Gamechange: Zell Miller endorses Michelle Nunn

Michelle Nunn may be a special kind of Democrat. It has been a long while since Zell Miller weighed in on a major race in favor of a Democrat. He endorsed the last 3 GOP nominees and co-chaired Newt Gingrich’s presidential campaign. There are very few politicians for whom voters have retained such fondness. And apparently he thinks fondly of Michelle Nunn. The Nunn campaign rolled out an ad contained Zell Miller’s endorsement of Michelle Nunn.

The statement from Michelle reads: “I am so honored to have Governor Miller’s support, counsel, and endorsement. As I have travelled the state, I have met so many who praise the governor for the HOPE Scholarship and his independent spirit. It means so much to me, personally, that this Georgia icon recognizes my commitment to be a bridge-builder and a problem-solver in Washington.”

Somewhere a man wearing nothing but denim is screaming at a staffer, “but this wasn’t anywhere in the memo!”

1. Sorry but endorsements are almost never gamechangers.

A few years ago Zell Miller endorsed fellow Democrat Jack Lance for state House. Lance, related to Bert Lance and a family of old line Dems, was challenging my brother-in-law Stephen Allison. Miller did radio ads for Lance that ran night and day. Allison won 64-36.

No offense to the former Governor and Senator but his endorsement will have little effect on this race. Miller’s endorsement of Deal will have little effect on that race either.

The Miller endorsement will help energize those already supporting Nunn but that’s about it.

• gcp says:

Agree. Endorsements mean nothing in terms of outcome. Kingston was endorsed by all the politicians and insiders and he still lost.

• rightofcenter says:

I agree with you, other than your last line. Miller is considered a traitor and worse to true-blue Democrats and/or progressives, so I doubt it has an effect on them one way or the other. The only folks who I think would be influenced by this Miller endorsement would be the last of the old yellow-dog Democrats who might be teetering on the fence, but they have mostly died off.

2. MattMD says:

I don’t think I am alone in this feeling but there is no way I will ever vote for a turd like Purdue.

• rightofcenter says:

Matt, do you play doctor in third grade? What a ridiculously juvenile thing to say. Does anyone on this webpage care who you will or will not vote for?

3. Let’s not kid ourselves, if Zell had endorsed Perdue many people would have a different opinion about its importance. This move is important for two reasons – it gives old Dixiecrats looking for permission to support Michelle cover, and possibly as important it gives (for lack of a better term) the Bill Shipp set that still dominates the courthouse crowds something to talk about, and though it may not be immediately measurable in a poll, that’s a good thing for any candidate.

4. Scarlet Hawk says:

I love how Republicans are so appreciative of Zell when he spoke at the RNC., but now act as if this isn’t a win for Nunn- it is. I’ve always found Zell Miller to be a social climber, who affiliates himself with whomever he thinks is the winning horse for his own political expediency. That said, if he’s hitching his wagon to her, it is because he thinks she’s the prominent candidate. Whether that b true or no, remains to be seen. For me, that’s what is interesting about this.

Is it a game changer? No. Endorsements bring attention from the media and may get a raised eyebrow from the general voter, but a game changer it is not.

That said, can we please ask who in sam hill didn’t coach them better in front of the camera? He looks angry and fragile- more “get off my lawn” than “bridge builder” patriarch. Her awkward statement and hand placement come across as sincere as a used car sales man.

5. Three Jack says:

If Nunn is going off plan by seeking the stale, pale, male vote, then this might be newsworthy. But according to her campaign plan, they are focused on hispanics, women, blacks, etc., the usual dem voters. Not sure ol Zell will play to the planned voters.