Trying For A Bigger Tent

July 12, 2014 7:33 am

by Jon Richards · 110 comments

This morning’s AJC brings us an enterprise story by Greg Bluestein on how the Georgia GOP is trying to broaden its base by organizing county parties in traditionally Democratic areas. The story highlights the effort in the second congressional district’s Quitman County, hard by the Chattahoochee’s Walter F. George Reservoir, south of Columbus.

As Democrats seek to take advantage of an influx of newcomers and a growing tide of minority voters, the GOP is launching a quiet counteroffensive to beef up support in future battlegrounds. And Quitman is one of a handful of places where the party is toiling to build its infrastructure.

The GOP’s goal here goes well beyond swinging control of the County Commission. Party leaders from Gov. Nathan Deal on down acknowledge that Republicans need to make more inroads to minority voters in places such as Quitman, where blacks narrowly outnumber whites.

In the story, those being interviewed admit that it won’t be easy for Republicans to make any progress in this overwhelmingly Democratic county. Some ask why the GOP is even trying.

Maybe it’s because the minority population in Georgia is destined to become an increasing portion of the state’s voters. And unless Republicans try to engage these voters, they will drift to the Democratic party.

Which brings me to the kerfuffle in Georgia’s 10th District runoff, where Democratic leaning voters are being encouraged to go to the polls to support one candidate over the other. We saw a similar situation last month in the Mississippi Senate runoff.

Both Mississippi and Georgia are open primary states, where there is no party registration. Yet in both states, there are complaints about “their” voters participating in “our” election.

If the GOP is to survive as more than a regional party, it will need a bigger tent. That’s what the effort in Quitman County is all about. Isn’t the effort in the 10th district, and especially in Mississippi, the other side of the same coin?

{ 110 comments… read them below or add one }

Left Turn Only July 12, 2014 at 10:07 am

Be careful what you wish for. A large number of African American voters in your primary would weaken the power of the tea party nutters who select your candidates. Where would the neo Confederates go then – to the Democratic Party? Here’s a hint to the clueless: telling the staff not to make African Americans park in the back of the parking lot and stop calling them by racial slurs would be a good start.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 11:12 am

What happened in Mississippi and may be happening in the 10th district is not the GOP trying to expand their tent. It is the establishment saying screw you to tea party and other conservative activists and using Obama Democrats, that will vote Democrat in November, to defeat conservative candidates in the GOP Primary. In Mississippi it is illegal to buy votes and it is illegal to vote in the GOP Primary when you have the intention of voting for the Democrat in November. There are video interviews of this. You can bet we will also be interviewing people in the tenth on election day and I already have a list of voters in the tenth that normally vote in Democrat primaries and that have contributed to Democratic causes/candidates. Almost 16,000 Democrats in the 10th voted in the Democrat Primary on May 20th. In 2012, 69% of voters in the 10th voted for Broun in the GOP Primary. Those voters need to ask themselves if they want to allow Obama Democrats choosing the nominee. Activists should make sure Cochran doesn’t win the general election at all costs. If I lived in Mississippi, I would be volunteering for the Democrat. The Democrat is more conservative than Cochran is. If I lived in Kentucky, I would not vote for McConnell in November. I would either vote Libertarian or would write in Fed Up to send a message about McConnell’s part in Mississippi

If conservatives allow the Republican elitists/establishment to get away with what they did in Mississippi, then it will set back the conservative cause. Moderates will simply turn to Democrats to help them win the GOP Primary and will expect conservatives to vote for them in November. We must take a stand now against such tactics. These tactics have the potential to affect other races on the GOP ticket in November. If what happened in Mississippi is happening in the 10th, then it will cause an explosion of anger right before the November election. You don’t take a girl to a dance, allow her to drive you there, completely trash her and go off and dance with others that are trashing your date then expect her to drive you home when you need her to. When it comes time to drive you home, if she is smart, she will tell you to go to hell and leave you at the dance.

Chase Murray, you are way off base and are outright lying.. I endorsed Jack Kingston. Does that really someone that believes in a purity test?

If the GOP truly wants to attract African Americans into the tent, then they need to stop the corporate cronyism/welfare.

Harry July 12, 2014 at 11:21 am

Debbie, I and others are with you. If there’s evidence a GOP candidate is organizing partisan Democrats against a GOP runoff opponent in return for promises to go easy on welfare reform etc., then that candidate should be defeated in November.

Charlie July 12, 2014 at 11:31 am

Debbie, you’re just like any other poster here, and that means that you’re not going to spam your rants across multiple posts. Note your calling out of Chase Murray above, who hasn’t commented on this thread.

Back away from the keyboard and go do some self reflection. Any other spam cross-posted comments will be deleted.

Management

Harry July 12, 2014 at 11:40 am

What Debbie has posted above is a new cut at the Dem recruitment issue and not a re-post, to the best of my knowledge.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 11:53 am

Charlie, I did try to delete the Chase portion from this thread but could not because time had expired.

Jon Richards July 12, 2014 at 11:57 am

Debbie: Let’s imagine that things were reversed, and McDaniel had solicited minority votes instead of Cochran. Would you now be raging against McDaniel the way you are against Cochran?

Harry July 12, 2014 at 12:04 pm

But it didn’t happen that way so it’s a hypothetical.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 12:23 pm

If McDaniel has used the same tactics, you bet I would be livid !! McDaniel would not stoop that low. It isn’t just a matter of soliciting Democrat votes and you know it. If Cochran and company view tea party activists in such low esteem, then he should be happy not to have their votes in November. I would rather see the Democrat win. He is the most conservative candidate.

RooseveltRepublicanLiberal July 12, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Stooping so low? I’m just astounded on some of the comments on this website, I’m in total disbelief that there are people thinking this way. You all need to start reading posts and articles from California, New York, Illinois, Minnesota, New Mexico republican party. For the republican party to once again win, they need to throw all that confederate tea party nonsense. Look at Gov. Chris Christie, he championed for gun control and medicaid expansion. I forgot to add, there is an article that I want you all to read, it is about the future of the southern states. “The white South’s last defeat” by Michael Lind. This is a very interesting article and recommended.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 6:29 pm

What is wrong is that when a candidate hires people and furnishes money for Democrats to attack conservative positions in order to get a moderate candidate elected. The candidate is in essence attacking conservatism in order to get elected. It is legal unless there is vote buying like Mississippi or unless a voter voted in the Democratic Primary May 20th which is easily verifiable.

If the candidate engages in this tactic, then it is justifiable that conservatives call him out and attack him for it and use it to get conservative voters in the district engaged and vote against the candidate in larger numbers than in the primary. It is also perfectly understandable that there be calls made or mail pieces sent out that ask voters if they want Obama Democrats choosing their next congressman and play a clip of either Erick Erickson’s show or Tim Bryant’s show. It is perfectly logical that if the candidate wins the GOP Primary, voters won’t forget it and he will be constantly looking over his shoulder because Congressmen run every two years.. He will be forever tainted by the tactics and essentially attacking conservatism in order to get elected. The candidate opened Pandora’s box and he needs to deal with the flak.

