Today’s GA-10 Sermon Is From Galatians 6

July 11, 2014 13:00 pm

by Charlie · 18 comments

Today’s Scripture Reading is from Galatians Chapter 6, Verse 7:  “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.”

Today, our Editor Emeritus Erick Erickson has written a piece for Red State saying that Democrats are voting against Jody Hice, the heir apparent to Paul Broun, in the Georgia 10 runoff against Mike Collins.  In it, he says Collins is using a “Mississippi Strategy” to defeat the true conservative Jody Hice.  You can catch up on this “true conservative’s” views here and here.

To me, a true conservative isn’t one that is set to create a theocratic nation, but one that understands America was founded by, and our Constitution written by, those who understood that religion forced by the hand of government was not a religion at all, but instead one where “God” was used to manipulate the populace to the wishes of government.  We are told in our Bible, after all, that we are to render to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and render unto God what is God’s.   Even Jesus saw the separation.

But what is more concerning is that an attempt to rile up the base and turn out votes for Hice is also an attempt to strip away the legitimacy of a Collins victory, should it happen.  Much like their own “Mississippi Strategy”, those that have spent years telling us winning elections doesn’t matter are now telling us that the voters don’t really get to speak if the majority does not provide the result they are looking for.

For this, we get back to our verse about reaping what you sow.  I would like to remind the supporters of Dr. Hice exactly how it was that Dr. Broun made his way to Congress.  It was during a runoff of a special election.  And it was one in which dark blue Athens-Clark County voted 89.49% for Dr. Paul Broun.  Paul Broun won the race by 394 votes.  He won Clarke County by 4521.

Democrats, my friends, are why Dr. Paul Broun went to Congress.

So if you’re going to say that Thad Cochran shouldn’t be going back to Congress because of Democratic votes, or that Mike Collins shouldn’t be allowed to get votes from people that find Dr. Hice’s views on the Constitution so offensive that it turns them Republican for the day, then you have to first acknowledge that in doing so, you are merely now reaping what has been sowed.

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

tribeca July 11, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Silly Erick, Democrats aren’t turning out against Hice because he’s a conservative, they’re turning out against him because he’s an ignorant, jingoistic, misogynistic, potentially racist, clown.

Democrats in the 10th District (well… let’s be honest… Athens) are the reason Paul Broun wound up in Congress. If we’re being honest with ourselves, Broun was a terrible Congressman. Can anyone think of one legitimate legislative accomplishment? His nut job tendencies left him on the outs with his own party and made him completely voiceless on issues of substance despite being part of a GOP majority.

If you’re a Democrat, a moderate, or a Republican with a brain living in the 10th District, Jody Hice looks like a bad remake of Paul Broun (think the Mark Whalberg version of Planet of the Apes). He’s already said some nut job things, followed them up with a milquetoast quasi-apology, and seems to have the same tenuous grasp of the “Constitution” that the good doctor did.

I’m not saying I want a Congressman who makes it rain pork all over the 10th. But I would like a Congressman (or woman, since my attitude towards women is more inclusive and tolerant than that of Dr. Hice) that is, at the very least, in a position to advocate for the district and have an actual “say” in things. Perhaps Collins isn’t that guy, but I like to think he has a better chance of being taken seriously than the person he’s running against.

Jon Lester July 11, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Actually, Paul Broun won the 2007 special election and 2008 primary because he was facing even more undesirable opponents in Jim Whitehead and Barry Fleming, respectively. Bobby Saxon never would have won the general election in 2008. Russell Edwards was new to the business of campaigning for office in 2010, and no Democrat even bothered to run in 2012, which is the state party’s own failure.

Harry July 11, 2014 at 1:51 pm

There have been Catholic priests in Congress, why not a Baptist preacher or two?

Ellynn July 11, 2014 at 2:16 pm

The Vatican ordered all priests to withdraw from politics in 1980. Has not been one since Fr. Cornell of Green Bay lost to Toby Roth in 1978.

