I hurt your feelings. Come on, get in the game. Who should people vote for and why?

4. HueyMahl says:

I’ve said this in the past, but it is worth repeating. Deal is a lot like Nixon. A fundamentally flawed human being with a poor (no?) ethical compass. Like Nixon, he has had some positive policy initiatives. The initial reforms of the Criminal Justice system were a (small) step in the right direction. However, the rest of your reasons are so much political spin.

On Hope, suffice it to say the crisis was created in part by Deal’s own policies and failure to lead on controlling the cost of higher education – it continues to expand at many times the rate of inflation and even higher than medical costs. Reducing hope scholarships by 80,000 and coverage from 100% to 60% is not leadership, it is presiding over a disaster.

The Savannah harbor, really? You are giving Deal credit for something everyone wanted? OK, if that is all you got.

Ditto on the charter school initiatives. Jumping on the coattails of an initiative with momentum is hardly leadership. Meanwhile Georgia continues to fall behind in public education, 4.1 Billion (with a B) was cut from education since 2011, there are thousands fewer teachers in classrooms, and 7 out of 10 school districts REDUCED the number of days of school.

Meanwhile, he has lined his pockets while in office, persecuted and had fired those investigating his ethical violations (including the ones where he lined his pockets), is the subject of multiple federal investigations, has positioned Georgia with the worst unemployment in the nation, and can’t seem to be able to read a weather report.

Respectfully, Mr. Lindsey – you have low standards.

• Edward Lindsey says:

HM:

1. The crisis on the HOPE Scholarship was handled in the first three months of Deal’s tenure as Governor. Therefore, you can hardly blame him for the cause of it. That said, you raise a good point. Higher Education costs are far outpacing just about every other area of our economy. But that is not just a Georgia phenomenon. It is nationwide and we need to start getting control over it. However, that is a post — or several posts — for another day. CNN did a great documentary on it a while back that is well worth watching as a starting point for anyone interested.
      2. Savannah Harbor? Yes. I give Deal credit for putting together the needed team to get that porject going. As anyone who watched the back and forth on this project over the past 15 years knows, there was a lot of moving parts to this effort and Deal used his knowledge of state and federal government to get all the right parts in place. He deserves a great deal of credit.
      3. The Charter School Amendment? I think, once again, you are over simplifying the what took place. It was an extremely hard fought battle both in the General Assembly and in the fall election to get it passed. I dare you to find anyone who was involved in this effort to say that Governor Deal was not an integral part of its passage.
      4. Cuts in education? Your numbers are actually wrong. Governor Deal increased K-12 spending every year since he came into office. What you are referring to is the gap between QBE formula and spending — for which there has always been a gap ever since it was first put into place. Also, keep in mind that we are still weathering the after effects of a very tough Great Recession. Every state in the nation — except for the few that have a lot oil — have faces steep budget declines since 2008. Georgia has done better than most and presently spends more on K-12 education as a percentage of our budget than we have in over 50 years. All that said, I will agree with you that we still have a long way to go on public education.

Finally, tell me where Senator Carter will do better? What programs will he put in place? Ho9w will he pay for them? I have known Jason for 4 years and sincerely like him. However, he and his allies have been awfully short on specifics in terms of what he has done and what he will do. Here and now is your chance to correct that.

Let’s move beyond name calling and generalities. I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

• Edward Lindsey says:

David:

We have passed 3 ethics bills in Deal’s administration which have expanded both reporting requirements and limited spending. Deal has proposed expanding the Ethics Commission to have 4 members selected by each branch of government. Since individuals in all 3 branches of government are subject to the ethics commission, this will allow commissioners who have not been appointed by the branch under investigation to hear a complaint.

That said, there is always more that should be done. What has Carter suggested? What would you suggest?

• HueyMahl says:

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I assume the reference to name calling is the discussion about ethics. I find ethics to be at the very top of the list when I vote for someone – I cannot and will not agree on every policy, but I have to trust to person to act in the best interest of the state, not his own best interests, and that is where Governor Deal woefully fails.

Senator Carter’s polices would be more progressive than that of Deal. They would tend to address real issues facing the electorate, not just theoretical issues or issues that best help his donors.

