Editors’ Note On Commenting

July 24, 2014 15:08 pm

by Charlie · 9 comments

Last week we had a first time commenter sign on using an email address name that was a racial epithet.  Today I just received a first comment to approve with the moniker “Trailer Trash”.  I’d suggest those of you that are new to our community put your best foot forward when joining our commenting pool.  While I won’t claim I’m happy with every screen name that has ever been approved, I’m also not inclined nor compelled to turn people loose into our community who have such little regard for themselves or others to use names as these.  I find it hard to think that you believe these terms aid political discourse.  Try harder, or stay away.  – Management

Hardly July 24, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I would just like to second your sense of surprise that such behaviors would occur here. I have seen nothing, NOTHING, over the past 6 or so years that would have led me to suspect it.

(Now can we get back to impeaching this freakin’ Socialist Kenyan usurper who is not truly one of us and is clearly trying to destroy America!?!?!)

Charlie July 24, 2014 at 4:13 pm

You’re a troll. And while I’m cleaning a few things up, we can take care of you too.

LoyaltyIsMyHonor July 24, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Well Charlie Harper was already taken ;-)

LoyaltyIsMyHonor July 24, 2014 at 4:38 pm

In all seriousness, this is the best moderated political site I’ve ever come across. Political Insider and Fresh Loaf could learn a lot from PP. Of course, more comments mean more revenue for them I’m sure.

Charlie July 24, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I very much do appreciate you saying that.

As someone who started here in the commenting community, I take the value of our comments very seriously. Until about 18 months ago I read just about every comment on every thread for over 5 years. I frankly just don’t have the time to spend here like I used to, but do what I can when I can.

That said, I do know that people like yourself have also been commenting here for years, and are only going to participate if there’s some level of meaningful discussion going on down here. As such, while I’m not (usually) that quick to ban folks, I do want to make sure that the people who are commenting here are actively trying to participate in some meaningful way rather than just being a troll or trying to shout others down.

Thanks for hanging with us.

Dave Bearse July 24, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Glad you don’t have the time, since that means you’re getting paid for your good work elsewhere, or accomplishing more for your efforts elsewhere.

Stephen in Southside July 24, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Charlie, I’m waiting on Debbie to say your actions are unconstitutional. #mouthofthesouth

FoggyHighPoint July 24, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Charlie, can we add like buttons for the sole purpose of liking this?

Choosy Mothers Choose Jiff July 25, 2014 at 12:11 am

Yeah! you tell ‘em Charlie. Only wholesome names.

Can I make you a nice PB&J and a cold glass of milk?

I have to echo what what’s his name said above. This forum proves you do not have to deal with the knuckle typist’s Barry haters you find on That Cox Rag™

Speaking of rags, don’t you find it interesting that Cox JC charges premiums to read stories written by other news outlets? They serve up cold copy pasta as some sort of ‘premium access’.

Know what I do, Charlie Harper? I highlight and right click the teaser paragraph and google search for the story free elsewhere, typically THE SOURCE.

I fear I do not understand this whole free market thing yet.

Comments on this entry are closed.