MattMD July 11, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Do you ever add anything useful? Ever?

This isn’t about him being a preacher, it is the fact that he is a divisive fool.

Lea Thrace July 11, 2014 at 8:29 pm

“Do you ever add anything useful? Ever?”

No. The answer to that question will always be no.

Jon Lester July 11, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I would ask Erick: You don’t really want Jody Hice in Congress, do you? Seriously? This is important, because there’s no way the Democratic guy can win in November.

Raleigh July 11, 2014 at 2:29 pm

“And I’ll pay any price to keep Georgia an open-primary state, because requiring people to register their nominal affiliations is just wrong.”

AMEN! Mr. Lester. I am 100% with you on that.

Bloodhound July 11, 2014 at 2:26 pm

If you are going to use scripture, you need to accept the use of this one as well:

Roman 13:1-7
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God’s wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

George Chidi July 11, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I question the logic of Erick’s assertions here.

Voters who cast a ballot in the primary may only draw a ballot in the runoff from the party they chose in May. Voters who abstained in May can choose either ballot. This is different from Mississippi, as I understand it, with an open ballot in both elections … as long as the voter “intends” to support the candidate in the general election.

Democrats who are politically astute enough and civic-minded enough to care about the Collins-Hice race almost certainly voted in the primary, and voted Democrat. Which means any effort to entice Democrats into cross-party voting has to target indifferent voters. Now, how does that work, as a practical matter?

Jon Richards July 11, 2014 at 4:00 pm

George, my understanding in Mississippi was that it operates the same as it does in Georgia — If you vote one party in the primary, you have to vote that same party in the runoff. If you didn’t vote (or voted nonpartisan) in the primary, you can choose the desired ballot in the runoff.

George Chidi July 11, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I’m having trouble tracking down an authoritative source for either assertion. You may be right.
I still think it’s a stretch.

I also think it’s glorious if it’s happening. I’m a card-carrying Democrat. And I believe if it becomes clear that far-right conservatives can’t dog-whistle racist platitudes at the primary electorate any more, perhaps Republicans will start providing meaningful competition for black votes, which will sharpen both parties approach to policies aimed at equality.

taylor July 13, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Jon is correct. The Mississippi rules are the same as Georgia’s.

c_murrayiii July 12, 2014 at 1:07 am

This is why Tea Party folks want closed primaries or even nominees picked at conventions, like they have done in VA (worked out great in the last Governor’s race, btw). They want only the most hardcore, faithful, ideologically pure guiding the party. Much like the party structure for the Communists envisioned by Lenin, the vanguard. Its strange how “freedom loving” tea partiers want an authoritarian party structure.

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 9:40 am

c_murrayii, Chase, you can stop your ridiculous outright lies now. I endorsed Jack Kingston. Does that really sound like I want only pure ideological candidates leading the party? You establishment Republicans trash tea party activists during the primary but expect us to fall in line and vote for your candidates in November. That is laughable. You don’t trash your girlfriend, go off and dance with someone else for a while then attempt to go back to your girlfriend a few months later and expect her to dance with you. Maybe you should find out how many elections you can win without tea party activists. If I lived in Mississippi , I would be volunteering for the Democrat and I can tell you there are many tea party activists in Mississippi that are going to do just that if Cochran is the nominee. The Democrat is actually more conservative than Cochran is. If I lived in Kentucky, I would be working to defeat McConnell by encouraging votes for the Libertarian or write in votes that say Fed Up. Sacrifice is sometimes necessary for great change. The way McConnell and company have conducted themselves in the primaries, they don’t deserve control of the Senate. There will be no real policy change as long as Obama is President or unless the GOP gets 2/3 rds of the House and Senate. So Senate control can wait another two years. Third Party talk is getting to the serious point now..