In no particular order, here are the proposals I find the most interesting and positive:

1. Accept federal money to expand medicaid in connection with the ACA. Governor Deal’s refusal to accept 100s of millions in Federal funds, money already paid by Georgia taxpayers, was both spiteful and cruel. Spiteful in that it was a politically motivated to harm national democratic interests, and cruel in that it prevents Georgians from obtaining medical care. Add on the depressive effect of refusing this money (which would have acted as an economic stimulant) and Governor Deal’s policy here is a complete failure.

2. Add funding back into the Education system. The reduction in HOPE Scholarship funds, the failure to increase Pre-K education adequately, and the increase in tuition costs are all items that will be addressed by a Governor Carter.

3. Moderation of Republican influences. I abide by the old axiom, “power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely”. No party should have complete control over the levers of power. We need a balancing influence on the excesses brought on by over a decade of complete Republican control.

4. Various freedom and constitutional issues:

a. insuring the freedom to vote. Deal has backed repeated and increasingly harsh voter restrictions all in the name of preventing “voter fraud” that rarest of beasts – the jackalope of crime. Really just a mechanism to suppress the vote of people likely not not vote for you.
        b. promoting individual liberty. I really want the government out of my bedroom – Deal still favors government intrusion into personal liberty issues (biggest example of which is gay marriage).
        c. Getting corporate influence out of politics. May be impossible with the current supreme court, but it is a battle worth fighting.
        d. Putting ethical leaders back in charge of state agencies. Too long to get into here, but Deal has put incompetent old-boy-network buddies at the heads of agencies ranging from the Ga Lottery to the Georgia National Guard.

5. Increasing incentives for green energy – Georgia is ranks an “F” in green energy – given the amount of sun we receive each year, we should be a leader. This is largely a result of the Southern Company lobbying to protect their monopoly and republicans having an irrational fear of anything “green”. See also getting corporate money out of politics.

• Edward Lindsey says:

HM:

Good substantive points. (I was actually not referring to you in regards to the name calling. We have another poster today that seems to be clinging to that role.) Ethics in government is always important. Let me try and respond to some of your other points:

1. The problem with simply increasing the roles of our medicaid patients is that we already have an overburdened medicaid system with too many doctors refusing medicaid patients. To simply add to the roles will only injure those who are already in the system. We need to find new solutions for treating the poor. I favor Rep. Price’s bill but am willing to consider others.

2. We did not reduce HOPE funds. Keep in mind that HOPE is dependent on Lottery funds. We simply made sure that HOPE would live within its means. As to Pre-K, the primary issue at present is to improve the curriculum to insure that it is more than a day care center. Governor Deal has taken steps to improve this. As to controlling tuition costs, we agree but you have not given me any detail as to how he will do so. Also, keep in mind that tuition is set by the Board of Regents which is constitutionally protected in this state.

3. The Republican Party is a conservative party. No apologies for that. However, I agree that my party — as well as yours — has a duty to show how its principles can take on real world problems we face. That is the reason we are having this lively discussion.

4. I believe in the right to vote — as does my party. You alluded to alleged voter suppression. I suggest you read the opinion from Judge Murphy several years ago (2007). Democratic Party lawyers — including Governor Barnres and Senator Carter’s law partner Emmett Bondarant — specifically chose to file suit against Georgia’s voting laws in his jurisdiction to get Judge Murphy as their judge. Judge Murphy after hearing exhaustive testimony found no evidence of voter suppression. https://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=91325.

5. In addition, I would point out that it was the Republican General Assembly that passed redistricting maps that were approved by the Obama Justice Department as being in conformance with the 1965 Voting Rights Act. In comparison, the maps passed by the Democrats in 2001 were found to have violated one person one vote.

6. We will generally have to agree to disagree on some social issues but generally I do not want anyone else in my bedroom either. However, I do want to protect innocent life.

7. Cronies in key positions: You mentioned both the Lottery and the National Guard. Both of these operations are generally ranked very highly nationwide.

8. Corporate influence out of politics: I would like to do that as well — especially the New York Times and the AJC. However, there is that pesky 1st Amendment.

9. More Green Energy Alternatives: At last, something I can agree with you on — as long as you include Nuclear Power.

Good discussion.

• HueyMahl says:

Thank you Mr. Lindsey. I appreciate your positions. And as one who has voted Republican most of his life, I have held some of them when I was younger.