Friends from Washington state sent me the Red State article on it and thought it was horrible.

RooseveltRepublicanLiberal July 12, 2014 at 6:53 pm

The Cochran campaign didn’t do anything wrong. What this demonstrates is his coalition admonished the confederate tea partiers and was inclusive to African Americans. I’m glad Cochran went left on economic issues and made the importance of the federal government. Mississippi receives a large portion of their money to cover for schools, jobs, and etc. McDaniel is beyond crazy, which would make the senate more toxic. We don’t need more republican extreme conservatism, we need republican liberalism, such as Theodore Roosevelt, General Grant, and Lincoln. Equality means breaking barriers for opportunity. There is still institutionalized racism on minority groups. Google it if you don’t know. My head is just hurting from reading so many of this comments. My republican friends outside the south will just have a big laugh of this. Adding, this republican will not vote for the republican party, but straight democratic.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Roosevelt, vote buying and getting Democrats to cross over that have already voted in the Democrat primary is illegal. You need to read the links I posted.
It is good to reach out to Democrats in order to bring them the Republican fold and get them to vote Republican in November. that wasn’t done. Democrats were used and some that were promised money by Cochran’s people were stiffed.

I am not a confederate racist tea partier. I have stood side by side with the NAACP and labor unions on issues against the Chamber and other Republicans. We have even had joint press conferences. I support green energy. I oppose corporate cronyism/welfare. You just don’t like tea party views on limited government. You believe the government is the solution-not the problem. You just want both parties to espouse liberalism .

Liberalism has failed ideas. When Obama was elected, you guys advocated for a liberal utopia with redistribution of wealth and free nationalized healthcare. The core of liberalism ideology-ObamaCare has been a massive failure and so has Obama’s policies. Utter failure and job killers,. The American people have witnessed what liberalism is all about under Obama and have rejected it.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Roosevelt, you want the Republican Party to become the Democratic Party Lite with no difference except for social issues. You want the difference to be in pastel colors not bold colors like Reagan expoused..

FranInAtlanta July 12, 2014 at 12:25 pm

First, I am a longtime (well over 50 years) Republican and, when winning the Dem Primary was tantamount to election, I regularly voted in the Dem Primary, then usually voted for the Repub in November. Sometimes, when winning the Dem Primary for some office is tantamount, I still vote in the Dem Primary, then vote for the Repub (if there is one) in November. And, sometimes for some offices, I vote in the Repub Primary and then vote for a Dem in November. My obligation, as a voter, is to do my part to provide us with the best government that I can. My personal opinion is that mischief voting (Dems voting for Broun as some discussed) is immoral but in no way is it illegal. And the Dems who voted for Cochran in Mississippi were doing nothing different from what I have done many times.

Second, McDaniel himself would not pledge to support Cochran in November – so he might as well be quiet about what others did.

Bridget Cantrell July 12, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I’ve decided to vote for David Perdue in the primary because I want Michelle Nunn to win. Same thing.

Sorry I’m not sorry.

The Last Democrat in Georgia July 13, 2014 at 1:40 am
RooseveltRepublicanLiberal July 12, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Welfare? Illegal Votes? Have you heard about open primary? Anyone has the right to vote for a certain candidate in the republican party. I don’t get this concept that McDaniel rightfully won, it was Sen. Cochran who won the nomination by “appealing”. On the other hand, McDaniel is just too crazy, even for Mississippi.

George Chidi July 12, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Debbie. You’re a friend and I respect your sense of personal discretion. You, personally, are a moral and honorable advocate for your views, even when we may disagree. I trust you personally to understand the line between “interviewing” a voter and intimidating one.

Some of your fellow travelers on the right … not so much.

Hice’s views should scare the pants off of anyone to the left of Ted Cruz. The general alarum about his impending nomination should be no surprise. The law in Georgia calls for open primaries. There’s no loyalty test. It’s not illegal for a habitual Democratic voter to pull a Republican ballot. One might argue that doing so is how habitual Democrats become Republicans.

Sit down with a lawyer or two, then train your activists mightily and carefully to understand the distinction between watching voters and intimidating them. Because now that I’ve seen this, I’m going to have to mobilize a team of my own to watch the watchmen. That’s no joke and I ain’t kiddin’.

If your people start taking the law into their own hands, you’re going to commit an act of news.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 4:48 pm

No intimation at all. Politely and with respect ask if they would like to be interviewed when they leave the polling place. Ask everyone
Don’t interview going in just exiting. Ask people that agree to interviews if they will mind telling what impacted their decision. This will be very useful to help with messaging. The people I know will follow the instructions. Only getting 10.

It is not illegal unless they voted in the Democratic Primary but it will be very useful to use .

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 5:04 pm

It is also my thinking that if a candidate wins the GOP Primary because he paid someone to cross over then he should depend on the same Dems to win the General. Keep in mind Congressmen face election every two years.

Noway July 12, 2014 at 11:37 am

“and it is illegal to vote in the GOP Primary when you have the intention of voting for the Democrat in November”

With respect, Debbie, I have a hard time believing what you said here is in the actual Mississippi criminal code. No way.

What if I initially voted in the GOP primary then simply changed my mind and then supported the Dem in the general? Nobody tells anybody who they can vote for in any general election!

Ain’t nobody going to jail for that act.

If I’m wrong can you cite the statute?

Again with respect, the TP and GOP should stop whining about mischief tactics when the GOP gleefully Majetted McKinney!!

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 11:49 am

There are interviews of people leaving the voting locations saying they voted for Cochran but were planning on voting for the Democrat in November. Did they change their minds that fast? It is law in Mississippi that if you vote for someone in the primary then you agree to support him in the General. check it out. Also it is illegal to vote in one party’s primary then turn around and vote in another party’s runoff. That took place as well. Then there is vote buying. Someone actually came forward that showed text messages from a Cochran staffer regarding paying money ..

No, we aren’t going to stop even if it costs the GOP control of the Senate.

Noway July 12, 2014 at 11:54 am

I get the part about voting in one party’s primary you cannot vote in the other party’s runoff, but are you saying that if I vote GOP or Dem in the primary, I gotta vote for them four months later in the general?

I want to be clear….

If, in the general, I pull the proverbial curtain and cast my secret ballot…and I decide at the last minute to change my mind, you’re saying I have lost my freedom to change my vote? And by doing so, I have committed a criminal act?

Is that right?

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 11:58 am

Please read what I posted Noway. There are countless video interviews of Democrats saying either before the went and voted or after they came out that they had not intention of supporting the GOP nominee in November. We are not talking about months. We are talking about minutes.

Noway July 12, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I read what you posted, Deb. I’m not shooting you as the messenger. But nobody can tell a citizen who they can vote for unless it’s in the technical aspect of not having them vote in one party’s primary then sneaking over and voting in the other party’s primary runoff.

