Jason Carter Wants Answers, and We Have Them

June 13, 2014 14:55 pm

by Jon Richards · 9 comments

After the announcement today that lawsuits and potential lawsuits against the Georgia Ethics Commission were settled, Democratic Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter got on his soapbox to ask,

Georgia taxpayers are now on the hook for more than $3 million in settlements. These settlements stem from pending and threatened lawsuits by multiple former state ethics officials who were wrongly terminated following their investigation into Gov. Deal’s 2010 campaign.

Taxpayers deserve to know what Gov. Deal’s campaign did that they are working so hard to hide from the public. The cover-up continues, so not only do we have to pay $3 million, but we still don’t know what happened. The full investigation needs to be reopened immediately.

The good news is that we know what happened, and there’s no need to reopen an investigation. Jim Walls with Atlanta Unfiltered had the answer back on July 23rd, 2012.

Will Durant June 13, 2014 at 3:17 pm

No this is an answer to the original infractions and the penalties assigned by a neutered ethics committee. The answer needed is who forced the original committee members out without cause and that is what required the payouts of $3.3 Million. That is the full investigation we need.

Three Jack June 13, 2014 at 3:19 pm

+3m

Jon Richards June 13, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Look at the original question. Carter wanted to know “what Gov. Deal’s campaign did.” The campaign would have nothing to do with forcing committee members out.

bgsmallz June 13, 2014 at 4:47 pm

The idea that the ‘campaign’ would have nothing to do with forcing committee members out besides being semantics also ignores the fact that Deal spent $120,000 on campaign contributions to defend himself against other ethics charges….if you are trying to divorce the ‘campaign’ from the ‘governor’, it a’int happening.

Just so I’m clear…your point is that the investigation is complete because what else are we paying $3M in taxpayer money for if it isn’t to avoid subpoenas?

Bravo.

Chris Huttman June 13, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Maybe if Obama offered to have the federal government pay 100% of the cost of new settlements for Deal being unethical for the next 3 years, and 90% after that, Deal would stop being unethical.

atlanta unfiltered June 13, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I couldn’t figure out why my ears were burning until I learned my name had been invoked to suggest nothing would be learned from reopening the Nathan Deal ethics investigation. Jon, I don’t see how you could possibly infer that from my July 2012 article. I’ll be writing more soon to share some of what I have learned.

Dave Bearse June 13, 2014 at 10:01 pm

The smoking gun would seem to be the two Republican members of the commission working with the governor’s office to tap LaBerge as executive director before the Kalberman even quit. Prescient of them, wasn’t it? Or has Milsaps story that Kalberman quit been walked back?

Given the feds were aware of LaBerge being contacted and nothing seems to have come of it, we may never know who pulled the trigger.

jiminga June 14, 2014 at 7:27 am

Carter seems to be running on governor’s office ethics and providing education in GA. But he’s right on one thing, Georgia should have schools. Oh, wait…..

Dash Riptide June 14, 2014 at 9:32 am

“I’ll have the parsing with weak sauce…”

“Sir, parsing IS weak sauce.”

“Then I’ll just have the parsing. Hold the sauce.”

Comments on this entry are closed.