Tip On How Not To Send An Email Campaign

July 25, 2014 11:26 am

by Nathan · 22 comments

So, I got this in the email this morning from the Republican National Committee:

Screenshot_2014-07-25-10-52-10

I wasn’t alone. I’ve seen on Facebook where numbers of Republican faithful are getting similar emails. I’ve given to candidates and the state party monetarily, and I guess my service as an officer doesn’t mean squat. I don’t take kindly to threats, and I know my Republican friends don’t either. This email doesn’t exactly make me reach for my wallet and doesn’t do much to endear me to them. Imagine what goes through the mind of swing Republican voters.

Take heed both candidates and Republican Party organizations: don’t send out this type of mass email to get donations. You probably won’t see much return, and you’ll tick off your supporters and alienate possible Republican voters.

southernpol July 25, 2014 at 11:30 am

Glad you posted this. When I received it this morning I went in and unsubscribed immediately. Just plain dumb.

TheEiger July 25, 2014 at 11:31 am

I would like to see the metrics on how many people opted out of future emails because of this email. I was one of them.

Lea Thrace July 25, 2014 at 11:31 am

Who the heck thought this wording was a good idea?!

radix023 July 25, 2014 at 11:34 am

I got the same email. The cast of scumbags they sent solicitations under was amazing. A real rogues gallery of the kind of tool that participated in the MS ripoff.

Al Gray July 25, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Once again we are confronted with the true face of the Republican Party.

I think 2014 will be a campaign season for us renegades to savor for a very, very long time.

Ken July 26, 2014 at 6:27 pm

The TRUE face of the Republican Party is the recipient, Nathan Smith.

The true face of the NRC seems to belong to a guilt-wielding, unscrupulous fundraiser. Don’t feel bad. Apparently the NRC has also confused the two.

FranInAtlanta July 25, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Had a call during the Fall 2012 campaign – supposedly from the Republican Party. Told me that Romney had enough money – should give directly to the Party.

Mike Dudgeon July 25, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I got that email today and was enraged. 8 years of elected GOP service? Who cares – I get threatened.

NorthGAGOP July 25, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Who ever thought this was a good idea should be fired.

Ken July 26, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Yes, but lets make that EVERYONE who thought this was a good idea – as high as the approval went. Hello, Chairman Priebus? Can you hear me?

seenbetrdayz July 27, 2014 at 7:48 am

“Chairman Priebus, did you aband— oh wait, we already know the answer.”

Sybil Wainwright July 25, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I got that ridiculous email today as well. We haven’t donated to the RNC for years as we figured out long ago that it was much better to donate directly to the candidates of OUR choice, rather than let the RNC decide who ought to get our money. As Republicans, my husband and I have evolved into voters and volunteers who really try to learn all we can about candidates, do all we can to actually meet them, and see if we really are “birds of a feather.” After all, if elected these people will have their hands on our wallet!

saltycracker July 25, 2014 at 4:10 pm

The responses indicate that even when working for the greater good, winning by intimidation just might not be a good idea.

Mrs. Adam Kornstein July 25, 2014 at 5:24 pm

It’s not just the Republican’s that send these. I’ve gotten them from DCCC, DNC and other entities. All I can guess is this must have worked one time, someone wrote a blog post that it did, and they all jumped on the bandwagon.

They start out passive aggressive and then move straight to aggressive. I get at least one call a day from an “Unknown” number, that I’m sure is a fundraising call. They never leave a message and I’m unlikely to ever answer an unknown caller.

I unsubscribe on a weekly basis, and yet not 10 days go by and they’ve pulled a new list and I’m getting them again.

David C July 25, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Next Week: “Vote With Me If You Want to Live”

Bridget Cantrell July 25, 2014 at 11:36 pm
WeymanCWannamakerJr July 27, 2014 at 3:11 am

“…said RNC spokesperson Kirsten Kukowski. ‘The Democrats have used this tactic regularly…'”
Alrighty then.

This is just an email variation on a theme already used by the Tea Party Patriots’ telemarketers; “…telephone fundraising is proven effective to recruit new donors, renew lapsed donors and turn activists into contributors.” The motives are pretty transparent when the importance appears to be to “turn activists into contributors.”

Jon Lester July 26, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I could have told them that I unsubscribed from all the Obama-related lists exactly because I was tired of being hit up for money several times a week, and seeing every talking point, true or false, exploited to its maximum fundraising potential (which is why no Democrats are acknowledging the truth of the Hobby Lobby judgment, to cite but one big example).

James Fannin July 28, 2014 at 10:06 am

I give generously to GOP candidates every year and support the state and county parties so this email really made me angry as well. They could have phrased it a little better and asked the better question, “has the RNC abandoned you?”

Charlie July 29, 2014 at 1:39 pm

So they got bad national press last week. Did they learn their lesson? Here’s what someone who I believe is on the State Committee just sent me. She received it today:

We know you receive a lot of email – but that is only because this is deeply important. The future of our country is at stake.

The Democrats know they are in danger of losing power, which is why President Obama constantly attends fundraisers – even during international crisis situations! America deserves better.

We only have two days left until the end of the month and our first FEC fundraising deadline within the last 100 days of the campaign.

According to our records, you haven’t chipped in yet online to fight Harry Reid.

Supporter Record Number: 3389715
Chipped in Online?: NO

If you’ve been waiting to chip in, this is one of the best times to do it.

President Obama and Harry Reid are raising unprecedented amounts of money to stay in power. Don’t let them win!

ALL GIFTS TODAY ARE TRIPLE-MATCHED!

Chip in $25 or More Immediately >>

A Republican victory really isn’t possible without you.

Charlie July 29, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I’ll note that part of what I clipped didn’t identify the sender. It’s from the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

Al Gray July 29, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Oh come on guys, you aren’t doing your utmost to keep Mitch McConnell.

Comments on this entry are closed.