Morning Reads — Thursday, July 3, 2014

On this day in 1930, Congress created the U.S. Veterans Administration. My, how far they’ve come.

Jimmy Carter

Sweet Tea

Liberty Drum

1. Hardly says:

Why would Target stores want to avoid these kinds of “community safety” encounters between two good guys with a gun?

“VALDOSTA — On the first day of the new Georgia Safe Carry Protection Act, a misunderstanding between two armed men in a convenience store Tuesday led to a drawn firearm and a man’s arrest.”

Boycott Target!!

• saltycracker says:

While favoring the right to carry, I wish they’d leave them under their shirt or in their purse. It is unnerving to have a tattooed, pony tailed guy in his dirty undershirt with a side arm grousing about in my aisle, as this week. I respected his rights and changed aisles.
      We all profile in public.

Target made a reasonable request for their customers.

• TheEiger says:

I agree. I will say that there is probably not a single person I know that is more pro gun and second amendment than me. There is absolutely no reason to walk into Target with your AR on your back. Even when I take my AR15 to the range it’s in a carry bag. These guys are just trying to get in the news and are making us all look bad. If you want to carry in public, and I think you should be allowed to, then put your Glock on your hip and pull your shirt over it.

• But if you’re not showing off your piece how will the potential bad guys with guns know that they are in a “good guys with guns” area where they shouldn’t try and attempt a mass shooting?

• TheEiger says:

This is what I’m talking about. The dummies at Target give gun grabbing liberals like you ammo to attack us all.

• TheEiger says:

Yes you can still bring it into target. The deterrent factor comes into play when someone does something stupid like trying to rob you in the parking lot and you pull your legally held concealed weapon on them.

• Jon Lester says:

Right. I’m expecting to get an AK by the end of the summer, but I don’t plan on advertising it everywhere I go, just because I can. I’m free to burn a flag, too, but that wouldn’t be good politics, either.

2. Shocked that Peach Pundit is not covering the myAJC story about health insurance premiums on the exchange either going down or rising by only single digits as well as the new insurers that plan to compete there next year.

• Charlie says:

I remind you once again that you forfeited your right to determine what’s on our front page when you refused to post except when it struck your fancy, refused to respond to emails about posting or contributing, and otherwise decided you couldn’t be bothered to participate in our community.

Now, again for whatever reason, you show up occasionally to bitch about what isn’t here, despite the fact that anyone that wants can add a link to the morning reads here in the comments.

Your whining is tiresome, and the criticism of “what Peach Pundit is not covering” lies squarely on your doorstep.

3. gcp says:

Agree GPB takeover of WRAS is a waste of taxpayer money. Most of the morning show is a simulcast of NPR. And what’s with the commercials? Heard one for a car dealer, skin doctor and an MBA program.

Give WRAS back to the students and how about if we quit funding GPB and let them try to function as a private entity.

• Or why stop with WRAS. GSU has a lot of valuable property currently being used as non-profitable classroom space. Could probably make some nice condos downtown. I smell a public-private partnership opportunity for the GBA.

• gcp says:

The university system wastes a lot of money: 58 million for a new GSU law school building, who knows how much unused classroom space at UGA and now a raise for Huckabee who already makes over 400,000.

• Ed says:

In fairness, GSU needs more class and office space (especially the latter) and Urban Life Building is a dump (it is modeled after the Bastille!). Also, pretty sure there was a lot of fundraising to buy/retrofit SunTrust Plaza.

• gcp says:

5 million from Woodruff Foundation, 58 million (bonded) from the taxpayers. Not buying this one. It’s a law school building, not a med school that needs expensive lab space and lab equipment.

• Ed says:

fair enough (wasn’t sure about fundraising) but it is still a big building in downtown atlanta, how cheap do you think it will be? Combine the need for more space and that law schools are cash cows. I just don’t see this as a waste, but YMMV.

• gcp says:

They are gonna tear down Kell Hall. Put the law school there. GSU does not need a “showplace” law school. It’s not privately funded Emory. Its taxpayer funded GSU.

• Ed says:

Kell Hall is turning into a greenspace, the B-school and LS are already in SunTrust building. And at any rate, I don’t get why taxpayers wouldn’t want taxpayer-funded institutions to be as good as they can be.

4. Ed says:

Also, FWIW, that gun story doesn’t really prove any arguments for pro-2A folks.

For one, as the article notes, violence continues to decline in big cities–where the vast majority of gun-related violence takes place. Second, people keep guns in their houses. If you get in a fight in your house, you are given an opportunity to use it. And besides, domestic gun violence is kind of not what pro-2A folks really want to be drawing attention to.