The Real GSU Gets New A.D.

August 15, 2014 5:31 am

by Tim Darnell · 9 comments

And it will be Charlie Cobb, according to this morning’s AJC.

Cobb replaces Cheryl Levick, who oversaw the additional of football to the school; hired Trent Miles to replace Bill Curry as head coach, then Ron Hunter to coach men’s basketball.

Levick now becomes a personal assistant to GSU President Mark Becker.

Cobb steps into a huge role. Not only is GSU trying to raise $2.5 million to build a strength and conditioning facility for football; $5.5 million for a sports performance center; and $3.875 million for an academic performance center; but it also wants $300 million to transform Turner Field into an athletic complex for the school.

The most immediate task at hand, though? October 25, when Georgia Southern comes to town …

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

John Konop August 15, 2014 at 6:09 am

Turner field idea could be a win…..but it needs to be in conjunction with upgrading the housing and commercial development around the area. If done right this could be a real value add for Atlanta.

Bob the Eagle August 15, 2014 at 7:46 am

Here are some good goals
1) win a single game this season
2) expand seating capacity http://i.imgur.com/pl5Efdi.jpg
3) get a fight song that doesn’t belong on Sesame Street https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-SuC2zp4MU

More Peach Pundit Atlanta-centric bias again.

October 25: The true South will rise!

Ed August 15, 2014 at 8:01 am

Why/how could GSU expand the Dome’s seating capacity?

Bob the Eagle August 15, 2014 at 8:28 am

sar·casm noun \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny

Ed August 15, 2014 at 8:37 am

That’s bold talk for a team that’s just joined the FBS.

Also: http://www.gsu.edu

Bob the Eagle August 15, 2014 at 8:51 am

Georgia Southern: 1906
Georgia State: 1913

When your first undefeated football season was 90 years ago in 1924, you have six National Championships, you’re coming off an SEC victory, you land a top rated Sunbelt recruiting class, and just completed 22 million dollars in stadium upgrades and expansion you can afford to be a little bold.

Although, I understand if my team’s big splash was 3-8, 1-11, and 0-12 and high school teams across the street had higher actual attendance, I’d be a little afraid of bold talk too.

Bob the Eagle August 15, 2014 at 8:54 am

And how could I forget: Lambuth

Ed August 15, 2014 at 9:09 am

Be in a city that people know exists. Produce Georgia’s greatest citizen (me). Then you can be bold.

Ellynn August 15, 2014 at 11:13 am

I knew about Statesboro when I was a little girl living in the middle of Wisconsin… I just didn’t know why is was all painted blue…

And no, I have no dog in this fight…

Go Badgers!!!!