Julianne Thompson Endorses Jack Kingston for Senate

May 27, 2014 8:12 am

by Jon Richards · 9 comments

Now that we’re a week past the Senate primary, we will begin to see endorsements for the two remaining candidates in the Senate race from former supporters of Karen Handel, Phil Gingrey and Paul Broun, in addition to statements of support from individuals who were previously neutral.

This morning, Julianne Thompson, who previously supported Handel, endorses Jack Kingston. She issued a statement of support, including these words:

“Please join me in supporting Jack Kingston for United States Senate.”

The full statement is below the fold.

Julianne Thompson, Co-Chairman of the Atlanta Tea Party and a well-known state and national leader in the conservative movement, issued the following statement regarding the U.S. Senate race:

“Since the beginning of the Republican primary I was a very vocal supporter of my friend Karen Handel. Karen came in third in the primary and graciously commented on election night that we must remember we cannot give Harry Reid another seat in the U.S. Senate. I could not agree more.

“Over the past week I have taken great strides to study both candidates in the run-off for United States Senate…their stances on issues as well as the way they conducted themselves during their respective campaigns and upon winning the top two spots.

“As a conservative activist who has worked hard promoting the causes of limited government, free market capitalism, lower taxes, and a balanced budget it is important to me to back a candidate whom I know shares the same values. We do not need someone to be another member of the Senate Country Club. We need courage…someone who is strong enough to fight for our principles in an atmosphere that is sometimes very difficult. We also need someone who is accessible and respects the fact that the people that elected him will hold him accountable. That is why I am supporting Jack Kingston for United States Senate. Jack doesn’t just talk the talk, he has walked the walk and is the only candidate who has been in the trenches fighting alongside fellow conservatives.

“One would be hard-pressed to find someone they agree with 100% of the time. My husband and I do not even agree on everything, but if you find someone you can agree with 80% of the time you have found an ally, as Ronald Reagan once said. I agree with Jack much more than that, and after an extensive conversation I had with him this week, I know he is the candidate that can not only beat Michelle Nunn, but will also continue to put the best interests of Georgians ahead of politics and personal gain.

“The bottom line is our nation is in dire straights and there is no time for on the job training. Jack Kingston is a strong fiscal conservative with a 96% rating from American Conservative Union. He is a pro-life, pro-second amendment, Constitutional conservative that I trust. He has and will serve Georgia with dignity and diplomacy, and stands ready to fight strong and hard when necessary. He is ready to lead from day one.

“Please join me in supporting Jack Kingston for United States Senate.”

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

xdog May 27, 2014 at 9:26 am

A year ago no one could have predicted that Kingston would be the right-most candidate still standing. Yet today he finds himself forced to tack even further to the right since it’s the only path he has to running down Perdue. JK’s too savvy (I think) to have an Akin or Broun moment but I have doubts based on solid evidence that the tpers share his rhetorical discipline. Messages from outside ad buys won’t be under his control either and could be just as dangerous.

Shifting gears, I’m enough of a pedant that I cringe when I read ‘dire straights’. It’s as bad as ‘reigning in government’. People, at least proofreaders, should know better.

Three Jack May 27, 2014 at 11:38 am

This endorsement should create an interesting situation based on past statements by Julianne’s ATP co-leader. If you want to see what Dooley said about a Kingston run for senate, check back to last year on PP – http://www.peachpundit.com/2013/02/18/senate-race-starting-slower-than-expected/

Dooley said, “Kingston will not be the nominee and if he were, not sure what I would do.” Dooley also posted, “I never said Kingston was evil. I just said that I would not get involved in the process unless he made the run off .”

Runoff made, Kingston endorsed by Julianne Thompson…what say you Debbie Dooley?

Will Durant May 27, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Yes Virginia, you too can grow up to be President… of your own 501(c)(4) non-political social welfare organization.

gcp May 27, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Yikes. A “strong fiscal conservative.” This woman has a strange definition of “fiscal conservative.” Has she looked at his voting record? Just another reason to ignore her version, (or any version) of the tea party.

Harry May 27, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Everything is comparative.

debbie0040 May 27, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I have since changed my mind after watching the votes he cast the past year. I congratulated him first thing Wednesday morning .

Amnesty for those illegally in this country is a big issue for activists. I know where Jack stands.

I don’t agree with him on everything, but he is honest and I know where he stands. He doesn’t try to play games.

A little something you may have forgotten

Sent from my iPhone

gcp May 27, 2014 at 6:32 pm

“He doesn’t try to play games.” Well yes he does play games. His primary transition to a “fiscal conservative” is nothing but a game.

Stephen in Southside May 27, 2014 at 7:09 pm

How does this so called endorsement make the front page?

gcp May 27, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I guess it’s like any endorsement on PP; it’s done so the no-nothings and those that can’t make their own decisions know who to vote for.