Jody Hice, the Xenophobe

June 23, 2014 14:45 pm

by Eric The Younger · 55 comments

It turns out that Paul Broun isn’t the only Xenophobe from Georgia 10. H/T to Jay Bookman and  #gapol on Twitter for catching my attention on this one.

Jody Hice, the Baptist Minister running against Mike Collins to replace Paul Broun, wrote in 2012 that

“Although Islam has a religious component, it is much more than a simple religious ideology,” he states in his book, Now or Never. “It is a complete geo-political structure and, as such, does not deserve First Amendment protection.”

Wow… Just Wow…

The beautiful thing about our Constitution is that it applies to everyone regardless of various demographic factors. Now we have had to update it a few times (13, 14, 15, 19, 24, 26) to further ensure that folks are treated equally under the law, but that intent is still most definitely there. Regardless of one person’s opinion that says we should discriminate based on arbitrary differences.

The cool thing about the First Amendment is that if Hice wants to openly advocate denying an entire group of people, (specifically the second largest religious group in almost half of the states in the US) he gets to say it. That’s his right. But I also get to say that his exclusionary view of the First Amendment is flat out wrong and deplorable. Even worse is that Hice pretends to be a Constitutional Scholar.

The not so cool thing about this is that the comments show a fundamental misunderstanding of one of the most important documents in American history. It also happens to be the basis upon which our government runs. Such a gross misunderstanding of how government works does not elicit thoughts of confidence from me.

There are actually a lot of similarities between Christianity and Islam when it comes to their view of Jesus. Jesus is a rasuul in Islam, which is a greater prophet like Moses, Abraham, Adam, and Mohammed. Pretty good company really for a faith that doesn’t see Jesus as the Christ. The Bible is actually a holy book in Islam, as is the Torah. Christianity has the tithe, Islam has the Zakaat. Christianity has Lent, Islam has Ramadan. Both have a profession of faith for a single God. Both have a very similar rule of ethics. Both worship the God of Abraham.

Christianity was once an entire geopolitical structure as well. Remember the Crusades, the 3o years war that ended with the Peace of Westphalia, the Holy Roman Empire… I can keep going but I think I’ve made the point. The logical extension of Hice’s comments would be that Christians should also be denied the First Amendment. Or maybe Hice would balk at that and suggest only Catholics per my examples.

Just because you wear your religion on your sleeve does not mean you get to shove your views down the throats of people that think differently than you. You also don’t get to take God given rights away from people just because they worship your God in a slightly different way.

I find it disappointing that a Minister is acting with hate, malice, or ignorance rather than acting as the caring shepherd. Jesus hung out with the tax collectors, the prostitutes, the gentiles, and other undesirables. Jesus would teach anyone and even would perform miracles for folks that were not Jews. All in all he was a pretty inclusive guy. There seems to be a disconnect.

Now I realize there probably aren’t a whole lot of Muslims in Ga-10. So Hice’s comments probably won’t matter much in district. I however am going to look at the broader message that this shows. We want an intolerant xenophobe that doesn’t understand the US Constitution to represent Georgia? I think only Todd Aiken could do more damage to our reputation.

Insha’ allah’ Jody Hice will not make it past the runoff.

{ 55 comments… read them below or add one }

NorthGAGOP June 23, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Hice also has an interesting perspective on women in politics.

”If the woman’s within the authority of her husband, I don’t see a problem,” Dr. Jody Hice of the Bethlehem First Baptist church in Barrow County said of women in positions of political power.”

Eric The Younger June 23, 2014 at 3:31 pm

And Gays too. I wanted to just stick with the Islam thing for this post. Otherwise there’d be a lot of tl;dr.

Bridget Cantrell June 23, 2014 at 3:52 pm

And Erick supports him…. http://www.redstate.com/2014/06/19/jody-hice-for-congress/

Seems like Erick would have a better grasp of what it will take to grow the GOP. Hating women, gays, and non-Christian Americans isn’t going to do it.