BTW, we agree on Nuclear. Waste is an issue, but it is truly a green technology, and the only one other than hydro-electric that is currently viable to provide system-wide base load.

5. Bill Arp says:

Ol Buckhead Ed, getting a bit feisty when he cannot handle a little criticism. If you start a fire you should not claim it’s to hot. I just took you for a person that would deliberately consider people based upon there character, policy concerns, and moral compass. To think that you only consider their party affiliation confirms why I voted for Loudermilk. We need politicians that will do the right thing regardless of the party’s positions. That is exactly why our Congress is hated so much now. To condemn a Democrats policy position without consideration is exactly like passing a bill without reading it. (And we all know what you think about that)

In a perfect world you would have no parties, just people elected on the manner in which their views reflect their community. Edward, although I believe you have drank the Kool Aid, it may be a good idea that you check the ingredients…..you may not know what’s in that stuff!

6. Edward Lindsey says:

Bill:

1. I will leave to others to determine which one of us has been a little prickly, defensive, and overly personal in their criticism. Suffice to say that I have answered your barbs and the substantive issues raised by others. That is why I posted today and have responded — in my own name.

2. Where have I condemned a Democratic policy — or any policy — without reading it? Please give me an example?

• blakeage80 says:

Wait. This is the same paper that photoshopped Jody Hice in front of the ‘our horsemen of the apocalypse’. Hardly a reliable, unbiased source. They regularly do unwarranted hit pieces on right leaning politicians. If hit pieces were bullets, Paul Broun would be riddled with lead.

Although, I did have to wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes when I saw the Jody Hice pic. No one can say Blake Aued (Editor) doesn’t have a sense of humor.

• Three Jack says:

As Edward Lindsey is a “reliable, unbiased source”.

No matter the source of the column, it is a factual reminder of who Mr. Lindsey, Karen Handel and other GOPers are endorsing.

Can you factually dispute anything Mr. Long included in the column?

• blakeage80 says:

Can you find any actual charges against the Governor? If Nathan Deal has done anything worthy of indictment, why hasn’t he been brought up on charges? What better thing to do in an election year than to present actual evidence that would have your opponent in a courtroom instead of on the campaign trail? This is all part of a nationwide smear campaign put on by the Democrats. http://www.redstate.com/2014/08/19/lawfare-when-screaming-racism-war-on-women-and-impeachment-are-not-enough/
          Don’t buy it.

• Three Jack says:

I’m sure the halo over the governor’s head is strongly in place as there is no way he ever took advantage of no bid contracts, fired ethics investigators about to issue subpoenas, or high-tailed it out of DC before indictments could be handed down. And how dare anybody question his campaign finances and crony appointments, it’s all just a big ol liberal attack on the innocent governor.

• Cowabunga says:

Blake, no offense, but you’re really naive. Even Karen Handel will verify the allegations she made in 2010, which were based on the OCE report. If course, that’s old news. But how do you reconcile his actions with the tax commissioner, Bart Graham and the subsequent terminations at the ethics office?

I find it hilarious that Lindsey ignores all of that.

The only thing anyone can hammer Carter on is his inexperience. Deal is a cancer in the GOP. If you support perpetual corruption and crony capitalism vote Deal.

• Dave Bearse says:

I appreciate the link—I didn’t realize it was Deal bud Casey Cagle that had set up Bart Graham. It sheds a new light (for me at least) on Cagle dropping out of the Gov race in 2010, and bodes well for Cagle for Gov in 2018 should Deal be re-elected, what with four years to set it up.

7. Edward Lindsey says:

Three Jacks:

I am a lawyer and I believe that someone is innocent until proven guilty — even elected officials. I respect your concerns but this Governor has been investigated and to date there has been no substantive findings against him — or even charges against him. You are arguing where there is smoke there is fire; however, sometimes smoke is mistaken for fog.

Can we at least agree that people of good faith can disagree on this? I hope so.

• Three Jack says:

Ed,

I’m not a lawyer and believe in the same as you. But the only reason Deal has yet to be indicted is his uncanny ability to escape certain situations before he can be indicted. Whether it be his resignation and fast exit from DC or firing ethics commission staff as they investigated him, Deal is a master of avoiding prosecution. I don’t count these attributes as positives toward his re-election hopes.