Trust me, I understand that part and agree with it.

But if I’m Joe Blow in Mississippi and I’m a Dem and for pure political calculus, I legally vote in the GOP primary in this election cycle and I come out and tell the reporter, I did just that because I wanted to send the perceived weaker candidate to face my Dem candidate, who I’m really, truly supporting in the general, ain’t no way in hell any rational district attorney is actually gonna take the case of the State of Mississppi v Joe Blow for the crime of changing his vote in the November general election!

That’s so insanely stupid, it almost makes me pee my pants with laughter (thank God for my Depends, right?) and if the GOP in Miss is honestly thinking they can score legal points for the changing a vote in a secret ballot from the original primary choice to the new general election choice, this is a fantastic example of why Miss is ranked 50th in every important statistical measure of any-damn-thing!!

Jeez-Maneez!

Noway July 12, 2014 at 12:28 pm

All I can so is “So what?” and not in a snarky way to you. I remember seeing the same videos of Repubs coming out of the voting booth grinning like the Cheshire Cat and bragging to the same kind of reporter that they voted for Majette to get rid of McKinney!!
They knew that their support of Majette for a political stunt/farce and it wasn’t illegal, it was smart politics.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Noway, read my comments below and go to the links.

John Vestal July 12, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Just finished perusing the relevant sections of Mississippi Code 23-15-571 thru 23-15-579, and here’s what I gather from it:

23-15-575 does state “No person shall be eligible to participate in any primary election unless he intends to support the nominations made in the primary in which he participates”, but it appears to only provide for the opportunity to challenge, at the poll, the validity of a cast primary ballot if the voter openly and freely makes it known that they do not intend to support the nominee of the party whose ballot they selected. Nobody is allowed to simply ask voters their intent, absent any declaration on their part. The application of the challenge process in the case where such a declaration *is* made would only potentially result in the rejection of that primary ballot. There is certainly no legal restriction or obligation put on the voter regarding the subsequent general election; i.e., they may vote however they wish or choose to not vote at all.

Buzz Brockway July 14, 2014 at 2:01 pm

So it’s against the law in Mississippi to change your mind in between the primary and general election? That seems like an impossible law to enforce. I suppose those folks on CNN who voted for Cochran in the runoff but said they had no plans to vote for him in November could be in trouble but other than that how do you enforce this?

Salmo July 12, 2014 at 2:52 pm

“No, we aren’t going to stop even if it costs the GOP control of the Senate.”

This lifelong Georgia Republican is going to be glad when these populists go back to voting for Democrats and causing them internal consternation. Based on Debbie’s comments about supporting the Democrat it Mississippi (she must have moved there right after she moved from Snellville to Blue Ridge, I suppose, given her interest in elections that have nothing to do with her previous home district and state), it sounds like she’s already halfway there. These folks are trying to redefine the word conservative in its original Burkeian sense.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I have been a Republican activist since 1976 but my loyalty is to God, family and country – not the GOP. Not after Mississippi

So you want tea party activists to leave the GOP and vote Democrat for all races ?

Harry July 12, 2014 at 11:50 am

It’s evidently in the MS statute, but obviously unenforceable. The main issue in the current pushback are people who pulled a ballot in the Democratic primary and then switched to the GOP runoff ballot which is illegal, and can be enforced. It appears there was a widespread and concerted effort to break the law. Many counties are not cooperating to turn over the evidence, so there is indication of engineering a cover up as well. The question is, to what extent if any was/is the Cochran campaign involved in this business?

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 12:11 pm

More information about Mississippi is at the links below. Anyone that claims that what happened in Mississippi was simply the GOP trying to expand the tent has been smoking something far too long..

Vote Buying tied to Cochran

The NRSC was involved. Read the articles below the top article to see the extent.
NRSC Funds Another Preacher in Cochran Race Baiting Scheme

Do you really believe the laws were not broken?

Harry July 12, 2014 at 12:22 pm

The logical next step would be a meaningful investigation, but that’s not gonna happen. Therefore, the only recourse to MS conservatives is withhold support from Cochran in November.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 12:27 pm

The money is there to appeal to the courts. Think of the televised court hearings talking about what Barbour, Cochran and the NRSC did and being blasted out nation wide. Imagine how it would impact GOP chances in Mississippi in November. It has the ability to impact other state races as well. It also the ability to impact races in other states.

If the same thing is going on in the 10th – look out !!

Harry July 12, 2014 at 12:35 pm

It would be nice to see further developments, but I don’t have very much confidence in the lamestream media to carry any of our water on coverage; they are dependent on establishment FCC monopoly granting and other regulatory policies as well as the politically correct advertisers. Just look at how they made a major case out of Bush’s Katrina, but are ignoring the Obama-caused human catastrophe of the Central American kids.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Tru The Vote has filed lawsuits against the Mississippi GOP and Mississippi Secretary of State.

They have been apprised of what is going on in the 10th..

Noway July 12, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Deb, Just one more question and I’ll leave you alone. And I apologize if your links answer this question but I only scanned them.
Are their lawsuits being filed for alleged vote buying and for those who voted in the Dem primary subsequently voting in the Repub runoff?
Are those the two areas of concern? Thanks.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 6:55 pm
debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 11:38 am

I am working with African Americans opposing the Atlanta Falcons deal. There are many in historic African American neighborhoods being displaced . There are historic African American churches being torn down to make room for the stadium. I have spoken at forums with leaders in this area. What I found is that there are some that agree with what I believe 75% of the time. They don’t want a handout from government. They want a hand up. They don’t like the GOP because they view it as a party of rich white men that cater only to big business.

Look at the public funding being spent on the Falcons stadium. wouldn’t the money be put to better use to use it for revitalizing areas around the current stadium or be used for MARTA or for transportation instead of building a stadium for a billionaire that can afford to build it himself ?

Darryl July 12, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Dear Peach Pundit,

Let me comment here as one of “they” African Americans and one of those who was involved at the inception of the original T.E.A. party movement.

They/We in the black community are not favored, nor aligned with any party because all political parties have not done right by Black Americans since LBJ.. and we know what he did and said about the 200 year vote. This is not a post-racist society. It won’t just “go away” if you stop talking about it… you just can pretend it’s not there.. if you are not exposed to it. Racism IS alive and well, and it’s just gone underground and people don’t wear it on their sleeve as much.

Having said that, Black folks want to be treated equally in the things that help develop prosperity and build stronger families and communities. They way we can help our fellow Americans who are most adversely affected by the illegal immigration and increasing HB1 visas, etc, is to:

1. Stop what you are doing this weekend and go to a black church.. IN MASS. That’s right. Go and worship with black people who share your christian values. Don’t think about it, don’t wait for a vote.. just do it and do it proudly and by the 100′s. That ONE act alone, will create fault lines under the polarization of Georgia and the lack of faith in America.