I understand and have read about the Blood Moon prediction, but you don’t take John Hagee on the campaign trail with you. And being gay can be compared to the tendency to be violent? This is cray. http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/7-outrageous-rants-gop-house-candidate-jody-hice-blood-moons-sandy-hook-women-and-judicial-t

George Chidi June 23, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Hice and Loudermilk are cut from the same cloth. Dominionist theocrats, both. Georgia, you’re about to trade Paul Broun and Phil Gingrey for Michele Bachmann and Allen West, and you think you’re trading up.

This is what happens when politics becomes unserious, when the hard questions about policy can be ignored for circus sideshow madness and demagoguery.

Charlie June 23, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I’ve had enough conversations with Loudermilk that I don’t believe this to be the case. Regardless, I’ve watched Bob Barr long enough to know that he agrees with me 100%, and you 100%, and that chair in the corner 100%….

George Chidi June 23, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I want to believe you. I respect your judgment — after all, you haven’t thrown me off a cliff yet. But it’s hard to square a sense of the man being a fair-minded shoeleather politician who plans to focus on the workaday issues of the district while he keeps making continual gestures toward David Barton and Christian Reconstructionism.

Loudermilk believes that the plain language of the Constitution denying Congress the power to respect an establishment of religion should be interpreted to allow exactly the opposite — the formal legal positioning of the Bible (as he interprets it) above the law, as the law. He is preaching theocracy to the electorate.

I am left to believe that he is either flatly lying about that to win an election in which turnout in the teens will be dominated by the religious right … or that he believes exactly what he’s been saying consistently for years.

Truly, I wouldn’t care if these were his private views, if I thought he would focus his public life as a public servant on the bread and butter concerns of the electorate. There’s more than enough room in government to express your moral convictions as a Christian in ways even the most hardened skeptic might applaud. (See: Brockway, Buzz)

But Loudermilk isn’t making a great case for it right now.

Dave Bearse June 23, 2014 at 9:09 pm

It does matter even if these are Hice’s private views. The views are a simple matter of disqualifying crazy that certainly doesn’t merit the respect accorded Christian faith. I can’t blane Christian’s for not saying so because they are Christian.

A crazy infallible private Bible philosophy identifies Hice as so unbalanced that he cannot be trusted be trusted with the bread and butter concerns of the electorate.

George Chidi June 23, 2014 at 11:12 pm

That’s a trap.

If I were to judge the private religious views of a candidate for public office as disqualifying on their face — even if I find those views inimical to good governance and the values of our society — then I would be guilty of the same political crime of which I accuse others. Also, I would be disqualifying otherwise good people from service. Tolerance and diversity is a two-way street.

Of course, I don’t think there’s a shortage of religious ideologues in American politics. But the principle applies.

There is no religious test for high office in America. I don’t care about what someone thinks about religion. I care about what someone thinks about the Constitution.

Dave Bearse June 25, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Belief in the patently false that is beyond any reasonable idea of faith is mythology masquerading as religion. I’ve no reservations about personally disqualifying crazy but otherwise good people from service. Biblical literalists categorically ought to be denied access to a nuclear button that could be used to fulfill an Armageddon fantasy.

griftdrift June 24, 2014 at 9:39 am

If Loudermilk doesn’t believe it then he needs to stop bragging about his association with people like David Barton. I’d rather have the scoundrel I know than the crazy person who hides behind a nice smile.

Bridget Cantrell June 23, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Speaking of campaigning on the serious issues, George… High five, 10th District – both sides of this race. Way to represent the Georgia electoral process.

Three Jack June 24, 2014 at 10:48 am

I’m with grift on this one. Loudermilk is Eddie Haskell just waiting to cut loose once elected to congress.

Not sure how the presser turned out, but this is another interesting twist for Loudermilk – http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/06/24/in-face-of-challenge-barry-loudermilk-releases-his-military-resume/

c_murrayiii June 23, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but even if Islam was a “geo-political” structure, would not the First Amendment still afford them protection under the whole “free speech” and “right to assemble” pieces? I mean, the First Amendment is as much about political rights as religious rights. So for a self-identified “Constitutional Scholar,” Mr. Hice has almost no understanding of a key element of the Bill of Rights, and therefore, the Constitution.

