Medical Cannabis Study Committee meeting on Aug. 27

August 26, 2014 11:45 am

by Joash Thomas · 19 comments

The Georgia Medical Cannabis Study Committee will be having its inaugural meeting at the Georgia State Capitol in Atlanta tomorrow (August 27th). This committee, officially titled, “Study Committee on Prescription Medical Cannabis for Serious Medical Conditions” is a joint committee comprising of four House and Senate members respectively, namely;

Co-Chairs: Sen. Renee Unterman, 45th & Rep. Alan Peake, 141st
Sen. Dean Burke, 11th
Sen. Butch Miller, 49th
Sen. Curt Thompson, 5th
Rep. Micah Gravley, 67th
Rep. Rich Golick, 40th
Rep. Margaret Kaiser, 59th

The committee meeting will run from 1 pm – 3 pm, and will be held in Room 341 of the Georgia State Capitol, 206 Washington St SW Atlanta, GA 30334. The Agenda of this meeting is titled, “Overview of Medical Marijuana laws”.

James Bell, Georgia C.A.R.E (Campaign for Access Reform and Education) Director is expected to testify before this committee.

Other meeting dates scheduled are as follows:
Wednesday, September 10: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., Mercer University
Wednesday, October 1: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., Georgia Gwinnett College
Wednesday, October 22: 1:00p.m. – 3:00 p.m., Georgia Regents University
Wednesday, November 12: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., Georgia State Capitol

P.S: I never imagined that my first topical post on Peach Pundit would be on marijuana but I am told it is for a good cause.

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

greencracker August 26, 2014 at 4:16 pm

All headlines & leads about a “joint” committee, harshed mellows, reefer gladness or high hopes will be deleted.

saltycracker August 26, 2014 at 4:30 pm

A toke…n threat !
When will the lobbyists sponsor a committee meeting at The Cloisters ?

Joash Thomas August 26, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Exactly why I left the word “joint” out.

Harry August 27, 2014 at 12:16 am

Protesters will be stoned.

xdog August 27, 2014 at 7:14 am

Buzz should be on the committee.

Joash Thomas August 28, 2014 at 9:29 am

Agreed.

John Konop August 27, 2014 at 7:56 am

Jokes aside this is a very serious issue for many…..I have a loved one with esophagus cancer, maurajana is a tremdous help with helping her eat….it is the only thing that really helps….should we ban laughing gas for people getting thier molers removed? Should we ban codeine for treating pain after surgery……this should of already passed….it is on your hands the people who suffer based on office holders playing politics….hope you can sleep at night….

Joash Thomas August 27, 2014 at 9:14 am

I cannot agree with you more John.

John Konop August 27, 2014 at 10:43 am

I am fairly sure Mike and Scott would be for the reform(live in Cherokee know them both)….I am guessing your boss would be on the right side as well….keep up the fight!

Joash Thomas August 28, 2014 at 9:24 am

While I cannot officially speak on behalf of Michael or Scot anymore, I can say with full confidence that they are both great people who are completely on board with getting this measure passed. I can however tell you in my official capacity that State Rep. Timothy Barr is definitely in favor of this. Here’s to hoping that we actually get this passed next session!

saltycracker August 27, 2014 at 8:20 pm

It is a joke with a hidden agenda when legalizing cannabis is a circus and the extent is limited medical use.
There is sufficient information for a learned committee to put their heads together and draft legislation to control it, tax it and fund health issues. Unfortunately we have a lot of public jobs dedicated to this part of the drug war and a lot of support from the self-serving for keeping it illegal.

Meanwhile let’s beef up patrols in the poor sections and kick some ass.

Joash Thomas August 28, 2014 at 9:29 am

I have to agree with you on that. While I personally believe that the current measures being discussed do not go far enough, I believe that this is definitely a pragmatic step in the right direction. I expect Cannabis to be used for medical purposes all across the board in the coming future. However, starting with “the children” is definitely the first step because we still have a good number of people in the state who are only now starting to educate themselves and put aside any pre-conceived notions of the medicinal value of cannabis.

bdougsiyeh1 August 27, 2014 at 9:46 am

We need leadership that will fast track the legalization of medical marijuana for the Georgia families that need it the most.
Joash, you have a better understanding than I do of th inner-workings of the processes involved with this kind of initiative. In your opinion, do you think there is more that we could be doing to get the ball rolling? There has been so much talk about this as of recently, but evidently it hasn’t produced any results.

P.S. I’m looking forward to your future posts!

Joash Thomas August 28, 2014 at 9:21 am

Bileh! So good to see you here buddy. From what I understand, the main reason the bill failed from passing this Spring was because of Internal Politics between the House and the Senate with mostly the Senate leadership to blame for not putting the bill on the floor for a vote on Sine Die. In my personal opinion, the best way to go about getting CBD legalized for medical purposes is to go about building political consensus for this measure from now until session next Spring (both on the House and Senate side). House members who are advocating this measure should not just blindly expect the Senate to play along without this consensus building process already have taken place behind the scenes.

Also, while I would have personally loved to see this measure extended to adults across the board, I believe that starting with the children is definitely the first necessary step we need to take towards eventually decriminalizing non violent drug offenses in Georgia. This is definitely the first pragmatic step in the right direction for Georgia. I look forward to seeing more of your comments and perspectives around here Sir!

John Konop August 28, 2014 at 9:54 am

To your point:

……..State Senator Unterman admits she’s holding medical marijuana bill hostage……

……..Parents told Geary that Unterman has said she’s holding the bill hostage until the House takes action on her bills, and she didn’t deny it when Geary asked.

“Are you holding this medical marijuana bill hostage because of the what the House is doing?” Geary asked.

“Well, always when we get to the last 10 days of the session there’s a lot of bills held hostage. I have worked on the autism bill and it has not had a hearing in the House,” Unterman said…..

This is just flat out wrong!

Joash Thomas August 28, 2014 at 10:09 am

I was trying really hard not to take any names but yes, most people hold Senator Unterman responsible. It will be very interesting to see Senator Unterman and State Representative Co-Chair this committee together. Especially given their recent history.

John Konop August 28, 2014 at 10:11 am

I knew you were being nice…..we all can tell you are a smart guy…I was willing to be the bad guy….BTW you are a great addition to the front page, keep it up!

One more thing it is even more disappointing via her being a nurse….talk to any hospice nurse about this issue….

Joash Thomas August 28, 2014 at 10:20 am

Thank you Sir. I appreciate that. And yes, the whole situation is very frustrating…especially with the recent death of one of the little girls who was expecting to finally have access to affordable medical treatment in Georgia.

xdog August 28, 2014 at 11:00 am

How do you people who are rushing to make marijuana-based treatment available to kids suffering from frequent seizures deal with the fact that there are no clinical studies suggesting that the treatment would be effective, or even that the proposed treatment wouldn’t worsen their condition?

Even if the treatment proves effective, unless you have some data-based guidelines for treatment, doctors would be forced to guess about strength and frequency of doses.

I’m all for fast-tracking medical marijuana for a number of uses such as pain management and reduction of side-effects from chemo. Those are proven uses. Data exists to support them. Let’s support those uses first.