Morning Reads: 25 August 2014

August 25, 2014 6:30 am

by Eric The Younger · 7 comments

Oh boy was the weekend a scorcher. The good news is that College Football starts this week. The first SEC game will be South Carolina vs Texas A&M. As an alum who bleeds Garnet and Black, all I have to say on the matter is Go Cocks. Hopefully that other South Carolina school will be embarrassed in Athens on Saturday.

Here’s what else happened over the weekend.

Georgia

The Dems are ahead according to Landmark.
The DNC had a productive meeting here in Atlanta.
There was a pretty big GOP shindig in Rome over the weekend.
A Dem and Rep running against each other both attack Obama instead of each other?
Even with the drought conditions, we should still have a good peanut crop.

National/International

The big meeting in Jackson Hole that only the wonks pay attention to, Yellen is confident and hesitant at the same time.
New birth control rules are coming.
What will Hillary do?
Iran claims to have shot down an Israeli drone.
China has been watching Top Gun recently.

Everything Else

The Doctor is back. Please pass the fish sticks and custard.
Pre Season SEC power rankings. Alabama predicted to be the Conference Champ.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Ed August 25, 2014 at 7:30 am

I don’t get how even people like Phil Steele can say that ‘Bama is the best team in the SEC. For just one reason: they’re worse than they were last year, while Auburn is just as good. I dunno, I just don’t see it.

John Konop August 25, 2014 at 8:36 am

I agree, the QB situation at Alabama has to be a big warning sign….They are always loaded with talent, but QB is key…..which is why I like Auburn, Georgia, for dark horses Mississippi and LSU ( LSU OC best developing QB in SEC) Btw I am neutral I am a Cincinnati Bearcat fan.

Lawton Sack August 25, 2014 at 9:07 am

Probably because Alabama had the #1 recruiting class in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014, according to rivals.com. And they have Nick Saban as their coach.

Ed August 25, 2014 at 9:00 am

Ole Miss is the trendy sleeper team but I’m going to say Florida is your team to watch out for. They’re going to be a lot better this year. Might get eight wins plus one over UGA.

John Konop August 25, 2014 at 9:37 am

This is the big reason Mississippi is on the watch list:

Bo Wallace is a solid QB…..Florida I am not sold on Jeff Driskel yet….but if lives up to his potential you may be right….If not Gators will have a tough season……The other team you cannot ever count out is SC….another interesting QB situation….Dylan Thompson jury still out…

Eric The Younger August 25, 2014 at 10:44 am

We’ll see how Thompson does this year. He did alright last year when he played while Conner Shaw had his shoulder issues, but it was Shaw that made the comeback possible against Mizzou. Hopefully Thompson has learned a bit and is ready for Thursday. He needs to have a breakout first game.

John Vestal August 25, 2014 at 9:57 am

Sounds like somebody screwed the pooch at a GOP event in Dawson County on Saturday. Kudos to Sam Olens for saying what needed to be said.