From The Jason Carter Press Conference

July 15, 2014 14:33 pm

by Charlie · 12 comments

We’ve posted a couple of statements from the Governor, and here’s a press release from the man that wants to live in his house on West Paces Ferry:

ATLANTA—New documents show Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal’s top two official aides directly intervened in an ethics investigation into his campaign. The governor’s chief of staff and executive counsel both pressured the ethics commission to end their investigation before a public hearing, according to reports from Fox 5 Atlanta, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the Associated Press.

Sen. Jason Carter said the revelations are astounding.

“Gov. Deal and his aides have demonstrated a pattern of abuse and intimidation,” Carter said. “They forced out the state’s top ethics officials, and then they bullied their hand-picked replacement to kill the investigation.

“Why did Gov. Deal and his aides go to such great lengths to kill the investigation? What were they worried would come to light?

“It’s inappropriate, and possibly illegal, for Gov. Deal’s state-paid advisers to intervene in an investigation of his campaign. It’s outrageous that they apparently used their positions of authority to threaten the ethics commission.

“The governor is not above the law. I am renewing my call for a full investigation of the original charges against Gov. Deal and the subsequent cover-up.

“Taxpayers paid the salaries of the people who orchestrated the cover-up, and now taxpayers owe more than $3 million to pay for the consequences. They deserve answers, and they deserve accountability.”

A background on the ethics investigation and cover-up is attached.

Download (PDF, 251KB)

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

gcp July 15, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Carter can say anything he wants but more Georgians will still vote for a corrupt adult for governor as opposed to the whining child Carter; unless of course Deal is indicted, then all bets are off.

George Chidi July 15, 2014 at 3:09 pm

The more Deal’s games metastasize, the louder and uglier the name-calling against Carter will be. Watch.

saltycracker July 15, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Love to continue to have to select the least harmful candidate (to me) or the one to vote against. Aka picking the best one in a bad pile.

James Fannin July 15, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I’m indeed the voter gcp described. I would rather vote for an ethically challenged governor than Jason Carter whose only achievement appears to be that he has an infamous political grandfather. We need someone with better qualifications than being a winner in the “lucky sperm club” lottery. I have no illusions about Nathan Deal. He clearly looks way too far the other way when it comes to unethical behavior of his family and his staff but there is no way I’m voting for Carter. On balance I believe Deal will still be a better governor than Jason Jimmy Junior Carter. I voted for my last Carter in 1976, my last Bush in 2004 and my last Nunn decades ago.

MattMD July 15, 2014 at 5:40 pm

TL/DR: I’m a fool.

David C July 15, 2014 at 9:15 pm

He may be a crook, but he’s our crook! Tammany Hall would be so proud.

WeymanCWannamakerJr July 16, 2014 at 4:57 am

A fine Georgia tradition. Vote the old crook back in because he is likely to steal less than a new crook.

Noway July 15, 2014 at 2:59 pm

A week ago I would have agreed, now I’m not so sure. There is a lot of time between now and the election….I think this ethics issue and all of the people coming out saying damaging things has to have Deal’s folks scared.

MattMD July 15, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Deal is the same sleaze-ball who resigned from Congress before they investigated him, right?

Is any of this surprising?

Spacey G July 15, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Nathan Deal could be wearing the orange jump suit in a campaign ad, and Georgians would still vote for him. And chop their own noses off to spite their own faces at the very same time.

saltycracker July 15, 2014 at 5:02 pm
Trey A. July 16, 2014 at 12:01 am

Nunn, Kingston or Perdue–whoever wins is not going to matter all that much to most Georgians.

As much as I appreciate Deal’s prison reform efforts and his (exceedingly rare in elected officials today) military service, I’m convinced his likely re-election will negatively affect most citizens of our state. I sincerely hope the Carter campaign has more to offer voters than the tired old story that Nathan Deal is a good ol’ boy with ethics problems. It’s going to take more than this latest Deal black eye to pull off the upset we need.