Of Lousy Lists In Search Of New Voters and Sunday Voting.

008Yesterday in the mail we received a voter registration form addressed to a person who has never lived in our house. I know this person never lived here because the name was of a woman my wife did some work for. She traveled internationally and needed bookkeeping help and a place for mail to be sent. Thus for a period of time letters addressed to her arrived at our house. However, it’s been at least five years since this took place as she now lives in California. She never lived in Georgia. How this group obtained her name and associated it with our address is puzzling to me.

According to Georgia Pundit, the Voter Participation Project has sent out about 12 million such forms including one to a 14 year girl here in Georgia….and now a California woman my wife did some work for several years ago. If I were one of the people financing the Voter Participation Project, I’d be asking for my money back because there seem to be wasting a whole lot of it. In fact, they have a link on their website for people who received an erroneous voter registration form.

This makes me glad Georgia has a voter ID law. Imagine if these voter registration forms fell into the hands of people less honest than me and the parents of that 14 year old girl. We could have a real problem on our hands.

Now before the Left Wing Twitterati springs into action to claim I want to keep people from registering to vote, let me say as a former GOP County Party Chairman and campaign manager, I’ve helped hundreds, perhaps thousands of people register to vote. I’ve organized voter registration drives and every campaign I managed took time to register people to vote as we campaigned. Furthermore, Georgia’s new online voter registration system was part of a bill I introduced and pushed through the Legislature to completion. The truth is, Georgia Republicans have made it very easy to register to vote.

Which leads me to a related issue: the brouhaha over DeKalb county’s announcement that they will open advanced in person voting locations on Sunday seems overblown to me. Georgia allows three weeks of advanced in person voting and mandates one Saturday. If DeKalb wants to pay it’s employees overtime to open on a Sunday that’s fine with me – just make sure all DeKalb residents have access to the early voting locations (which I think was Sen. Millar’s original concern).

I’d like to see high turnout GOP strongholds like Cherokee and Forsyth follow suit. Elections are as much about getting your supporters to the polls as persuading the undecideds, so why not use every legal tool in your toolbox to help your team win? The Democrats sure seem willing to use those tools to try to win. Do the Republicans want to win just as much?

• As you get closer to the registration deadline, local elections offices are swamped with registration forms. Now you have this group sending out registration forms to people who aren’t old enough or even live in the state. It’s not hard to imagine some ineligible voter registrations are added to the database as elections officials try to keep up with the volume. Thus if we didn’t have voter ID the possibility of fraud would exist.

• MattMD says:

Don’t you think you are beating a dead horse? We have the voter ID law. It’s probably done nothing since I’m under the impression that more fraud is committed via absentee. Do you really think a 14 y.o. would be able to just walk into a polling place and vote, even in the the pre-ID days?

1. Dave Bearse says:

“Imagine if these voter registration forms fell into the hands of people less honest than me and the parents of that 14 year old girl.”

Buzz, your much higher standards allow a lot of room between “less honest than me” and us worrying about anyone less honest than you or the parents of a 14 year old girl.

2. Buzz I just wanted to commend you for being the first elected Republican I’ve read a comment from whose (correct) response to the Sunday voting is “let’s do more of this in Republican areas”.

3. Trey A. says:

Thank you Chris (and Buzz).

Bottom line: The only people who vote are those that understand the rules and actually want to vote. Sunday voting and easier registration only make it easier for those who want to vote to actually vote.

I spent weeks trying to coerce/guilt my co-workers to vote in the primary runoff this summer. Come election day, I owned the only “Georgia Voter” sticker in my (small) office.

4. benevolus says:

So let me get this straight, photo ID is supposed to cover for a faulty registration process? So if the Secretary of State’s office can’t properly vet registrations, we’re going to leave it up to volunteer retired folks with zero training in ID matching?
    I mean, if the Secretary of State’s office gets swamped before elections, imagine what it’s like at the precincts!

I have an idea, let’s just forget about registrations and let the poll workers determine whether someone can vote or not.

Another case of not addressing the problem where it exists.

5. objective says:

lousy lists, indeed. i’d expect your old mailbox mate is also pre-qualified for a number of shoddy credit cards.
    but the odds of someone trying to fraudulently obtain a credit card is astronomically higher than the odds of someone fraudulently registering to vote.
    what so many fail to remember is why ppl commit fraud.
    (and my experience in criminal law gives me some insight into this)
    ppl commit fraud for one reason – personal benefit. in cash form, preferably.
    fraudulent voter registration, or even fraudulent voting, offers nothing.
    the risk to an individual is far too high relative to the selfish benefits they can procure with one vote.
    so only the severely confused (not even intending fraud) or misguided (anarchist a la The Joker) to even attempt to commit individual voter fraud.
    the real risk of voter fraud imo? still hackers and The Manchurian Corporation. the only folks with real power to change the #s.

• Harry says:

Voter registration drives are a good thing not a bad thing no matter the target population. Individuals have little incentive to commit voter fraud, but parties and politicians do. If a voter name is on the voter rolls but didn’t vote on election day and nobody’s watching and there are no other controls as the polls are closing, there’s the incentive to commit fraud by inserting ballots or electronic votes, or play with the software.

6. objective says:

so poll workers pose the greatest risk?
    i agree they have better access to commit fraud.
    but that never seems to be the justification behind voter ID or other controls, which would do nothing for this type of fraud.
    your latter example is definitely hacking, but i think the greater hacking risk comes from someone infiltrating county election offices and fudging the returns to the SoS.

7. Buzz got some junk mail? How horrible.

Notnews.

Here’s another fun fact: Anyone can get a voter registration form… fill it out how they like… and submit it. Perhaps if this somehow went around the actual registration process, this wouldn’t be considered crying wolf. Or just crying.

8. Will Durant says:

Your kick is not with the Voter Participation Project but with the company they purchased the mailing list from.