Charlie June 23, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Sir, you’re arguing with a man that is a “Constitutional Scholar” as well as someone who can quote the Bible and explain it’s literal meaning as only he can interpret it. How dare you question this reasoning. You must be going to hell or something…

c_murrayiii June 23, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Proudly so if he represents the mindset I can expect in the other direction.

Roscoe June 23, 2014 at 4:08 pm

OH! but he’s “never claimed to be a Constitutional scholar!” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMrpHSbvUwo

John Konop June 23, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Erick,

Very good post all should read. Keep up the good work, you have become a must read on the PP.

Eric The Younger June 23, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Thanks John.

The Last Democrat in Georgia June 23, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I agree with Mr. Konop. Keep up the good work, Eric.

Eric The Younger June 24, 2014 at 11:20 am

Thank you.

northside101 June 23, 2014 at 4:47 pm

“It is a complete geopolitical structure”…..

Could that apply also to the Vatican? After all, the pope heads the 109 acres of Vatican City and his reach extends to his bishops in every nation…….

saltycracker June 23, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Isn’t it an insult to the average Georgia voter (those off the fringes) to discuss this beyond recognizing the candidate’s, Jody Hice’s, words ?

“Islam………does not deserve First Amendment protection.”
Thank you, next candidate.

There has to be a lot more fun with his 501(c)(3) relationships, personal income, influencing legislation and all that tax exempt stuff.

Chuck Shiflett June 23, 2014 at 5:10 pm

So how do you folks propose we deal with Islam? It is not JUST another manmade religion… it IS a violent manmade religion focused upon forcing the entire world under an Islamic religious/political state that slaughters all who disagree with it. There is no such thing as moderate Islam… even the most “peaceful” Muslims still want a global Islamic caliphate. I would vote for Hice in a NY minute if I lived in that district.

saltycracker June 23, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Stop being wimps when they go outside the law, demand we bend laws to their customs or provide basic public info in their language ?

Harry June 23, 2014 at 6:00 pm

As is the case with the homosexual rights mindset, totalitarian mindset, and others, we should separate the individual from the system. Even Christianity was at times primitive and violent, taken under the spell of evil leaders with their own interests. There are many Islamic adherents among us who make good citizens and neighbors, and who can be (voluntarily) proselytized for Christ. As long as no individual becomes violent or threatens to become violent, no laws are broken. I think what Rev. Hice is trying to say, is that the doctrine of Islam and many other (not all) religions are intrinsically violent, and we should be prepared for that. The Christian message is supposed to be one of holy faith, hope, and love, and as such, as we believe in Christ’s message we will gain Heaven.

It is always a sad situation when one Christian impugns the intent or purpose of another, even of a different confession. We should be able to talk out these stress situations without drama. Today I was fortunate to visit the shrine of St. John Nepomucene at St. Vitus cathedral. His life and death are instructive.

MattMD June 23, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Well, I don’t think you deal with it by advocating the revocation of 1st amendment protections.

I understand having a dim view of Islam; I don’t think it is at all like Christianity. Hell, even Bill Maher thinks Islam is in a different class with respect to violence in particular religions.

George Chidi June 23, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I suppose it’s worth noting that we’ve killed hundreds if not thousands of innocent civilians — women, children, and others — while bombing parts of the Middle East flat over the last two decades.

Are we a “Christian” country, founded on Christian ideals, as described by Hice, Loudermilk and others? Then we have made Christianity complicit in acts of immorality.

Are we only a Christian country when it’s convenient, in the ways it’s convenient? The bombing — that’s the non-Christian part, right? Those were secular acts. That’s not the “under God” part. Sounds like special pleading to me.

Our nation must — MUST — be silent on matters of religion, not to “protect” people from Christianity but to protect Christianity (and every other faith) from the consequences of living with the ugly realities of a modern state. The alternative gives Muslims we harm credible cause to point at a Christianized America and say that our religion is responsible for their personal calamities.

I’m not a torch bearer for Islam, but your view that there is no moderate Islam is about as honest as saying there is no moderate Christianity — it’s an empty xenophobic statement refuted by literally billions of people every day.

