Morning Reads for Tuesday, July 22st, 2014

It’s the primary runoff! Go vote! If you are in Fulton, I hereby endorse Jane Barwick for Judge and Marvin Arrington for Fulton County Commission. Beyond that, you’re on your own. Morning Reads after the jump!

• Watergate Was the Only Serious Impeachment (Bloomberg View)
  • Jet Engineer Designs a Saucepan That Boils Water Ridiculously Fast (Wired)
  • Vertical Farming Powering Urban Food Sources (Diplomatic Courier)
  •  How Russian Hackers Stole the Nasdaq (Businessweek)
  • Visualizing Algorithms (Mike Bostock)
  • The voodoo of lobster economics: Cheap at sea, pricey on the plate (Globe and Mail)
  • The secretive billionaire who built Silicon Valley (Fortune)
  • Content Used to Be King.  Now It’s the Joker. (Medium)
  • Tech’s Most Powerful Snoop (NY Mag)
  • Will the rich live to 120 and the poor die at 60? (Aeon)
  • Tales from the Genome (Seeking Wisdom)
  • 45 Years Ago We Landed Men on the Moon (The Atlantic)
  • Has Jeff Koons Become a Pillar of the Art Establishment? (Vanity Fair)
  • The Worst Free-Throw Shooter (Pacific Standard)

• Senate confirms Carnes for the 11th Circuit (ajc)
  • Texts between LaBerge and Riley are used to defend Riley, but cut both ways (ajc)
  • Vernon Jones is an endless barrel of classy (fox5)
  • AJC repeats Hot Car Dad’s half brother’s claims that police witnesses embellished evidence (ajc)
  • But that was in a probable cause hearing, which really should have been waived.
  • Check out the Battle of Atlanta, through the eyes of the AJC (ajc)
  • More stuff that will come back to haunt Sam Olens (dailyreport)
  • David Purdue Perdue learns the ropes, (ajc)
  • Senate Press thinks LaBerge and Deal aren’t worthy of your attention (clatl)
  • You should probably go vote today.

1. Ghost of William F. Buckley says:

I know quite a few of my Democratic friends check into Peach Pundit, if nothing more than to find out what rich, 19th century, old guys are up to — You are always welcome here!

To my Dem friends, please do not forget to VOTE TOMORROW! It’s your duty.

2. Noway says:

Thank you NASA for giving us our nation’s crowning achievement. It’s a damn shame we’ve not had a similar level of success since.

• Will Durant says:

We have a raft of technological achievements to show for the past 45 years. For example, we have greatly refined the science of bombing brown people since 1969. Instead of indiscriminately dropping bombs guided only by gravity from B-52s we now have drones firing laser-guided missiles aimed by an operator sitting at his desk back in the States.

3. Three Jack says:

So I got up this morning in time to vote but had no motivation to do so. I wrestled with the idea of simply not voting since there really are no candidates offering anything other than ‘the other guy sucks worse than I do’. The more I thought about it, the easier it became to just drive past my empty polling location which I did.

I can sum up my feelings about this GOP runoff with the following. I don’t choose to buy a product because it isn’t quite as bad as its competitor, i.e. I like Coca Cola so I buy it not because it is the lesser evil when compared with Pepsi. I choose to buy Coke because I like it far better than Pepsi. People/voters want to be excited about their purchase/vote. Unfortunately the eight guys (Kingston – Perdue, Barr – Loudermilk, Buck – Woods, Byrne – Weatherford) that appeared on my ballot in Cobb County have not attempted to sell themselves instead opting to disparage their respective opponents. Based on the emptiness of my polling location parking lot, it would seem their collective tactics resulted in many others reacting just as I did.

• MattMD says:

Yes, somewhat.

I had to vote for a guy who denies a fundamental, unifying theory of biology which I have studied in its various forms for 6 years.

I just cannot vote for a Perdue/Purdue after we had Dilbert’s boss in office for 8 years. Now that might be unfair, since they are only cousins, but it is the truth with respect to me.

• Three Jack says:

I’m with you Matt on the Perdue thing having never voted for the cousin either. So we’re left with a congressman who has already spent over 20 years in office with the very real potential of extending that to 40 years+ if he wins tonight. Another shot please!

• Mrs. Adam Kornstein says:

The last person I actually liked respected AND could vote for…. Sen. Bill Bradley.

I view NOT voting much like the Domino theory. Good politicians/voters become complacent and lazy, the elected officials devolve into marginally or wholly corrupt individuals who then salt the earth for anyone “good” to replace them and everyone becomes more cyclical and jaded thus validating why we’ve opted out in the first place.