2. Aggregate Judicial Awareness. (You can ask me how to do this later)

3. Promote and mentor conservative economics. (Those who know should be teaching others)

4. Bring back Christian pancake breakfasts and mass fellowships outside a single national day of prayer, and use them to promote family, share family concepts, issues, parenting, education, loving each other, caring for our neighborhood kids like our own, caring for our community by sharing neighborhood organization and participation events.

5. Announce and be proud of your activities in Steps 1 – 4.

6. Rinse and repeat 1-5.

Whether you are racist or not, the actions of others affect you and involve you. It is amazing to me how the call of a racist TEA Party has been inadequately answered by.. the TEA Party itself. That’s because the media is calling people TEA Party who are not. There is the TEA Party Nation, Express, NET, Patriots.. and all manner of a sidecar to the original TEA Party movement. It is time that we put that to an end. The movement has been recognized as it should, now it’s time to put it back on its original footing. Step 1.. with all due respect.. Jenny Beth Martin and Debbie Dooley.. are .. not… the.. T.E.A. Party.. and the best thing they can do for our country is to make that fact known loud and clear to all media everywhere and at least separate themselves as entities that do not necessarily reflect the TEA Party movement. The TEA Party movement has no ownership of a singular person, therefore anyone making money off the the TEA Party should be ashamed of themselves. What we started here 5 years ago is certainly not what the world thinks of today when they hear this crap about the TEA Party having candidates, being racist, kooks and right wing extremists.

Having said that, I find it interesting that any of the sidecar groups would cry foul about the GOP getting votes from black folks and similarly unimpressed if true, that the GOP would use fear of the TEA Party to recruit black folks to win an election. Both moves show how political farce has been taken to a whole new level where the harmonics of a silent constituency is deafening and destructive, if not terminal to our way of life.

That’s my input, in all humility. I do pray more than I used to.

We miss each other in conversation too much. I am not perfect, not by a long shot, and despite my suggestive actions for other leaders here, I admire their courage to take the lead up to this point.

I have to acknowledge that I may not even be right, but I would be further wrong if I didn’t speak up. Something I am sure we could all do a lot more.

c_murrayiii July 13, 2014 at 4:20 am

For what its worth, I actually agree with you on the stadium issue. Taking money from the City and State to increase Mr. Blank’s networth is pretty awful. And I just love the Dome.

RooseveltRepublicanLiberal July 12, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Broaden the tent? The current republican party is basically a white southern party who has verbally abused various groups: minorities, women, liberals, non-southerners, youth, and etc. Reform the party and once again champion the causes of republicans Lincoln and Roosevelt, who put the racist white south in its place by militarizing it and champion progressive ideas like universal healthcare. President Theodore Roosevelt was the first president to call for action about creating a law that provides everyone with subsidized healthcare. Also, void any talk about states rights, which the dixies always complain about. Originally, the republican party was not a state’s rights party, but to have a strong centralized federal government. The great President Eisenhower was a true republican, by sending the US Army to the southern states for forced integration. Return to the original roots, not in the direction of the tea party crazies.

Darryl July 12, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Missed timing to edit.. I left out that sharing prayer before a shared meal.. however brief.. is a way to share humility and break down walls. We have to get to the table and share our faith in God and in each other. I am not the most religious person in the area, my wife I can’t hold a candle to, so don’t take this as if I am. I still know faithfully and logically that God is necessary in all of this.. somehow.. somewhere.

Harry July 12, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Darryl,
Thanks for your comments. As a somewhat old and conservative white man with all the baggage, I hope that you and me can one day break bread and have fellowship together.

The Last Democrat in Georgia July 12, 2014 at 7:29 pm
debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Darryl you should really check your facts before you go on your rants. To begin with I volunteer my time on behalf of the tea party. I have never been paid by TPP . I volunteer my time just like everyone else. No one owns or represents the tea party movement including you. I was one of 22 nationally that was there from the very beginning. When I speak, I speak on behalf on behalf of the tea party I help found. We just happen to be the oldest and largest tea party in Georgia. The tea party is bottom up so there is not one person that dictates what you must do so tea party’s are free to be what their members want it to be. If you don’t like the direction of some tea parties, then get off your duff and start one that will be what you want it to be. Don’t sit on your couch and criticize those that built their tea party.

Darryl July 15, 2014 at 1:54 am

Well Debbie.. try taking some of your own advice..

My post stated…
“the TEA Party movement has no ownership of a singular person, therefore anyone making money off the the TEA Party should be ashamed of themselves.”

I did not name you as taking money.. I don’t know why you went defensive on that.. but hey, if you feel the shoe fits, then who am I to question you?

Additionally, you can go ahead and make your claim about your TEA Party break out group.. it’s valid exactly as you state.. and exactly my point… [I was one of 22 nationally that was there from the very beginning]. You were 22 of what exactly? If you want to start checking facts, we can start there… whenever you are ready.

I guess you have no problem with the rest of my “rant” as you call it, except the piece where you felt you were being criticized. You will note that there were not only issues identified, but solutions presented.

And leave my duff alone.. you have no idea what I do every day for the freedom of this nation. I at least gave you some credit for being a leader… I guess you didn’t read that part either.. or are my facts off there as well?

Hmmmm….

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 3:24 pm

So Darryl and Roosevelt you basically want the Republican to become a clone of the Democrat Party except for social issues ?

I am amazed that people are shocked that our culture has gone down hill and that a lot of that violence comes from kids. I believe our nation’s morals began eroding when God was taken out of the classroom and children were taught they came monkeys

John Vestal July 12, 2014 at 4:01 pm

#facefnpalm

Will Durant July 14, 2014 at 5:07 pm

So our culture has been going downhill since Scopes, almost a century ago now? I knew you were negative on everything under the sun but have you considered an anti-depressant? Sometimes religion isn’t enough when there is a chemical unbalance.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Darryl, Roosevelt, the tea party is so racist they supported Herman Cain for President, love Alan West and Dr. Carson. If Obama was white and we criticized him like we do now, would you still say we are racist ? I could care less what the pigmentation of his skin is- it his policies that are failures and wrong. In case you haven’t noticed we have been pretty critical of white elected officials

tribeca July 12, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Thanks for breaking out the “we can’t be racist, we have a handful of black friends” argument… Been waiting for it all day.

The modern GOP has earned a reputation for consistently dog whistling and riding racial paranoia to electoral victory. It’s why the “Solid South” began its conversion from blue to red after LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act. Racial pandering was Atwater’s m.o., it’s how you convince Southern whites to vote against their economic best interest. (I pause to point out that Southern politicians have always used racial paranoia to win elections and control white voters… the difference nowadays is that those politicians have changed party affiliation. (For law/poli sci nerds there’s an interesting paper to be written about the elimination of the white primary accelerating the exodus of whites from the Democratic Party))….

