D’Oh! Jay Bookman Asks Eliana Johnson If She’s Read Her Own Article.

July 29, 2014 8:00 am

by Buzz Brockway · 14 comments

Jay Bookman didn’t see what all the fuss was about yesterday. He saw no damaging stuff in the Michelle Nunn strategy memo that found it’s way to National Review Online yesterday. He might be correct. This may blow over and be forgotten tomorrow. However, not everyone agrees with Bookman, including as you might expect, the author of the article where the Nunn memo first appeared.

I’ve always wanted an excuse to post this video. Sorry Jay.

Jay Bookman July 29, 2014 at 8:40 am

OK, Buzz. I’ll respond to the silliness, although I’m disappointed that you would stoop to it.

My tweeted question to Ms. Johnson — “Have you read the piece?” — was a reference to the piece that I had just posted and tweeted about a few minutes earlier, still available at http://bit.ly/JBookMemo. I was not asking whether she had read her own piece, which I clearly knew she had written because I had already quoted her, by name, and linked to her.

I asked Ms. Johnson the question because the piece — MY piece — directly addressed the point about Hamas that she raised on Twitter. Clearly, she had NOT bothered to read the piece — MY piece. We went on to debate that issue a little further, allowing me to point out to Ms. Johnson that if Points of Light or Islamic Relief USA had in any way funneled resources to Hamas, as she falsely implies, the FBI would have arrested the bunch of them for support of a federally designated terror group. She seemed surprised to learn that.

Nonetheless, some on Twitter clearly preferred to debate and celebrate the engrossing and all important “my piece vs. the piece” controversy rather than the actual issues of whether Points of Light had donated to Hamas (“no”), or whether the Nunn campaign had bragged in the document about controlling the press, which to my mind was a total fabrication on Ms. Johnson’s part, and which I explain in the (my) piece.

So congratulations, Buzz. You too have now enlisted among those who would prefer to focus the debate on an totally erroneous “gotcha” based on a Twitter misunderstanding rather than actual substance. Although we have disagreed in the past, I had thought better of you than that. Another lesson learned.

Again, those who would prefer a more substantive discussion than offered by Buzz on Peach Pundit will find it at http://bit.ly/JBookMemo . You may disagree with what you find, but it is honest and nontrivial in its presentation.

Michael Silver July 29, 2014 at 8:42 am

John Konop July 29, 2014 at 8:46 am

I am Jewish….it is rather insulting to think all of us think a like….The Jewish community in America is split on many issues as well as this…..We do not sit around and plot together….It may shock you….

Michael Silver July 29, 2014 at 9:55 am

I find it hard understand the thought process that would justify supporting any organization that supports Hamas, directly or tangentially.

Hamas proudly and visibly declares itself as an existential threat to Israel and even Christianity in the Middle East. Hamas and its fellow travelers ISIS are enemies of Western Civilization.

Hamas’ financial sophistication to elude US sanctions via shell companies, “humanitarian organizations”, and third party nations (such as our ally Qatar) is well known and documented. A dollar loaded anywhere along the organizational – money laundering chain will end up building tunnels and missiles designed to kill Jews.

Bookman’s bright line to Club-Fed for funding Hamas isn’t as bright as he claims. The Obama Administration tolerates less-obvious funding of Hamas for so-called humanitarian and supposedly engagement purposes. Bush and the Republican’s are guilty of this too.

I don’t care what religion you are. If you support Hamas and the people and organizations tangentially associated with it, you are aiding and abetting the destruction of Israel and Western Civilization in the Middle East. Plain and simple.

John Konop July 29, 2014 at 10:37 am

The charity you are talking about is the Islamic Relief Fund. This charity is backed by GE, JP Chase, Microsoft and HP. They are aliened with below:

………Islamic Relief USA™ works closely with these relief groups to make sure that humanitarian assistance is delivered as quickly and efficiently as possible. American Red Cross Capital Area Asset Builders CARE International Catholic Charities USA Catholic Relief Services Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints International Red Cross ONE Salvation Army Save the Children USA United Nations UNRWA UN World Food Programme US Department of Agriculture Women, Faith and Development Alliance World Vision ………

Do you think anyone involved with the above groups are supporting Hamas terrorism for helping this charity? HUH?

Michael Silver July 29, 2014 at 11:48 am

Yes. I do. I think many of these organizations are turning a blind eye to where the money is going and its impact. I don’t expect any of them to operate any differently than the bankers who closed their eyes about the source of the Nazi’s money during WW2.

John Konop July 29, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Wow you just insulted about everyone in America…..you realize almost all of us are way or another directly or indirectly involved with most the groups, companies…..? More than likely you even insulted yourself……

Michael Silver July 29, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Hardly. Most folks who contribute to the Red Cross, as an example, don’t know where the money goes or what its spent on. They simple send money to the Red Cross based on what they see in the ads or what they think it does. You and I do not have an obligation to make sure the money is spent wisely or legally, that is the role of the leadership of the org.

I won’t mention how little of Red Cross money actually goes to their self-proclaimed mission. If IRS 990 forms weren’t so stupid and cloudy, folks would see who is getting rich and they would be outraged. But, that is a different matter.

John Konop July 29, 2014 at 1:13 pm

We are idiots and or part of your world conspiracy if we donated and or worked for the American Red Cross Capital Area Asset Builders CARE International Catholic Charities USA Catholic Relief Services Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints International Red Cross ONE Salvation Army Save the Children USA United Nations UNRWA UN World Food Program, US Department of Agriculture Women, Faith and Development Alliance World Vision. Or if we ever bought products and or worked for Chase/JP Morgan, Microsoft, GE, HP, Sysco, Pfizer……..? All of this is the same as supporting the Nazi government in WW2 via your world view?

John Konop July 29, 2014 at 8:42 am

I have to agree with Jay on this about Hamas…..This 7 degrees of separation both sides use to connect politicians for negative campaigning is BS…..And it pushes away any real debate on core issues….

Spacey G July 29, 2014 at 9:43 am

Heck, I’m a white establishment WASP liberal progressive type, most of the time, and I’m offended by the leaked memo! Perdue will trounce Nunn in November. Easily.

griftdrift July 29, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Is there any more pointless time in politics than between the primary and September 1st?

Chris Huttman July 29, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Election day.

griftdrift July 29, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Touché.

Although I would caveat that by saying on that day at least all y’all pro-fessional’s neuroses keep your nervous energies bundled up waiting for 7 o’clock.

Where as every August is a non-stop tornado of boredom induced mania.

Comments on this entry are closed.