You can support whoever you want, I don’t hold that against you or anybody else. But as a longtime Republican, I decided a few years back that I could no longer overlook the many ethical lapses (putting it mildly) taking place since the GOP took control in GA. If Republicans continue to ignore such lapses, eventually it will result in loss of power and a return to dem control.

Lastly, I also appreciate you as a former elected official debating on this blog. You, Buzz and the few others willing to do so should be the model for all elected officials when it comes to conversing with voters.

8. Edward Lindsey says:

All:

I have enjoyed it — even if I did hurt Bill’s feelings a bit. (I am sure that he will recover.) However, I need to sign off. Continue the discussion without me and I look forward to doing it again sometime. Later.

Edward

p.s. Vote November 4th!

9. Harry says:

The aforementioned is an undertaking or calling of the Gov. Deal administration that as far as I know has received little if any public appreciation or support from Democrats. I’d like to know if Jason Carter has said one positive word. It ought to gain bipartisan support. I believe I understand why Democrats should support it in theory. After all, it’s mostly their putative base who would be most positively impacted. I know the Atlanta Progressive News has been supportive, but why hasn’t the Democratic party opened up to cooperate with the governor and talk this up in bipartisan fashion?

You know me as an alternative or conspiracy theorist, and I do have a couple theories why Dems in general and Jason Carter have looked the other way instead of taking the opportunity to make a common cause with Deal in Kasim Reed style, to move this. I won’t bore you with my thoughts here, but just let your imagination run a little wild. There may be more to it than just perceived political expediency.

Some of you may be asking why would “racist” Republicans support a justice reform initiative. The obvious pragmatic answer is to save funds and reduce a state overgrown bureaucracy. But of course there’s more. It’s immoral to cage people like animals and expect them to be rehabilitated. Even people whose job it is to lock people up understand it.

Many of the prisoner population who have just committed self-harmful acts like drug use, and youthful petty theft offenders, should be paroled and required to attend 12-step groups etc. Of course, those who put others in danger should remain behind bars but the rehabilitative efforts should be refocused. As an example, all but the most dangerous prisoners should be put out on self-sufficient low-security farms in isolated areas, where they be required to work hard every day to provide as much of their own sustenance as possible – including cutting wood for heat and growing food. To achieve results they have to cooperate with other prisoners under direction of experienced trained and vetted guards. Work is the greatest rehabilitation. They can earn credit for results, and “cooperate and graduate”. The way we’re doing it is all wrong and too expensive.

Why do Democrats always go for what they perceive to be the politically correct status quo and not look at real world solutions? We see the same pattern over and over in education, health care, pensions, agriculture, trade policy, you name it. Don’t rock the boat baby, is their motto. And some Republicans are seemingly brain-dead as well.

10. Dave Bearse says:

Indeed, Deal had it tough this past Spring leading the Senate to initially pass criminal justice reform in SB365 what with McKoon’s one dissenting vote in the initial Seante vote, the House with two dissenting votes, and then a unanimous Senate vote.

Naming Deal the critical element for Savannah dredging is like attributing the fall of the Soviet Union to St. Ronnie. Deal and Reagan deserve credit, but many others over a long period of time that were critical to success.

• Harry says:

SB365 is a necessary but not sufficient first step. Jason Carter is a candy man, pretty boy who spouts inane talking points but did/does nothing creative or risky to advance bipartisan legislation. As a member of the minority he needed to demonstrate the ability to work to advance bipartisan initiatives, or at least use sound proposals to set out his policy goals.

• Dave Bearse says:

Except that SB365 wasn’t the first but a third step, HB1176 in 2012 and HB347 in 2013 being prior steps.

• Edward Lindsey says:

I do not think you can look to House and Senate votes as a determining factor in how tough it is to get legislation passed. Dave is right that criminal justice reform has been and will continue to be an on going process. While the bills passed have enjoyed wide bi-partisan support in their final votes, each involved hundreds if not thousands of hours of efforts by the Governor’s office, legislators, various executive departments, and outside parties.

The recently passed juvenile justice reform bill is a good example of my point. While the final vote on the bill was overwelming, it two sessions of negotiations to work out the details and achieve final passage.

11. Will Durant says:

Mark my words. Someday “We have never been indicted” will rank as high in Georgia political lore as “I am not a Crook” ranks in Washington’s.