Morning Reads: 28 July 2014

July 28, 2014 6:30 am

by Eric The Younger · 23 comments

Boy was it warm this weekend, a wee bit different than earlier in the week. Hopefully everyone was able to stay cool. Besides the recovery of my stolen Jeep, here’s what else happened over the weekend.

Georgia

Hey look we made top 12! Wait a sec, how many Governor’s races are actually going on?
It’s a good thing we have a State Charter School Commission.
Want to play Swamp People in Georgia? Now you can.
Everybody’s talking about the Senate race, from England to California.
Apparently “It’s for the children” doesn’t work if they have tans and speak Spanish.

National/International

Highway funding and cocktails.
Plagiarism shouldn’t really be the question.
Let’s talk about that impeachment thing.
This Ebola outbreak is getting serious. (here and here)
The EU has increased sanctions on Russia.

Everything Else

Hey look, Georgia doesn’t have the worst transit system in America. Hooray for Detroit!
That’s a whole lot of bugs that like beer.

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

South Fulton Guy July 28, 2014 at 6:35 am

Sharing any more about the Jeep drama?

Eric The Younger July 28, 2014 at 9:11 am

It was stolen on the 20th/21st in Midtown and it was recovered in Southeast Atlanta on Thursday. Everyone from APD was easy to deal with, the exception being the Properties Division to get the paperwork to release my Jeep from the towing company’s lot.

There was minimal damage to it, the ignition was punched out and there is some sort of gremlin in the electrical system. They didn’t take a lot of the car and what they did take was kind of random. I should have it back from the mechanic in the next day or so and then it goes to get detailed.

While it is kinda cool to be able to start my car with a pocket knife or a screw driver, I much prefer the security of a key.

Noway July 28, 2014 at 8:14 am

How ‘ bout parents taking care of their own children, tan, Spanish speaking or otherwise?

Harry July 28, 2014 at 9:14 am
saltycracker July 28, 2014 at 8:52 am

Illegals: Perhaps Deal has a problem with the percentage involving cartels and trafficking of children….and nice of the Feds to distribute them around the country as planned…..saves transportation costs….

xdog July 28, 2014 at 9:22 am

One thing that bothers me about the pro-charter folks, they assume denial by a local board is wrong.

Eric The Younger July 28, 2014 at 9:42 am

Sometimes denial is because of political issues and not because of the strength of the petition. That was definitely the case for Utopian Academy in Clayton. Having a second authorizer helps to eliminate that political bias by authorizing good charter petitions and continuing to reject the bad ones. Otherwise there would be no appeal system for a good petition.

xdog July 28, 2014 at 10:13 am

And we all know that the state review board operates without political bias.

Charlie July 28, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Do you know how many applications to the State Commission there were last year vs. how many were approved? Go ahead. Look it up. We’ll wait.

xdog July 28, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Or you could just tell me. If it’s all or none, I don’t see how it would affect my point.

But it would be interesting to see a breakdown of charter applications OKed/denied by local boards, by the state BOE, by the state commission.

Dr. Monica Henson July 28, 2014 at 1:11 pm

There are several of us in the pro-charter community who do not support a charter application or renewal simply because it’s a charter. It’s about accountability. Many local districts have demonstrated that they will not approve any charter application for any reason. The Commission provides an alternate authorization mechanism. Smart BOEs will beef up their application review process and recognize that they can start authorizing worthy charters (and retain a measure of control, which is what the debate is really about), or the Commission will do it anyway.

Lea Thrace July 28, 2014 at 10:01 am

I really hope it’s not August 28th. Cause that would mean I got caught up in some sort of time jump AND I missed my birthday.

Charlie July 28, 2014 at 10:09 am

His mom’s back teaching in a Cobb Co classroom today. It can’t be July, right?

Eric The Younger July 28, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Yeah so I was really thinking about football season starting and the opening game with USC and Texas A&M. Got a little carried away and messed up the date.

Noway July 28, 2014 at 10:12 am

Quick question for some of you familar with everything school related: whats to stop a person, along with some well-heeled friends from opening up their own damn school, charter, christian or otherwise? Say I”m fed up with all the crap, I hire myself a homely schoolmarm, a brilliant teacher or three and just have at it!! What say yall?

Charlie July 28, 2014 at 10:18 am

Funding. If you’re opening up a private school, then the barriers to entry are slight (I won’t claim to know what exactly one has to comply with, but I imagine so long as it can get some sort of accreditation it’s fine. To your point, the local board of education can’t stop it.)

The point of a charter is that the charter school is a public school. Thus, it gets public funding. The type of charter depends on whether the local BOE provides some of that funding. If a State Charter School, then the state/feds are picking up the tab.

Dr. Monica Henson July 28, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Private schools are not required by law to seek accreditation, although most do. The legislature imcentivizes it (HOPE, etc.).

Harry July 28, 2014 at 10:26 am

What you’re describing is the latest iteration of homeschooling. Families are pooling resources.

Noway July 28, 2014 at 10:30 am

Sounds fantastic!

Dr. Monica Henson July 28, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Harry is correct, that homeschool families sometimes pool their resources and collaborate.

Noway July 28, 2014 at 10:28 am

Thanks, Charlie! After winning the powerball and pledging my never-ending love to Cuddy from House, I’d open and run, with my title being Principal-For-Life, my own freaking school, with the best teachers my money could buy!!! No more 50th place!

Three Jack July 28, 2014 at 1:26 pm

The ‘Old Grey Lady’ has an opinion on marijuana legalization – http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/27/opinion/sunday/high-time-marijuana-legalization.html?_r=0 – maybe this will help get serious dialogue started.

CO and WA are leading the way but the marijuana related businesses in these states do not have access to banks due to federal law. Along with the many other reasons for federal decriminalization or legalization, banking access for authorized retailers has become extremely important.

Harry July 28, 2014 at 1:26 pm