Eric The Younger June 23, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I’m sorry but you seem to be preoccupied with the Hanifi School of Law. You’ll find the others to be rather accommodating. Especially when you get to the Ahl Al Kitab part found in Chapter 2 of the Qu’ran. The Maliki and Hanbali schools don’t tend to marginalize that important part of theology.

MattMD June 23, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Have you read the Qu’ran? It just seems to get much more violent towards the end. Islam has been propagated by the sword. Has anybody really attempted to dispute this?

Again, I’m not a big fan of getting morality from so-called “Holy Books”. I tend to think they are mostly bronze-age myths.

griftdrift June 24, 2014 at 10:12 am

Deuteronomy 20: 16-18

Eric The Younger June 24, 2014 at 11:21 am

Yep, even had a few classes on Islamic Theology and Islamic Law.

Splunk June 25, 2014 at 10:52 am

Wanting the entire world to convert to your religion is a pretty basic tenant of almost all religions, why else do Christians evangelize?
And your generalization of Muslims leads me to believe you’ve had almost no real interaction with people of the Islamic faith. I’ve had a number of personal friends who were Muslims, including one of my best friends, whose family was like a second home to me growing up, and I can assure you that they were not a violent people hellbent on establishing a global caliph and ridding the world of infidels. That’s nothing but a construction you’ve made in your mind of a group of people you don’t know much about, and thus fear.

xdog June 23, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Pretty funny watching some of you poke sticks at the Reverend Doctor Hice for his non-Constitutional ways, especially since it was just a few weeks ago that so many were embracing the “Religious Freedom Act”.

Dave Bearse June 23, 2014 at 9:14 pm

“Jody Hice, the Xenophobe”, and the GaGOP’s leading candidate in GA-10.

Ed June 23, 2014 at 9:30 pm
Jon Lester June 24, 2014 at 10:06 am

I wonder how he likes that big, opulent Hindu temple in Gwinnett?

Jon Lester June 24, 2014 at 10:06 am

If this hadn’t come out, people might have forgotten how much real difference there is between a Baptist preacher and a guy who runs a business.

PegM June 25, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I’d like to know how you become a “constitutional scholar”…..Obama claims to be one as well and he uses the constitution like toilet paper. Where do you major in that subject? Methinks Hice and Broun were twins separated at birth.

Bobloblaw June 25, 2014 at 6:48 pm

“”There are actually a lot of similarities between Christianity and Islam when it comes to their view of Jesus. “”

Jesus is a prophet in Islam. They reject the resurrection and reject that Jesus is the son of God. Other than that sure they are EXACTLY the same…..

BTW they kill one another over something as trivial as who should be Mohammed’s successor. 1400 years after the death of Mohammed.

George Chidi June 25, 2014 at 7:49 pm

The Catholic-killing Klansmen of Georgia’s recent past send their regards. So do the martyrs of the Latter Day Saints. And the Puritans and Huguenots who fled Christian persecution to come to America, as do the Quakers they murdered some time later.

The Ulster Freedom Fighters and the Irish Republican Army likely agree. So do the paramilitary groups of Yugoslavia.

Oliver Cromwell greets you warmly, too. So does Savonarola and everyone who died on the rack in Spain or in the bonfires of Italy.

So do the half a million dead in the Crimean War in 1856, over which Christians had the right to “defend” Jerusalem from the infidels. So do the eight million dead in the 30 Years War, killed over who had the right to hear confession, and all the countless Cathars and Orthodox Christian dead during the Crusades, who died because a prelate decided to add the words “and the son” to descriptions of the Holy Spirit.

Bobloblaw June 25, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Ill quote the former PM of India and BJP member.

You cannot cooperate with Islam, you cant coexist with Islam, you cannot compromise with Islam. Islam seeks to destroy everything that is not Muslim.

George Chidi June 25, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Said Nahendra Modi, the guy who’s followers burned down 600-year-old mosques in Gujarat, killed hundreds (thousands, more likely) of Muslims in riots 12 years ago, stole land from Muslims to give to his followers and whitewashed his work in court. Modi has nothing constructive to say about coexistence.

