Morning Reads for Tuesday, June 17th, 2014

Plenty of stuff happened today in history, from the Boxer Rebellion to Iceland National Day, but none of that matters because the United States beat Ghana in the World Cup yesterday. Morning Reads after the jump:

A portion of AMERICA, namely Georgia:

• I don’t know, it still sounds like a tax increase. Explain it to me again, APS. (ajc)
  • And Cobb is going to ask its voters to approve a SPLOST. (ajc)
  • Get ready Gwinnetians, your kids are going to be bilingual. Maybe. (ajc)
  • DeKalb County to spend $5 million to improve a YMCA? (ajc)
  • Let’s see if we learned something from the last housing bubble. I’m betting not. (ajc)
  • This is technically about the Florida Panhandle, but that’s really Greater Cairo, so check it out anyway. (BitterSoutherner)

1. Noway says:

Just an observation but our Dear Leader Erick has to be miserable at WSB doing the drive time ride from 5-7. I swear he only seems to have about 2 minutes of subject matter time before having to break away for Kirk Melish’s un-Godly repetitive weather updates, Ashley Frasca’s traffic blurbs butting into his train of thought and poor Belinda’s spider vein treatments and hair loss procedures! God give him strength!! Belinda’s a cute girl but damn she’s had to have had more work done than Joan Rivers!!

I appreciate the traffic updates but I can’t really listen to that segment of the broadcast anymore. I wish Erick was doing Herman’s gig. Herman might have worked for Burger King in the past but he TOLD more Whoppers on the campaign trail in 2012 than he ever SOLD working there. He’s horrible. He’s got to have nekkid pics of somebody to still have that job!

I hope Erick is looking to syndicate elsewhere, maybe WGST would do it for him. He’s too entertaining to be having that assignment much longer!

• Noway says:

Syndication would offer many nationwide stations, ala Rush and Hannity. Another station besides WSB would simply be the flagship. In any event, his current setup, to my eyes, has to be frustrating.

2. chamblee54 says:

1- I don’t like the politically correct expression “lethal injection.”
    2- Mr. Wellons is a nasty piece of work, who committed a horrible crime. He probably deserves to die. However, this is not always the case in a state sponsored, premeditated, killing.
    3- The whole business of using secret drugs, from a secret source, is appalling.
    4- I write about the death penalty on my blog. Many of the men (and one woman) UDS are horrible people. However, the state of Georgia is not smart enough to handle this procedure. We would, IMO, be better off without the death penalty.

• chamblee54 says:

Today is the 75th anniversary of the last public execution in France. On June 17, 1939, Eugen Weidmann was dispatched. The guillotine was used.
                The guillotine may be the most efficient, and least painful, method for executions. Unfortunately, it is rather messy. We like to pretend that we are a civilized society. There are endless appeals, and the humane seeming “lethal injection.”

• gcp says:

“We like to pretend that we are a civilized society.”

We have some members of our society who are quite uncivilized and have shown they can’t exist in this society which is why we have prisons and ultimately the death penalty. This murdering rapist lived on taxpayer expense much too long. A jury decided he should be executed and yes now the sentence should be carried out.

• MattMD says:

“I’m more classy that the murderer was to his victim.”

Well, it’s good to have standards, I guess.