To begin with, what is wrong with Mississippi is that elitist Republicans and big business aren’t trying to build the party by reaching out and bring Democrats in the fold. They are trying to use African Americans Democrats and ask them to potentially break election laws by voting in the Republican Primary when they know the Democrats will vote Democrat in the General election even if the candidate they voted for wins the GOP Primary. That is against the law. Buying votes is very illegal. They even paid for votes in Mississippi. That ain’t the way to bring in new people to the party. The same thing may be going on in the Tenth.

I have software that allows me to pull the voters in the 10th District that normally vote Democrat. I have already done so. It also has phone numbers, shows if they have contributed to Democrat causes/candidates and addresses. . I am checking the situation out and make no mistake it will be monitored closely. I am alerting Tru The Vote about what is going on. They are a great group to work with. Conservative activists are already angry about what is going on in Mississippi and if a similar situation is going on in Georgia, it could cause an explosive situation right before the General election.. Almost 16,000 voted in the Democrat Primary in the 10th District. You establishment types really don’t understand the anger at the GOP now in the trenches. If what happened in Mississippi is going on in the 10th, it could impact other races..

If the GOP really wants to bring in African Americans into the party, then maybe they should stop corporate cronyism/welfare like sports stadium funding, some of the tax credits big business enjoys at the expense of average citizens. There are some tax credits big business has that are truly worthy and beneficial to everyone. There are some that aren’t. Delta enjoys a tax break on jet fuel that went into effect when they were going through bankruptcy. It is past time for that to end. The same elected officials that rant about reforming entitlements are silent on corporate entitlements/welfare. Have any of you guys actually been in low income areas of Atlanta and seen the people being displaced by the new Falcons stadium? Have you visited the historic African American churches being displaced by the new Falcons stadium? One of the churches was built by former slaves after the Civil War. I have been to those areas and have spoken at one of the churches in the area and am working with people in these areas . I was surprised to find that some agree with my views 75% but they vote Democrat because they believe that the Republican Party is made up of white rich men that just care about corporations. There are some in these areas that don’t want hand outs from the government, they want a hand up to escape from the poverty that grips that area. Why wasn’t the public money that is being used to help build the stadium used to revitalize these historic neighborhoods or used for MARTA or for transportation?

debbie0040 July 12, 2014 at 9:52 am

I don’t like Harry Reid being in control of the Senate but if Republican hopes of controlling the Senate rely on Mississippi, then they shouldn’t get control – not after what they pulled in Mississippi. The bottom is if they are rewarded with their tactics in Mississippi, then it will never stop. Election after election, the moderates will turn to Democrats to get elected and conservatives won’t win primaries. Allowing McConnell and company to get away with Mississippi will set back the conservative cause for decades to come. Again, sacrifice is sometimes necessary and the GOP loses control of the Senate because they lost Mississippi and maybe Kentucky, then they have no one to blame but the NRSC, Thad Cochran, Haley Barbour and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce..

c_murrayiii July 13, 2014 at 4:09 am

I would like to know where your proof of bought votes is and also what your proof is of any illegality in the primary campaign by the Cochran campaign. And, I don’t believe you represent the Tea Party as a whole Debbie, sorry to break it to you. So I stand by my, admittedly, generalized comment on the Tea Party. They want what amounts to a “vanguard” controlling the party, enforcing a very strict (more strict than has ever existed in the GOP) party line. Or “we’ll primary you!” And likely lose the general election in most places, mind you. I am not “establishment,” I never get invited to their cocktail parties or brunches. I just support a broad tent, successful GOP that can move the ball towards the goal post, inch by inch if necessary. I don’t insist on a hail mary every play.

And I agree, sacrifice is sometimes necessary. I think its time the GOP sacrifice the fringe elements of the party and start to compete for the middle again, where most sensible Americans are found.

Jon Lester July 13, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Erick shares some responsibility for getting Saxby Chambliss into Congress, so I think a good rule of thumb is to vote against all of his endorsements.