Morning Reads for Friday, May 23, 2014

May 23, 2014 6:20 am

by Obi's Sister · 6 comments

Here:
- Two Georgians inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame: Bill Elliott and Rex White.
- Any Johnny Mercer fans out there? Head to Athens next Wednesday.
- More Savannah news – one of PP’s own gets a nod for something not related to PP.
- Galloway’s debrief of Tuesday’s primary. Especially take a look at that map.
- Ouch. A new stadium won’t help that.

There:
- “Really mad.” Or something.
- CNN’s crush may be waning.
- Races to watch, 2014 edition.
- Another team owner in the cross-hairs.
- Now there’s a bounty for the IRS ‘smoking gun’ in the targeting scandal(s).
- Tea Party as The Black Knight: Tuesday was merely a flesh wound.

Random Everywhere:
- NOAA’s 2014 hurricane forecast.
- Ah, the good ol’ days
- It’s so crazy expensive, even the CEO says “don’t buy it.”

And This:
- Fellow code monkeys! We now have our retirement date! Before this shows up on project plans.

OPEN THREAD:

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Jackster May 23, 2014 at 6:44 am

I caught John Schuerholz on the news last night saying that moving the braves wouldn’t have happened if it was done in the public square.

…which would be fine if their business model didn’t depend on a massive investment from Cobb County.

Two things on this one: I’m glad I don’t live in Cobb county (this time), and I’m still pissed Gwinnett bought the braves a minor league stadium.

I’m still waiting to hear how this is NOT a subsidy for a special interest, more worthy of Cobb’s tax dollars than other community investments, and what it would have taken for the braves to stay in Atlanta.

Harry May 23, 2014 at 9:16 am
Obi's Sister May 23, 2014 at 10:10 am

So that’s where I put that HR-Speak Manual…

xdog May 23, 2014 at 10:43 am

Both left and right surge in UK local council elections. Labour gained 170 seats, Tories lost 140, their Liberal Democrat coalition partners lost 150, but U.K. Independence Party was the big story, gaining more than 100 seats and becoming a real player in next year’s general election.

UKIP favors withdrawing from the EU and limiting immigration.

Voting for the EU parliament took place at the same time, although the results won’t be known until week-end. UKIP is expected to gain then too.

Will Durant May 24, 2014 at 11:07 am

Some of my Y2K patches will blow up in 2050. If people are still using that code at that point they will deserve what they get. Either way, by then I certainly won’t care.

Three Jack May 26, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Maybe this will be included in a future thread or daily news, but I had to post – http://www.cherokeetribune.com/view/full_story/25161665/article-Moore-posts-scathing-rant?instance=home_top_bullets – Check out the blame everybody but himself rant Sam Moore posted on his FB page. Dude just doesn’t get it.