My point is, the tea party has been loudly advocating the same positions Atwater designed to rile up the racist sentiments of rural and Southern voters. You can’t explain away numerous policies which are harmful to poor urban citizens (a demographic comprised largely by minorities) by pointing to the three or four black people you find “acceptable.”

tribeca July 12, 2014 at 8:29 pm

For the record, I’m not calling Debbie or anyone else a racist. The whole the “tea party is racist” trope has to do with the organization’s collective advocacy of policies that disproportionately impact minorities, and vitriolic attacks on President Obama that stem from skin color and not policy (claims that he’s a Muslim, not American, etc.). As others have said, it’s a diversion from the initial message, but that’s what you get when you allow race baiters like Hannity and Limbaugh glom on

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 8:44 pm

And you can’t explain away how ObamaCare and Obama’s policies have been harmful to America and the majority of Americans Just because you favor certain policies doesn’t mean you are racist. You are the one advancing the racist stereotype that only African Americans are poor and use entitlements. The majority of people using entitlements are white. There are poor everywhere not just in the urban areas. But then you only care about the urban areas

ObamaCare is the most harmful to the poor. They will be the forced to use the sub standard hospitals and doctors that will accept ObamaCare/Medicaid. The middle and upper income can afford to pay out of pocket for good medical care.

Obama’s immigration policies will hurt the poor, low skilled workers the most. Shouldn’t the poor stuck in gang ridden areas be given amnesty to move elsewhere and granted sanctuary or is that only reserved for those that cross our borders illegally ? Obama wants to grant amnesty to those in our country illegally. The majority are low skilled workers that will work cheap. Who does that impact? Who will they be competing for jobs with ?

If Obama has his way and the illegals are given entitlements, that will put a strain on the already maxed out entitlement system so there will be cut backs and poor Americans will see their benefits cut back.

Obama’s policies have hurt African American young people the hardest. The job market is so bleak because of his policies people have stopped looking for jobs.

Obama’s policies have hurt the poor far more than the policies of the tea party or the Republican Party

tribeca July 12, 2014 at 9:04 pm

ObamaCare is the way it is because Republicans refused to offer constructive input and spent the majority of time whining like petulant children. Democrats lacked the cajones to forge ahead with single payer (something we may be moving to thanks to Hobby Lobby) so we’re stuck with a version of healthcare that Dems figured they could get some Republican buy in on. I personally enjoy the coverage I’m getting under ObamaCare and so do most of my friends/colleagues. The harm ObamaCare is inflicting on the poor arises from folks like Deal refusing to expand Medicaid and improve access… But you’re right Obama is the boogeyman, Deal is being fiscally responsible by deciding some folks aren’t worth covering.

It’s hard to judge a lot of Obama’s policies since they’ve either been stalled, killed or watered down by Congress (immigration reform, por ejemplo). But, for me personally, the CFPB is sorely needed, I’m a fan of his attempts at student loan reform (still mad Warren’s bill was killed, btw), the new EPA regs are a step in the right direction, and have generally found his handling of the recovery to be competent to fair.

I didn’t say all blacks are poor, I said that policies which undercut beneficial social programs, oppose public transportation, maintain income inequality, and drain money from public education disproportionately impact minorities. This is because minorities are more likely to be poor, underemployed, and undereducated. There’s great literature on the systemic reasons behind this phenomenon.

Also, when did this become about undocumented workers?

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Well I am healthy and live a healthy life style and my insurance premiums doubled because of ObamaCare so you know what I did? I cancelled my insurance. When I am taxed for not having insurance I plan on filing a lawsuit challenging the legality of the individual mandate. ObamaCare punishes those that lead a healthy lifestyle. We have to subsidize those the are drug abusers and that lead a unhealthy lifestyle

Deal was correct in not expanding medicaid and it was the fiscally responsible thing to do.. ObamaCare is a failure and a job killer.

I support public transportation and think the tax dollars used to help build the Falcons should have gone to MARTA or transportation and to revitalize the historic areas around the downtown area. I oppose income equality. If I work hard I don’t believe I should share my income with those that don’t. If you believe in redistribution of wealth then France is the place for you. I believe that school vouchers should be allowed, particularly in the poor areas where schools are failing or even better give real school choice and allow students to go the the school of their choice as long as it is in Georgia. Mayor Reed wasn’t too concerned about the Atlanta City Schools when they gave Arthur Blank a property tax break on the Falcons stadium. They took money from the children in Atlanta Public Schools and gave it to Arthur Blank. I disagree with the fact that whenever a new power plant or sports stadium is built, they usually build it in poor areas because the poor don’t have the resources or knowledge to fight it. I think that is plain wrong. That is one reason I am helping oppose what went on with the Falcons stadium. The stadium should not be built with public money unless approved by the voters and it should benefit the neighborhoods where people will be displaced.

The majority of Americans do not agree with you on the job Obama has done. The latest approval numbers from Gallup show 53% disapprove of the job Obama is doing and only 42% approve of the job he is doing.

Obama is near the unpopularity level Bush was at

notsplost July 12, 2014 at 10:17 pm

The irony of Obama is that his policies in large part mirror those of Bush II. On spying/privacy, foreign wars and neo-liberal economic trade deals that screw the poor blind while enriching huge multi-national corporations, there is no difference.

So it is a bit of just desserts that his approval ratings are heading to the abyss. I predict his last year in office will be much like Bush’s, with a monstrous economic crisis as the chickens of Federal Reserve easy money and European Sovereign debt crises come home to roost.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Totally agree notsplost. There are many that protested Bush policies but support the very same policies Obama implemented.

RooseveltRepublicanLiberal July 12, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Obamacare is basically a republican idea. The Affordable Care Act, also knows as Obamacare, was written by the republican think tank, Heritage Foundation. Republicans have disowned their own idea, even calling it “communist”. They have obstructed every single piece of legislation, since President Obama took office. The republican party as of right now is dysfunctional, they are practically the party of no. They even shut down the federal government and the country has almost defaulted by increasing the debt ceiling. If the country defaulted, we would have been in a worldwide economic depression for decades. Why do you bring the undocumented immigrants in this discussion, that is just plain nonsense. This is a country of immigrants, they built this country themselves. They want a better life for themselves and that determination to be successful will make the US much better.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Thank God they have obstructed bad legislation of our nation would be worse off. Obama with his executive orders essentially taking over duties of the Legislative branch has set a precedent and so has the conduct of the IRS. If Obama gets away with it, then that means in 2016 when a Republican is elected they can turn the tables and do the same thing as Obama did – abuse executive orders and sick the IRS on the liberals…

ObamaCare is a bad idea, I don’t care who thought of it. We are in a worldwide depression now.
I support legal immigration and believe the process should be streamlined and employers that want to bring in labor should have to foot the bill for healthcare not the tax payer.
I am pointing out Obama’s bad policies. Not every African American believes like you do on illegal immigration. they get it.

Darryl July 15, 2014 at 1:58 am

Did you even READ my post? Really???

notsplost July 12, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Well this is certainly an interesting discussion. Not sure what I have to add but I’ll try to add something.

First of all at this point in time I believe that the term “Tea Party” is being used more as a label and to demonize anyone on the right who isn’t in line with the Chamber of Commerce agenda. It is a term that generates more heat than light.

