Richard Woods Certified as GOP School Super Candidate After Recount

July 31, 2014 18:15 pm

by Jon Richards · 10 comments

Following a recount due to the closeness of the race, Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp certified the vote totals and recount results for from the July 22nd runoff for the Republican candidate for State School Superintendent.

Seven Hundred votes separated the two candidates:

Michael L. ‘Mike’ Buck   198,741 (49.91%)
Richard L. Woods            199,441 (50.09%)

Richard Woods is the GOP candidate. On to November.

Chris Huttman July 31, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Out of curiosity how did the totals change?

Dave Bearse August 1, 2014 at 9:53 am

AJC reported Buck gained one absentee ballot and Woods lost 12 (or 13?).

Longhorn July 31, 2014 at 11:53 pm

According to the press release, Buck gained 1 vote and Woods lost 12 votes.

Dave Bearse August 1, 2014 at 10:00 am

The Tea Party anti-Obamacore candidate, natch.

Looking forward to most PP front-pagers and conservative commenter’s hearty endorsement of the candidacy that will take Georgia k-12 to the next level.

Charlie August 4, 2014 at 11:22 am

I’ve only met Valerie Wilson briefly and haven’t yet had the chance to discuss how she hopes to improve GA’s education beyond “more money for the same broken system”.

I’ll give her a chance, but right now this race strikes me as one where there will be a write in protest vote from me.

Lawton Sack August 4, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I really hope this is the last time we vote on the School Superintendent’s race. Let the Governor appoint the position. If it is not going to be appointed, then I would like to see it held staggered from the other statewide elections. I have never had an election where some many people did not know the candidates for a race.

John Konop August 4, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I agree not only would it create a cohesive policy team and direction….we could save money by having one staff instead of 2 doing the same job.

Will Durant August 4, 2014 at 7:41 pm

This Governor has already proven that this elected office serves only at his pleasure regardless of who the voters elect. Hell, Dr. Barge’s salary is $26,500 less than the position he had created for Chip Rogers.

Dave Bearse August 5, 2014 at 12:09 am

And it would be a great new six figure slot for a crony appointment, seeing how most of the plum posts have been taken.

griftdrift August 4, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I tuned into Georgia Gang on Sunday for about five minutes ( about all I can stand these days ) and heard Dick Williams say he thought Wilson might be the Dems best shot at a state wide race.

First smart thing I’ve heard come out of the bow tie in years.

Comments on this entry are closed.