Will Durant June 25, 2014 at 9:35 pm

“The means of defence against foreign danger have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people.”
― James Madison, Notes of Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787

Will Durant June 25, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Another Madison quote for Hice and Broun “Constitutionalists” from the primary drafter of the Bill of Rights:

“Wherever the real power in a Government lies, there is the danger of oppression. In our Governments, the real power lies in the majority of the Community, and the invasion of private rights is chiefly to be apprehended, not from the acts of Government contrary to the sense of its constituents, but from acts in which the Government is the mere instrument of the major number of the constituents.”
― James Madison

Or since that 18th century language can be a bit stilted and also a source bound to hack them off we have this quote regarding the first amendment:

Majority rule only works if you’re also considering individual rights. Because you can’t have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.
― Larry Flynt

DavidPerdue2014 July 15, 2014 at 10:30 am

Respectful and legitimate question…How can Peach Pundit vehemently oppose a candidate like Jody Hice yet strongly support Barry Loudermilk who is IMHO an almost carbon copy of Hice and will most certainly vote exactly the same way in Congress if elected?

debbie0040 July 15, 2014 at 10:40 am

It is called hypocrisy and that is very evident on PP

WeymanCWannamakerJr July 16, 2014 at 4:50 am

Kind of like the hypocrisy of purporting to be a leader of a non-profit social welfare organization that by Federal code does not endorse or campaign against political candidates?

Charlie July 15, 2014 at 10:41 am

Direct answer: “Peach Pundit” in it’s history has never endorsed a candidate. We have about 20 different contributors here, and each writes under our own name with our own opinions. On a rare occasion or three, some of us have co-signed posts, but I’m not aware of one ever being unanimous.

Direct question back: When this primary is over, will your interest end with your paycheck, or do you plan to continue this butthurt over us not siding with Bob Barr after next Tuesday?

debbie0040 July 15, 2014 at 11:09 am

Will yours? I am not being PAID ONE DIME to go after Mike Collins BY ANYONE. I wouldn’t turn it down if offered, but am absolutely, unequivocally not. Jody needs to save his money to use for outreach. Is that what the Collins people are saying? That is pretty funny…

My response to those accusations.

I like both Barr and Loudermilk. I am not taking sides in that race.

Charlie July 15, 2014 at 11:14 am

1) Check again, I’m responding to Barr’s troll.

2) You are officially unhinged.

3) I am not paid by any campaign or IE in any capacity.

3) This is my last suggestion to you that you take a deep breath and back away from the keyboard for a while. It’s not uncommon for you to do yourself no favors here. But even for you, you’re getting into uncharted territory.

DavidPerdue2014 July 15, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I will defend any candidate that I personally support and believe in. I just asked a simple question and have yet to hear an answer from you. I am just really curious how someone can bash a candidate like Hice but strongly support another in a different district like Loudermilk who is almost exactly the same as Hice. It just perplexes me and I am curious to hear your answer as to why.

Charlie July 15, 2014 at 4:29 pm

You’re an internet troll, and you have already consumed more time from me and many others than you deserve.

Go back to your prep school and let the adults talk.

DavidPerdue2014 July 15, 2014 at 5:33 pm

1. I am not an internet troll. I am a real person expressing my real views on your forum.
2. I am in fact legally an adult and I vote in Georgia.
3. I really just want you to answer my question…with all seriousness and respect. I am simply curious about your reasoning for supporting Barry Loudermilk and not supporting Jody Hice. I do not intend to waste your time.

Eric The Younger July 15, 2014 at 6:39 pm

We all have different perspectives on PP. I do not like Barr and find him, Hice, and Broun to be deleterious to Georgia as well as the Republican Party.

As for Loudermilk and Collins, I am indifferent. But either is a better option than their respective opponents.

George Chidi July 15, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Charlie may choose not to answer you at this point. I can’t blame him. However, I can tell you that he and I went a round on the Loudermilk thing a couple of weeks ago in this very thread, and he said that he had talked with Loudermilk often enough to form an opinion. One might conclude that Charlie doesn’t have the same personal history with Hice. There’s something to be said about seeing someone at work over a period of time to influence an opinion. It’s happened often enough to me.