I remember back in 2008-09 when the original protest idea to send every Congress critter an envelope full of tea originated. It didn’t come from Glenn Beck, it wasn’t Rush Limbaugh’s idea, it wasn’t even Rick Santelli’s legendary rant on CNBC, although that may have been a kind of coming out party. It originated on a forum I used to belong to that was dedicated to trading run by a guy down in Florida.

From my vantage point the idea had nothing to do with left/right. It was outrage at the bailouts, the TARP, the Federal Reserve and the idea that certain corporations were “too big to fail.” Many were just plain disgusted with Bush and Hank Paulsen (former treasury sec) and the way they refused to allowed market forces to work. It had a lot in common with progressive thinkers like Bernie Sanders and Michael Moore. The financial crisis revealed a lot about the way power is abused and how social justice still needs to be served in this country.

Of course that initial thing morphed into something else. The movement got co-opted and abused by the mainstream GOP as a way to hammer President Obama, perhaps deservedly so but not in the spirit of the original idea. Some GOP candidates ran as “tea partiers” but once they got to D.C. they got enamored with power and just moved to the mushy middle.

Many grass roots tea-party activists just want to see some movement towards a smaller Federal government and a return to free market principles. Some of us like myself are realizing that we have more in common with progressives like Yves Smith and if we work with the progressive left we might not get cooties. We might get some things accomplished.

This scares the power hungry Chamber of Commerce types, thus the drive to crush the tea party this year.

I’ve gone on too long so I’ll stop before the moderators kick me out of here, hopefully.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Very well said notsplost

The Last Democrat in Georgia July 12, 2014 at 7:33 pm
MattMD July 12, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Is there a full moon tonight?

Why are we even talking about the Falcon’s new stadium? I believe initial construction has begun.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I believe there are law suits pending on the Bond issuance and I know the interveners plan to take it all the way to the GA Supreme Court and that mans no bonds will be issued before the deadline

I also believe that every time a tax increase is proposed, those that object will point to the Falcons Stadium as a misuse of tax dollars…

MattMD July 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Great, Debbie, obstruct all you want but in Atlanta, when the government and private sector agree on something, things actually get done. The vast majority of the tax money is from the hotel/motel tax in Fulton, you cannot use that on MARTA, etc. Do you really think the GA Supreme Court is going to intervene? Get real and get off the drugs.

You Tea Party clowns like to talk about the Constitution but I doubt any of you could write a paper about it which would pass a 9th grade government class.

notsplost July 14, 2014 at 9:14 am

Why the ad-hominem attack? Can’t make your argument with logic and reason?

The only thing I see “getting done” here is wealth redistribution, from the pockets of those staying in hotels/motels to a private NFL franchise worth billions and whose owner probably sets stacks of $100 bills on fire during the winter to keep himself warm.

I will grant you that the hotel/motel tax was at least authorized by the General Assembly, who in their infinite wisdom decided that wealth redistribution from the merely well-to-do to top 0.00000001% was somehow in the “public interest.”

Unless you are familiar with all the details of the legal arcana associated with bond validation proceedings, you might want to refrain from calling others names.

MattMD July 14, 2014 at 2:03 pm

What are you talking about? The private contribution to the stadium is around 800M, IIRC. I think 40% of the Fulton H/M tax is going towards the stadium (around 200M).

I’ve read plenty of Debbie’s posts and I think I am well within my right to call her a clown. Are you a part of the circus as well?

notsplost July 14, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I’ll leave it to the moderators to decide whether accusing other posters of being on drugs is civil discourse.

Your points are lost when all you do is attack the person, not the ideas behind them.

Why should any public money go to build a private stadium? Again I concede that at least it seems to be somewhat limited (17% of the total project cost, or something to that effect) in this particular case. Plus the GA did authorize it, at least putting a veneer of legality to it.

Your friendly neighborhood circus monkey.

Jane July 12, 2014 at 8:05 pm

The GOP has organized more counties that Dems. So if anyone is a regional party it is the Dems.

The Last Democrat in Georgia July 12, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Good post, Mr. Richards…

If, because of mounting demographic challenges in Metro Atlanta, the Georgia GOP thinks that its electoral future is in rural areas with sparse and declining populations then the party really is screwed long-term.

South Fulton Guy July 12, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Many of you are missing the point on the “Big Tent” issue. Until the Fulton County GOP embraces South Fulton Black Republicans as an example, any pandering to Democrat Blacks is folly and a waste of time.

As an example there seems to be little or no willingness to support the Republican candidates for the Fulton County Chair “Earl Cooper” and District 6 “Abe Watson” at all.

One one wonders where is the “Fix Fulton” effort or has the party decided that they want a 17% tax increase and for Democrat Chair John Eaves and Emma Darnell to be re-elected. I do not understand why the Fulton GOP is writing off a majority with the Fulton County Commission.

Is it apathy, arrogance, incompetence or a false narrative of expanding the tent? Please someone tell me why Joe Cortes, Roger Bond and the Fulton GOP have decided that they do not have the commitment to a majority in the Fulton County Commission.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Contact me. SFG I will grant you access to software that you can use on your smart phone when going door to door. It will have the Hard R’s list or any other criteria you give me. I also have some phone numbers.

Darryl July 15, 2014 at 2:11 am

South Fulton Guy,
It’s not a waste of time. I don’t think you meant that literally. There are many efforts that are ongoing to bring the GOP of various counties, particularly in North Georgia, into the present. These efforts may not have huge successes as you may envision, but I believe they have given rise to having a candidate like Earl Cooper on the ballot. All efforts should continue and join up wherever alignment makes sense to do so. The commitment you seek, is out there.. and it’s making a difference.. just not as fast and as wholesale as we would like. I hope the momentum picks up every month from this point on.. or we may find ourselves in another race calling the landslide that backfires. We have much to do, but at least we are doing it from a variety of perspectives and that’s appealing to voters over the one-shoe-fits-all-you-sit-back-cause-I-got-this Democrats.

Ivybelle July 12, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Dear Debbie,

Dear Debbie,

Your wind is all hot.

You huff and you puff and your eyes bug a lot.

You moan and you groan but the folks all are sane.

We just shake our heads, we don’t buy your refrain.

Signed,

I’m laughing

As far as I can tell, no one voted for Ken Dious in the Democratic primary. He ran unopposed. Therefore, all voters are fair game in this run-off. There’s noting wrong with exercising your right to vote. PERIOD!

Ivybelle July 12, 2014 at 10:56 pm

This is what happens when districts are gerrymandered. When the winner of the General is determined in the Primary, such as in the 10th, voters have no option but crossing over if they want their voice heard.

debbie0040 July 13, 2014 at 11:26 am

Ok to exercise your right to vote and vote for the one that is not the most conservative. It is also fair game to inform voters that Obama Dems prefer Mike Collins.

