Morning Reads — Thursday, August 7, 2014

August 7, 2014 7:03 am

by Jessica Szilagyi · 13 comments

On this day in history, I wrote the Morning Reads from a Chick-fil-a parking lot in Northwest Atlanta because Comcast is the worst internet service provider on earth.
Peaches

Jimmy Carter

Sweet Tea

Liberty Drum

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

View from Brookhaven August 7, 2014 at 7:31 am

I admire your dedication.

Raleigh August 7, 2014 at 8:04 am

Maybe it’s just me but in my circle of acquaintances this Ebola “fear” just isn’t something we are seriously worrying about. Minor concerns because of a problem or two at the CDC in the near past maybe but a “storm of public reaction”, where? The biggest reaction I see is the media sensationalizing this story. They seem to be trying to fan any fears which maybe out there to see who can break the biggest story. If the fear is as bad as the media is trying to report you would think there would be protest demonstrations all over the place. Tabloid journalism?

saltycracker August 7, 2014 at 8:35 am

The “we wanted” in this article is Emory hospital. The protocol on Ebola has been containment in Africa.
Where was the Head of CDC on this ? He should have signed off on this before the fact – not a charity or hospital. If he did I’m good – has that been advised ? if not then we need to get procedures in place or one day it will be a big deal.

John Konop August 7, 2014 at 9:23 am

It think it is very hard to control containment in other countries in a global travel environment. We would have no idea if someone came here with the disease, in fact they might not even know they are infected. Our country working on the solution is the best containment strategy. Which is why having the people treated here was smart in my opinion.

saltycracker August 7, 2014 at 9:57 am

I will go slower.
Under the authority/ok of the top US contagious disease person – that is the head of CDC.

So far all I’ve read is we are sure he must have been in the loop and other places (competition) had just as good of facilities…..Maybe next time they will get a faster plane.

Ed August 7, 2014 at 10:41 am

Am I missing something? Are you saying you wanted the CDC to sign off on something Emory University Healthcare is doing?

saltycracker August 7, 2014 at 10:56 am

:) Ebolalutly

Raleigh August 7, 2014 at 10:51 am

Good points, Haven’t heard if the Director “signed off” or not. I suspect even if he didn’t, he did or at least according to his managers he did. Where is the press on reporting item like this? Not sensational enough I guess.

Dave Bearse August 7, 2014 at 9:00 am

Been meaning to make this comment for a while: The AG’s office withholding the LaBerge memo from discovery and an Open Records Request highlights the appearance of conflict of interest when the AG’s office, since the AG’s office is the acting authority on Open Records Requests on matters concerning its own client.

Harry August 7, 2014 at 9:48 am

Washington DC from murder capital to boomtown

saltycracker August 7, 2014 at 10:17 am

A Federal judge whose litmus test is “is the sky falling ?”
I’ve got a few cases for him.

Darn, now that it is getting worse for 76% it is going to be more work to insure the clan is in the 24% of the haves.

alyssa.kay10 August 7, 2014 at 12:04 pm

This is a formatting/website comment…

Often in the morning reads, you have dead links or incorrect links. In this case, there is a link to the MTA Bed bugs story twice. I enjoy your content, but as a reader, I would appreciate it if linkage was verified before posting :)

Ed August 7, 2014 at 12:19 pm

FWIW, I know it happens to me all the time and its just a matter of the http:// not being in the address. I don’t know the internet so i don’t know why it appears with some websites but not others and all I do is CTRL-C, CTRL-V the link. When that happens, you can still get to the actual story by deleting the peachpundit.com stuff.

I also am sorry when it happens and I know Jessica et al can back me up on this… doing the MRs takes a fairly decent chunk of time (more than most would think) and often when you’re done you just want to walk away.