Morning Reads for Friday, September 12, 2014

Here:
Shop local. Right.
– Regents run for the money tree.
– The Old Farmer’s Almanac has a better track record, so bundle up, peeps.
– Catepillar already making a difference in GA.
– Evidently the Atlanta Department of Watershed Management has already absconded with the money the Regents are looking for…

There:
Despicable.
– Oh no, the IRS isn’t targeting anybody…
– Will Scotland really do it?
– What happens when you call the wrong number for advice.

Random Everywhere:
– The Dark Lord speaks.
– Now here’s a new word for you, “clerisy.”
Ka-blooey!
Rage against the machine, or something.

Open Thread:

• Noway says:

Thanks for that link, x. This is one of the issues that would see me spitting nails in fury if I could. The cops have not right whatsoever to seize money from any-freaking-one if they have no probably cause that a crime has been committed or from anyone who has not been lawfully convicted. The article mentioned turning the cops into Robin Hoods. Better term is Robbing Hoods. They are little more than uniformed thieves in this area of their work. And I’m a former fed, so I’ve go the background to make this statement. I don’t give a rat’s a$$ if a person has a million in cash on his person when stopped. If you don’t have probable cause, he walks with his cash. If he’s not legally convicted of a crime, he walks with his cash. Don’t give me the “assumption” or “war on drugs” that it is ill gotten. That’s crap! I know the Supremes have upheld the practice but I’d like to see Congress re-write that statute into oblivion. Want the dough, catch them doing something illegal first! This practice is hideous!

1. blakeage80 says:

So they hired a firm from MD to build the stadium. The rest of the article, I assume, was for the benefit of Tech grads whose Atlanta firms they did not hire. Has the quality of education dropped over there on North Ave.?

• blakeage80 says:

Sorry, as a UGA grad, I can’t resist. Also, the very technical paragraph in the middle of the story was funny to me.

2. Will Durant says:

The Military Industrial Complex Corporations should build a monument to Dick Cheney. I would even contribute if his statue would have him in in the robes of a Sith Lord.

• Harry says:

You have to ask, who was responsible for this situation. Both parties equally including the supposedly pro-union Democrats who are actually doing the bidding of the elites.

• benevolus says:

I agree, it’s not really political. It’s inevitable. Unless we are going to go all isolationist then our standard of living is going to have to find some equilibrium with the far east and anywhere else that can make the stuff we want.

• Harry says:

We have gone much to far in the direction of being taken advantage of by every Tom, Harry and Dick. Americans are lousy strategists and negotiators but we do enjoy quite a bit of blind luck, so far.