If the Establishment Republicans are ok If dems cross over in the primary then maybe conservatives should cross over in the general..

Ivybelle July 13, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Whatever floats your “conservative” boat, Ma’am. Vote however you please. You won’t hear me crying foul if you cross over.

xdog July 13, 2014 at 8:01 am

Appreciate the lyrics, Ivybelle.

debbie0040 July 13, 2014 at 11:21 am

Dear Ivybelle,

The election results are plan to see

Reading is really the key

You talk about things you don’t know

Are you really that slow?

15,965 Dems voted that day

Now what do you say?

Signed,

Rolling on the floor in laughter

Ivybelle July 13, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Thank you, Miss Debbie, for proving those vote totals. I searched for a half-hour last night for those to no avail. Muchos gracias, senorita. :)

RooseveltRepublicanLiberal July 13, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Es “Muchas gracias, señorita”. ;)

TheEiger July 14, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Please stop. Please.

debbie0040 July 13, 2014 at 11:42 am

Dear Ivybelle,

I noticed that to Peach Pundit you are brand new

Did the Collins campaign recruit you ?

Ivybelle July 13, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I’m a new poster but not a new reader. Something about your bloviating riled me to response.

I’m absolutely not a Collins plant/recruit. It’s funny how you immediately go there. Truth of the matter, as a resident of the 10th, I deeply hope Jody Hice does not win the run-off. All too well I remember his failed fight against the ACLU and the embarrassment and debt that came with it. Anyone that brings the Klan to town is on my 5hit-list…..forever.

debbie0040 July 13, 2014 at 11:44 am

The bottom line is that Mike Collins will be a pawn of the chamber of commerce and big business. Jody Hice will not… Never realized Dems liked policies of big business and the chamber

Bridget Cantrell July 13, 2014 at 11:55 am

Debbie,

Step back and think. You endorsed Jack Kingston – THE chamber of commerce guy. PICK a methodology and be consistent. Just damn.

debbie0040 July 13, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I am comfortable that Jack won’t be a pawn of the chamber. I won’t back down either.

debbie0040 July 13, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Whoever sent this is in violation of Federal Election Law and Georgia law. The mail piece does not identify who sent it. A criminal investigation is in order.

I have to believe that this may not even have been sent by Democrats. If Democrats raised enough money to send this mail piece they would know enough about federal election law to know that it is illegal not to identify who sent the mail piece. This mail piece is advocating for the voter to vote in the GOP Primary and vote against Hice. That is considered electioneering communication.

I believe this mail piece was sent by someone other than Democrats. Someone that wanted to keep their identity secret even though they know they were violating federal election law. Someone that wanted Democrats to get the blame for it.. Now who could that be ?

Three Jack July 14, 2014 at 11:07 am

If I remember correctly, State Senator John Wiles introduced and passed legislation removing the requirement to attribute someone or an organization on political mail (it is a 1st Amendment thing). HB1112 / 2008.

debbie0040 July 14, 2014 at 1:56 pm

This is a federal election and it is required. There are over 395,000 registered voters in the 10th District..

Whoever sent this wanted to make it look like the Dems violated election law and sent it. Don’t believe for a moment it was sent by Dems.

This advisory opinion was written in 2010

Three Jack July 14, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Debbie,

I was refering to this line from your post – “Whoever sent this is in violation of Federal Election Law and Georgia law”. I have no idea what fed law requires on direct mail, but from what I know, Georgia no longer has any requirements which is a good thing.

debbie0040 July 14, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Direct mail is considered electioneering if it meets criteria and that mail piece does. It asks voters to take action in an election and asks them to vote against a candidate. It even included an application for an absentee ballot.

I am going by the opinion above that was written in 2010 on the Ethics Commission site.

There needs to be an investigation of that mail piece and whoever sent it should face punishment. We aren’t stopping pushing after the primary run off no matter who wins.. This will be an issue that will continue.

Three Jack July 14, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Fight on if it makes you feel better but here is the law as it stands in GA – Section 12 was eliminated relating to identification on distributed campaign materials in “ANY” election – http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/display/20072008/HB/1112 – Thanks to John Wiles, Austin Scott, Mark Hamilton and others for ending this unconstitutional practice a few years back.

Did you support the GOP effort to have Republican voters cast ballots against Cynthia McKinney when Denise Majette won due to that action?

debbie0040 July 14, 2014 at 3:14 pm

So ThreeJack, are you saying Georgia law trumps federal law in a federal election? You wrote ANY in caps so it seems like you are saying it does. So that means Georgia can completely repeal Obamacare in our borders by simply passing legislation?

There are still financial disclosure laws….

Three Jack July 14, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Debbie,

Like I posted earlier, I have no idea about federal law. The GA statute refers to ‘ANY’ election as in (emphasis added by me), “(a) No person shall distribute, circulate, disseminate, or publish or cause to be distributed, circulated, disseminated, or published any literature in connection with any political campaign for any public office or question unless such literature shall bear the name and address of the person or organization distributing, circulating, disseminating, publishing,…”

This language along with the rest of Sec. 12 was eliminated via HB1112 / 2008 thus rendering that unconstitutional provision null and void.

Will Durant July 14, 2014 at 5:14 pm

“The promotion of social welfare does not include direct or indirect participation or intervention in political campaigns on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office.” — IRS

saltycracker July 13, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I go with David McCullough’s (1776) view on politicians, what we need is authenticity.

Politicians need to follow the core beliefs of their party, not the extreme or fundamentalist factions and reflect that vision culture and society in the public’s best interest of freedom and pursuit of happiness.

The Democrats are not even in the ballpark and the Republicans that are, don’t play by rules the average citizen thought they said they would.

The approval ratings are a clue as they both play the game of redistribution – in opposite directions.

South Fulton Guy July 14, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I guess the answer from Fulton GOP residents is that they are content with status quo. So much for fixing Fulton….

The Last Democrat in Georgia July 14, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Fulton County, GA = Cook County, IL

…Not a good comparison in any case.

griftdrift July 14, 2014 at 7:21 pm

” children were taught they came monkeys ”

It always comes out eventually

Darryl July 15, 2014 at 2:48 am

Let’s get back to trying for a bigger tent shall we?
It’s too easy to dump on the less fortunate, even in this thread.

I gave some examples of how we can, as Republicans, get access to the black community by providing the black community access to jobs, education and justice. I hope that we focus on gaining friends and neighbors that value our way of life, for life and not try to win over a subgroup for individual elections.

In my humble opinion, I believe there are many more conservative minorities than liberal ones. And maybe we need to embrace leadership perspectives on what America should be and let that join or at least equal the chorus that keeps telling us what it isn’t.

WeymanCWannamakerJr July 15, 2014 at 4:09 am

Well it should be obvious to you from this whole thread that the tent isn’t going to get any bigger if the Republicans keep allowing certain TEA drinkers to be their gatekeepers. I honestly can’t figure out how they keep getting away with their claims to not be Republicans in one breath while name calling others as RINOs in the next one.

debbie0040 July 15, 2014 at 10:33 am

I think GA GOP outreach went out the window when that law suit was filed. I know the person that filed it and she is not someone to go out and make wild claims because she doesn’t like something.

