Michelle Nunn Gets The Alison Lundergan Grimes Treatment

A tracker for the group America Rising asked Michelle Nunn if she voted for President Obama. Here’s what happened:

To be fair, it’s not clear that Nunn has ever answered a question from a tracker, but the question is now out there and one would think would be easy to answer. Another Democratic Senate hopeful Alison Lundargan Grimes of Kentucky was asked if she voted for President Obama, refused to say and now it’s turned into a big deal. We’ll see in the coming days if Michelle Nunn handles this better than Grimes.

For the record, in 2008 I voted for John McCain and in 2012 I voted for Mitt Romney.

H/T: Weekly Standard.

1. Jon Richards says:

Keep in mind the difference between the Grimes situation and what happened to Nunn. Grimes was asked the question in an interview with a newspaper editorial board, and again at a debate with Mitch McConnell. Nunn was asked by a tracker who ambushed her.

2. Michael Silver says:

Michelle is Democrat royalty. She comes from a long line of Democrats. She’s voted in the Democrat primary everytime.

There is only one reason why she won’t say who she voted for …. She voted Republican and we should too.

3. WeymanCWannamakerJr says:

Perhaps a Democrat tracker should ask Perdue if he even voted. Sorry, forgot that even suspected Democrat trackers get manhandled and arrested.

• benevolus says:

As long as we require simplistic answers to complicated questions, we are likely to keep getting simplistic leaders. I mean really, how would she have voted then? How would she vote today? What difference does it make anyway? The point is, what does she think about it, and those answers are readily available for anyone who really wants to know.

NUNN: I think it’s impossible to look back retrospectively and say, “What would you have done if you were there?” Because I wasn’t there, and we now have hindsight. What I can do is say: Here’s where we are today, and here’s what we should do, which is move forward.
        {In other words, it’s a stupid question.}
        —-
        “So I think we need to add a more affordable tier of insurance for individuals and families who have high premiums.”

“I think we need to add a tax credit for small businesses. And I also think we need to repeal the cuts to rural hospitals as a result of our state not expanding Medicaid.”

HUNT: So do you think it should be repealed?
        NUNN: I do not.

• TheEiger says:

It’s a very simple question that tells quite a bit about her thoughts on the governments role in health care. I would like to know how she would have voted on it. Sometimes the simple solution or answer is the best solution or answer.

• tribeca says:

No, you want a simple answer so you can make broad categorical judgements based on that answer. Healthcare (and nearly every major issue in this election) is highly nuanced and shouldn’t be boiled down to simplistic yes/no questions.

I think a contributing factor to the gridlock we’re seeing today is the electorate’s prioritization of soundbites and “hot takes” over nuance, reason, and cogent discussion. Look at Ted Cruz for example. Dude was a Supreme Court clerk, we all know he’s intelligent and capable of functioning like a reasonable individual. Instead he just spews diatribe all day because he knows that what will get him press attention, which turns into campaign dollars, and ultimately turns into votes.

As the Truckers said:
            “Only simple men can see the logic in whatever
            smarter men can whittle down till you can fit it on a sticker
            Get it stuck like mud and bugs to names that set the standard,
            They’ll live it like it’s gospel and they’ll quote it like it’s scripture.”

• TheEiger says:

You are seriously quoting the Drive by Truckers to make a point?

“In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing” TR

Michelle Nunn has taken the do nothing route by refusing to answer very simple questions.

• tribeca says:

and Perdue, Deal, Carter, et al have been equally reluctant to actually discuss substantive policy points. It’s a result of our soundbite culture and Nunn shouldn’t be singled out as if she’s some exception.

• TheEiger says:

I didn’t write this post. Take that up with Buzz. I was just commenting on the topic at hand. Nunn’s failure to answer who she voted for and her failure to answer other simple questions.

• Blake says:

She gave a thoughtful answer to the healthcare question, as benevolus pointed out. The fact you don’t like it is your problem.

Particularly when she answered no when asked if she thought it should be repealed. Is that answer not simple enough for you?

And if I were a candidate, I wouldn’t answer questions from hostile trackers either.

• TheEiger says:

Politicians are asked if they would have voted for things all of the time. Republicans that were not in office prior to 2005 often are asked if they would have voted for Medicare Part D or for authorization for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It’s simple. Yes or no. What is she trying to hide by being wishy washy? Saying that she wouldn’t vote to repeal it because there isn’t anything better isn’t the question. The ones that don’t answer are cowards. Nunn is a coward.

4. ricstewart says:

Reminds me of a joke from A Prairie Home Companion a few years back: “People say Democrats don’t stand for anything. That’s not true, they do stand for anything.”

5. What if she did vote for Obama?
    ya’ll act like this is some shameful act for a long time D to vote for a D POTUS.

It is a moot question; a diversionary tactic that emanates the smell of desperation.

Here is the way I see Georgia Politics 101 – The R’s want to do some stupid things in the name of an imaginary friend that turn back to some fictitious good old days or freeze the clock. They are regressive

D’s and I’s and everyone else, just kind of stands to the side, watching the endless clown parade. They don’t like the direction ‘backwards’, so they are considered ‘progressive’. So you either join the regressives, or you have no choice but to vote against the perceived insanity even if they are only a little less insane.

Lost in this are issues. I have no friggin clue what either the Senate or Governor candidates stand for, other than party line platitudes. And this ‘tracker’ incident will further cement the lips of the candidates other than their bullet point BS.

Can someone help me find some real solutions other than blocking anything to do with Obama? Because that is not an issue, that is a pandering tactic.

Jason? Nathan? Michelle? What’s his name?

Buheller?

6. Max Power says:

Here’s how she should have answered:

You want to know how I voted, I will tell you. I voted against the candidate who like David Perdue wants to cut education spending to Georgia students, I voted against the candidate who like David Perdue wants to keep Georgia women from suing for equal pay, and I voted against the candidate who like David Perdue who wants to gut Social Security and Medicare to pay for unneeded tax cuts.

Simple answer that can’t be used in a sound bite.

• TheEiger says:

Yes, this is the perfect answer. David has his flaws and this points them all out. I’m glad she wasn’t smart enough to say it.

7. northside101 says:

Yeah, that David Perdue is some radical—why, of all things, he wants to eliminate the US Department of Education, which somehow this country survived without for 200 years—until for some reason, Jimmy Carter decided when he was president that we needed one (payoff to teachers’ unions, maybe?) Never have found where in the Constitution “education” is mentioned—I thought that was a function of states and localities. I’m not sure what is meant by “gutting” Social Security and Medicare, but I’m sure there are more than a few voters (like me) who would like to invest at least some of the “contributions” (?) we make to Social Security and put it into our own private accounts. But LOL on that I know as the big government Pelosi and Reed crowd want to keep as many people as possible dependent on government. As for “unneeded” tax cuts, well whose money is it anyway—ours or the government’s?

8. rightofcenter says:

The correct answer is that it all belongs to the government. We only get to keep what they don’t need. If you don’t like this philosophy, chances are you will be voting for Deal and Perdue.