Senator Saxby Chambliss As Next Attorney General?

Anything is possible, but an article over at the Politico posits the idea of Democratic President Barack Obama appointing a Republican as the next federal attorney general. The article mainly talks about Ted Olsen, but mentions outgoing senior Senator Saxby Chambliss as a good choice for the post.

The cries of Senator Chambliss as being a sellout, fake Republican #RINO would probably be shouted from every corner of the state. I’d be interested to see how he would do in such a post (or any Republican, for that matter, appointed by the President). I doubt that this would happen, but stranger things have happened in our political climate.

1. Noway says:

The prestige of such an assignment might be too much to resist. William Cohen was DoD chief for Clinton, so why not?

2. John Konop says:

The Ted Olson move would be for Hillary and the Dems…It would be to create a civil war on 2 key issues gay marriage and immigration in the GOP….As many know Ted was the lawyer and lead advocate on gay marriage in our country for years… Also a big voice for immigration reform…..Saxby in my opinion would not be in the mix….not about being inclusive this is about politics in my opinion….

3. FranInAtlanta says:

Am one of those non-noisy Atlanta Republicans who thought Saxby Chambliss did a good job as our Senator (and there are many of us). I do not see him as AG. Ted Olson would be more to Obama’s liking, but I am not sure I see him either.

• Jon Lester says:

I guess we score by different criteria. Foreign policy has not improved in the last 12 years, and our freedoms have not expanded, so there are my two big reasons why I wouldn’t want Zaxby as AG. Considering how close he is to DiFi on those matters, I wouldn’t trust him to protect Second Amendment rights, either.

4. Dave Bearse says:

We saw the treatment given Hagel.

The national GOP as currently configured is incapable of governing. Fun times in the event the GOP takes control of the Senate.

• Dave Bearse says:

I very much doubt you’ll see Senate Democrats ridicule one of their former members appointed to a cabinet post by a GOP President.

In event of a GOP Senate, Obama will be taking a cue from the GOP. Just say no. The voters will sort it out in 2016.

5. seenbetrdayz says:

Well, AG is a position where he’d be unlikely to be able to support a Wall Street Bailout, so I’d have to say all things considered it would be good for him to be in a position where he has to work within a budget rather than set the budget.