It is quiet disturbing that the KKK is in town recruiting members. Can’t tell you how many threats I received from groups like that because I told them they were not welcomed at tea party rallies. We should be joining forces with those on the left and denounce their presence and recruiting efforts in Georgia. I will recruit tea party activists and the left can recruit their members and let’s hold a joint press conference denouncing their efforts. The KKK has their 1st Amendment rights, but we also have 1st Amendment rights to speak out against them..

It is called principle and it is policy over party. Guys like you WCWJr want activists to vote Republican in the general election then walk away and not hold elected officials accountable for their campaign promises. I have no qualms about voting for a Democrat if I thought he was the best candidate. Republicans are supposed to stand for ethical government. Apparently some GA Republicans didn’t get that message. When news broke last night about Holly LeBerge, many Republicans were trying to kill the messenger instead demanding an independent investigation. I don’t believe Ms. LeBerge for moment when she claims complete innocence.

I find it amazing that Collins would go to some groups and talk about Christian principles then I believe trashes them in order to get elected with the illegal mail piece. He supposedly strongly opposes gay marriage and is pro life and supports Christian principles. So does Jody Hice. The difference is Jody Hice believes in applying Constitutional principles test to legislation . That means that any federal attempt to regulate marriage would be Un-Constitutional. IE:DOMA .
Someone that will do anything to get elected can’t be trusted. If they are willing to throw the base under the bus to get elected, then what makes Democrats believe they won’t receive the same treatment?

I believe that someone connected with the Collins campaign was very involved with the mail piece. The mail piece violated Federal Election Law because there was no disclosure on it . I believe that whoever was responsible for it, mistakenly assume that since GA law does not require it the mail piece was legal. They, in their zest to get Collins elected, forgot all about Federal Election Law since this is a Federal election. An oh, the 50,000 thresh hold would not apply since the district has over 395,000 registered voters. It was made to appear that Democrats were violating election law. Someone told me they suspected Buddy Welch may be involved. That remains to be seen and no proof has been presented but that is one of the things being looked at…

The mail piece was not voter outreach to get Democrats involved with the Republican Party. It was an attempt to use Democrats to elect a chamber of commerce, establishment puppet that would be a vote to continue corporate cronyism/welfare. How many Democrats violated the law by turning in absentee ballot requests for the Republican Primary run off when they had already voted in the May 20th Democrat primary because the mail piece made it seem there were no restriction to them voting?

Many posters on PP thoroughly denounced what they perceive as intolerance of Jody Hice, when they themselves are very intolerant of Christian views. Really hypocritical. Jody Hice’s remarks about Islam were taken out of context . What he was trying to say was that Islam is not just a religion-it is a form of government and governments don’t have 1st Amendment protection. It is amazing that Muslims and some of you demand tolerance of Islam when Islam itself is intolerant of other religions. When is the last time you heard of a Muslim being put to death in this country because they were Muslims? How many times have we heard of Christians being put to death in other countries because they rejected Islam? Muslims should be tolerant of other religions before they demand it for Islam. Many of you were very critical of Jody Hice’s remarks, but I don’t recall any of you criticizing Islam for being intolerant of Christians.

Religion and ministers played a very important role in the founding of our nation. Some of you have forgotten that. http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/religion/rel03.html

Some of you really need to take a long , hard look in the mirror…

debbie0040 July 15, 2014 at 10:52 am

“DavidPerdue2014 July 15, 2014 at 10:30 am

Respectful and legitimate question…How can Peach Pundit vehemently oppose a candidate like Jody Hice yet strongly support Barry Loudermilk who is IMHO an almost carbon copy of Hice and will most certainly vote exactly the same way in Congress if elected?”

This demonstrates the hypocrisy overload of some on PP. DavidPerdue2014 raise very valid points. I do agree with most of Barry Loudermilk’s positions but I am not the one trashing Jody Hice. Those of you that support Loudermilk but oppose Hice how do you explain your hypocrisy?

“A clip from the debate was posted on YouTube by Bartowpolitics showing Barr noting that Loudermilk has very proudly accepted Barton’s endorsement despite the fact, Barr said, that Barton “has been roundly and uniformly criticized with facts for taking positions that are anti-Semitic [and] that are against women voting.” -

From Barry Loudermilk
f You’re Among the Politically Correct, Here’s What You Need to Know
First of all, it is not our responsibility to continually try not to offend you in any way. This idea of America being a multi-cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity.

If God Offends You, Here’s What to Do
God is in our pledge, our National Anthem, nearly every patriotic song, and in our founding documents. We honor His birth, death, and resurrection as holidays, and we turn to Him in prayer in times of crisis. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture, and we are proud to have Him.

This is Our Culture – If You Don’t Like It You’re Free to Go Elsewhere
The American culture is our way of life, our heritage, and we are proud of it. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don’t care how you did things where you came from. We are Americans. Like it or not, this is our country, our land, and our lifestyle.

Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion about our government, culture, or society, and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you to take advantage of one other great American freedom, the right to leave!

tribeca July 15, 2014 at 11:44 am

Oh Lawd, Debbie is talking about the mailer again.

Debbie, people aren’t denouncing Hice’s views because they’re “very intolerant
of Christian views.” It’s because the Hice made “very intolerant”
statements and had the gall to call them “Christian views.” Not a
single person took his comments about Islam out of context because
Hice very clearly set out the context. By Hice’s logic, Islam is a
“geo-political structure” because governments have chosen to structure
their laws and norms around the tenets of Islam. The United States,
as Hice and many others are wont to mention, “is a Christian nation,”
founded by Christian men, and structures its laws and norms around
Christian teachings and beliefs of morality. By Hice’s logic,
Christianity should also qualify as a “geo-political structure” and
should be undeserving of First Amendment protections.

Islam is tolerant of Christianity. They view Jesus as a prophet.
They’re a religion and painting it with a broad brush is as unfair as
me using the Crusades or the Reconquista and saying “see, Christianity
is intolerant of Islam” or to use the complicity of Christians in the
Holocaust as evidence that “Christianity is intolerant of Judaism.”
Is it messed up that Christians have been executed in other countries?
Yeah, it is but the reason that’s happening there and not here is
because the U.S. has a Constitution which establishes a freedom of
religion, a freedom of speech, due process, and equal rights
(ironically, these are the things Hice wants to deny to Muslims).

Also, didn’t Jesus say “turn the other cheek”? I think the argument
of “Muslims should be tolerant of other religions before they demand
it for Islam” kinda goes against that whole mantra, dontcha think?
The true Christian would return intolerance with tolerance, he
wouldn’t write a book about how the supposedly intolerant are
undeserving of acceptance and First Amendment protection.

griftdrift July 15, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Looked in the mirror. Didn’t find any monkeys.